PC won't cold boot unless I boot once without graphics card

tgabe213

2[H]4U
A few days ago I force shutdown the PC using the power button on the case. Once I tried booting, I only hear a *CLICK* from the PSU. If I hold the button, I can hear a very quiet, consistent, ticking sound, also from the PSU. I did a little searching and found a suggestion to boot without the GPU, then just re-install it. And that worked. I've had to do this 3 times now (running Windows 10 15002 and had some freezing/lockups).

Last night, I opted to gracefully shut down the PC within windows and didn't think twice. This morning, it wouldn't boot. Removed GPU, booted, then reinstalled, and everything is OK now.

Few items to note:
- During the 2nd or 3rd boot, I saw an "Overclocking failed" before getting into windows. I only had the default XMP profile on the RAM, no OC on the CPU as of now. Removed the profile and I've been running that way for the last day
- I've done some gaming on Rocket League since this first happened and the performance has seemed just fine.
- I've noticed I can't have 2 YouTube video's playing at the same time, One of them gets really hazy like bad TV antenna reception.
- Acer KG240 144hz over DP -> GPU
- (2) Samsung U2415 daisy chained together over DP -> GPU
- This is a very new build and had only been turned off once or twice since the original build. It was running for a few weeks when the first force shutdown occurred.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thoughts?

Last edited:
my vengance ram is flakey without a small voltage boost even xmp. might help

Well I had XMP applied to begin with. One of the boots said OC failed so I backed it off. That's where it's at as of right now. So it happened both with and without XMP (3200) applied.

yea mine was flakey at stock too but with a small bump i can run stock or xmp. sorry i wasn't clear

I've noticed I can't have 2 YouTube video's playing at the same time, One of them gets really hazy like bad TV antenna reception.
is it booting correctly now? I'm not too sure what would be causing this but if you haven't tried the ram voltage bump I would highly recommend it. your ram is rated at 1.35v so try 1.4v maybe 1.425 and see if that helps at all. kyle, myself and several others have talked about this issue in several threads. if the video thing continues, maybe try another psu if you can.

Back