PC won't boot into windows

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently, my PC has been restarting randomly. The odd part is it usually happens when I'm just browsing the internet. Until last night I haven't had any issues when gaming (BF2 and NFS:MW). The one BSOD I saw and the "system has recoverd from a serious error" messages pointed to driver issues so I cleaned the video drivers and re-installed them and thought the problem was fixed.

Only after gaming did the problems occur until last night BF2 froze leaving me with a loud beep/screech from my headphones. I did a hard restart and made it into windows but soon after the machine reset.

Currently I can boot into BIOS, make changes etc, but as soon as the last step in bios completes (verifiying DMI pool data I believe), it fails to continue onto the Windows XP splash screen. The screen goes black but does not power down which really confuses me.

I tried swapping video cards and also removed my Audigy 2 to narrow down a hardware issue and the same thing happens. Now I'm coming to you guys for help.

I tried booting into safe mode once, didn't work. Nothing has been changed lately but I've only had this PC up and running for few months. Parts include:

Chaintech VNF3-250 Skt 754 mobo
AMD 3700+ Clawhammer
512x2 Kingston HyperX DDR400
eVGA 6800GT AGP
WD 250GB SATA HD
WD 120GB IDE HD
Plextor PX-712A
Xclio 450watt PSU
Audigy 2

The processor, ram, opitical drive, IDE HD, and video card have been used in of other systems. The PSU, the 250GB hard drive, and the motherboard are new to this build.

Start by removing most of your components, boot with one stick of ram, and video out and that's it.

Make sure you're not overclocking. If you get things up, run an anti-virus, run a spyware remover, and run HijackThis!. Then come back.

I know I'm not overclocking. Home from work and did what you suggested however I left the system drive in because I obviously need it to boot to windows to know if it's working.

I unplugged my second hard drive and my optical drive and removed one stick of ram.

It booted into windows because I'm typing on the PC as we speak. Do you think this might indicate a PSU issue?

I think its your PSU, or your motherboard is going (check your caps), or it could just be a virus, also this can be caused by a network adapter going and the pc trying to net boot.

Both the PSU and motherboard are nearly new. I do have another mobo I want to swap so I guess I'll do that sooner than later.

I would try the RAM that has been my most common culprit in these situations.

If only I could figure out how to properly burn an ISO, might have to grab a floppy drive if I want to test the memory.

1) check your memory
2) what is the error code you get when you get the blue screen ? 0X ..... ?

In memtest go to configure and run test 5 ... that will point out any errors if any real fast ..

If you don't know how to get there just wait and be patient ... are your timings right ? Are you running at the rated voltage ?

So if you're running with the one stick, try it in all slots. This is to test the other slots. Then try the other stick, in each of the slots individually as well. You might find that both sticks work, just not in the configuration you were using before.

I don't think it's the PSU because if it's powering up, it's powering up. You'd see other signs of failiure, e.g. smoke, goo. . .if it was a slow decline (which isn't likely) or else it would just not function.

Then, slowly add each other component until you've got a complete computer or a bad component. If you think you've found a bad component, try removing as many of the other components, start with what you need (mobo, 1 stick of ram, CPU, HDD) plus the component in question. If it fails outright, it's probably a bad part or so incompatible it doesn't function with the parts you're not likely to replace. If it works, add the other components until you include the part that it is incompatible with.

It's a hell of a hobby.

I appreciate the input thus far but would like to try memtest. Like I said I'm unsure about buring an ISO but I did find a guid for Nero. I downloaded the so called ISO files from the memtest website but neither is labeled .iso. One is "BOOT" Security Catalog and the other is labeled "MEMTEST.IMG" I assume I should be using the IMG file but Nero doesn't recognize it. Is there a step I'm missing?

Back