PC Works fine - but fan LEDs blink?

Sungaisu

Limp Gawd
Just got myself a new NZXT Phantom case and installed two Xigmatek fans in it when I turn it on though the LEDs on the fans blink, including the top mounted 200mm - all the fans are spinning just fine though.

Not sure what's going on but I'm getting really annoyed watching these things blink every second. Any ideas of what it could be? PC specs in my sig.

I had this happen to me once before when I was fixing someone else's computer. It ended up being the power supply, You should try to reduce your load and see if it still happens, Maybe try without the video card, or with out the overclock. If it is your power supply Corsair is generally great when it comes to broken products. You might have also, reached a max load for this power supply. I'm not sure what this card uses.

Shoot - That's interesting to see though. I would assume that I would still be within my limit with this PSU.

Edit: I've lowered the OC down to 3.4GHz again and they're still blinking. I'll try to reboot and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Shoot - That's interesting to see though. I would assume that I would still be within my limit with this PSU.

I am not sure with the over clock and the card you might be getting close. The veliciraptor uses a bit too.... You don't have a kill a watt meter do you?
http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

If it doesn't blink without the card then your probably going to need a new power supply, the Motherboard that mine was hooked to never was fixed untill the computer was unstable, and by then all the Caps were popped on the motherboard. So I do suggest you check this out.

You can also, check you voltages with this. http://www.cpuid.com/

I literally JUST got this PSU from a 400w Corsair. I've only had it a week. and in my last case it was perfectly fine with the same amount of fans/video card/OC on proc.

I've unplugged two of the 120mm's, set all OC settings back to default and even took out a stick of ram to see if it helps.

Without the OC I'm pulling .273kw
.168kw without my TV (second monitor) on.

Hmm...

1. Are the fans plugged into the motherboard or the PSU.

2. Do you have another PSU that you can swap in, and do you have an another system that you can try the fans on to see if they blink there?

3. Well you wouldn't notice it unless you had the Led Fans, You didn't have any Led fans in their before this right?

4. What are the voltages like?

1. Fans are plugged into the NZXT's built in fan controller. Which I'm suspecting may be faulty.
2. I don't have another PSU that can power all my equipment
3. I had just as many LED fans in my last case - these are just brand new ones and they all blink in Sync - I can turn off the blue LED on the top 200mm, but I have the two Xigma's in the front that I can't turn off.
5. Voltage on what? CPU? .960 at the moment since it's in one of Intels fancy "Voltage Stepping" modes or whatever. When it's cranked to 3.4GHz it'll hit 1.184v it was at 1.27v I believe with the OC.

Edit: Apparently some of these cases come with a defective fan controller: http://www.nzxt.com/forum/showthread.php?8320-Fan-Controller-Issue

I guess I'll just unplug them from it and hope for the best from NZXT.

Last edited:
Are you able to plug the fans direct into the motherboard instead, or use a molex to fan adapter?

Don't worry about the voltages for now we will come back to them.

Would you just have another power supply that you can try the just fans on?

As I stated in my last message - It's apparently a common problem with this case. And NZXT claims it's a defective fan controller. I'll just plug them directly into the mobo/PSU. I'm happy to see it wasn't a PSU problem.

Just plugged them all into mobo/psu and none of them flash. It's the controller. I'm disappointed but I'm happy it's not something more expensive.

Ok, Good at least it's not your Power Supply. ;) NZXT should do something to replace the fan controller. Glad I was able to help Sort of. :)

I have a problem like that, Everythign works fine, only a led of 4 blinking.
So. the problem is the fan controller? Just change it with new one?

Back