PC World Bulgaria Uploads a 1660 TI Unboxing Video

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Earlier today, PC World Bulgaria appears to have accidentally uploaded an unboxing video of an MSI GeForce GTX 1660 TI Gaming X. The video has already been taken down, but pclab.pl, OC3D, and TechPowerUp all managed to grab some screenshots of the video while it was still up, more or less confirming the existence of the technically unannounced Turing GPU. Among other things, the new GPU appears to lack any noticeable RTX branding, and the cooler on this particular card seems to resemble the TwinFrozr 7 on MSI's RTX lineup. HardOCP still believes that the 1660 TI is launching on the 22nd with a MSRP around $279.

Looking at the card directly, we can clearly see that this new MSI graphics card is a Geforce GTX series part, lacking any RTX branding, confirming Nvidia's move away from the RTX brand name in their lower-end products. On the box, we can also see that RTX features such as ray tracing and DLSS are excluded, instead referencing Turing Shaders, backing up the rumours that the GTX 1660 Ti will lack both RT cores and Tensor cores. On the GPU's boxart, we can also see that MSI's Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X features plenty of RGB lighting locations and utilises an 8-pin PCIe cable for power. The major difference between this cooler and its RTX 2060 counterpart is the lack of Geforce RTX branding on the side of the cooler, which instead says Geforce GTX. The Twin Frozr 7 cooler design appears to be the same as MSI's RTX 2060 Gaming X model. On the topic of display outputs, MSI's GTX 1660 Ti offers three DisplayPort 1.4 connections and a single HDMI 2.0b connection. This GPU lacks support for VirtualLink and DVI-D.

"we can clearly see that this new MSI graphics card is a Geforce GTX series part, lacking any RTX branding"

uh, thanks. i guess.

"This GPU lacks support for VirtualLink and DVI-D"

Wait so i cant buy a DP to DVI dual link cable to run say my 27" ips 1440p monitor?

Wait so i cant buy a DP to DVI dual link cable to run say my 27" ips 1440p monitor?
I'm sure they simply meant that there are no VirtualLink or DVI-D outputs on the card. Not that it won't support those interfaces with an adapter.

Depends on what refresh rate we're talking about. All NVIDIA cards support dual mode DP++, as far as I'm aware, but there are no passive cables that support the data rate required for 2560x1440 above 60 Hz.

Depends on what refresh rate we're talking about. All NVIDIA cards support dual mode DP++, as far as I'm aware, but there are no passive cables that support the data rate required for 2560x1440 above 60 Hz.

It appears that DP requires "active" to use dual link. So the passive cables are all single link(even if they have the pins for dual link) and are limited to 1200p. and active are $$$, we are talking $100 adapters.

Well its nice to know that i need to buy a card with a dvi port. Its not limited to this card, it appears to be any video card. At least i learned something today.

It appears that DP requires "active" to use dual link. So the passive cables are all single link(even if they have the pins for dual link) and are limited to 1200p. and active are $$$, we are talking $100 adapters.

Well its nice to know that i need to buy a card with a dvi port. Its not limited to this card, it appears to be any video card. At least i learned something today.
DP++ in DisplayPort 1.4 supports up to 600 MHz, the issue is nobody makes a passive cable that supports this data rate.

IIRC - and I may very well not - I got a little over 70hz @2k before it shit the bed on me.

To be fair, ray tracing at the framerates we can see in BF V is very impressive. But despite that, it isn't enough. For the price tags involved, it needs to be in every game, have way higher FPS, and actually be visually worthwhile, beyond just shadows and some reflections. Polygons need to end fully if we're going ray tracing. Fully scene ray tracing is needed for it to be worthwhile.

But since that's not what we got, clearly the 1660 ti will actually be the unit-moving darling.

Oh, and the fact the first one they ship is the ti, and not use the ti nomenclature for a refresh down the road makes me lol.

I saw the video and I can't remember exactly but I think I saw 450 watt PSU recommended. However, the GTX 1050 Ti is 75 watts and a 300 watt PSU is recommended.

For those that care, from https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...-to-perform-at-gtx-1070-level-at-279-usd.html

index.png

[H]ard and many others have posted a lot of articles in the last 60 days on this card so I apologize if I'm reposting what's already been here. Interesting detail to note that the the 980TI has close to the same lead over the 1660TI as the 1660TI has over the 1070.

Back