PC version of The Divsion has been downgraded because of consoles

ShamisOMally

[H]ard|Gawd
http://whatifgaming.com/the-division-developer-insider-we-already-downgraded-a-few-things

Hey look, what happened to Watch Dogs on PC has also happened to The Divsion

You know people joked in the past that consoles were holding back PC gaming, but that has never been more the case than today

*EDIT* What irritates me the most about this, is that they gussy up the PC version and make it beautiful as hell, and that's the version they show at E3's, and then they downgrade it for the PC release

Not only are we being lied too, but console owners as well, I dunno what to think of Ubisoft anymore

Last edited:
I would take these articles quoting this dubious "insider" with a grain of salt. These claims are unsubstantiated and probably never will be. I'm not saying its complete bunk, but just be selective with what raises your blood pressure.

That said... fuck those French fucks.

Companies don't often remove features just to piss people off and get people to buy the console version. They remove stuff for parity because damn near every software project there has ever been runs out of time and budget before launch. It is easier to do QA checks, bug fixes, and gameplay tweaks on a similar set of features than it is to have one version drastically different than the others.

Meanwhile, the developers sit around meetings and talk about "When are we going to put XYZ back in" and the product managers go "We should have time before launch". it pretty much never happens since the product managers don't give a shit about what the game looks like and they only see pre-order numbers and hype. Meanwhile there are almost always hundreds of bugs sitting around in ticketing system that never got fixed. So when they do have time at the end of a project, do they spend that time polishing a PC release, or fixing bugs that affect every platform?

Plus they know enabling those features again could potentially causes performance problems (and in the case of Watch Dogs, it already runs bad on a PC) so the decision is made to make no changes.

What irritates me the most about this, is that they gussy up the PC version and make it beautiful as hell, and that's the version they show at E3's, and then they downgrade it for the PC release
That's the real kicker here. They're showing these FABULOUS pre-release demos, saying that it's actual gameplay, and then releasing something that looks a generation behind in comparison. It's possibly false advertising. Maybe it's people jumping the gun but more likely it's someone that is in marketing.

Unfortunately, people still need to buy their PC ports so they have an incentive to release games on PC. What people need to do instead of paying $60 for the new game on PC, is e-mail Ubisoft and say that they're willing to pay $30 since they're aware that the quality of the product they wish to purchase has been intentionally degraded and that paying full price for a defective product is not logical.

Probably won't see any immediate change, but I've answered two or three surveys on Origin telling them that Steam is the best and EA seems to be getting closer and closer to just copying Steam features so someone reads those things.

yup, I heard about this yesterday and while not surprised was really disappointed...the pre-release demos looked stunning...best graphics I'd ever seen on PC...I knew it was too good to be true

Remember that this game was originally only being developed for current gen consoles. In response to a community question they said that a PC version could be considered if enough people showed interest. Then a sizable petition helped push the developer to make a PC version.

Companies don't often remove features just to piss people off and get people to buy the console version. They remove stuff for parity because damn near every software project there has ever been runs out of time and budget before launch. It is easier to do QA checks, bug fixes, and gameplay tweaks on a similar set of features than it is to have one version drastically different than the others.

Meanwhile, the developers sit around meetings and talk about "When are we going to put XYZ back in" and the product managers go "We should have time before launch". it pretty much never happens since the product managers don't give a shit about what the game looks like and they only see pre-order numbers and hype. Meanwhile there are almost always hundreds of bugs sitting around in ticketing system that never got fixed. So when they do have time at the end of a project, do they spend that time polishing a PC release, or fixing bugs that affect every platform?

Plus they know enabling those features again could potentially causes performance problems (and in the case of Watch Dogs, it already runs bad on a PC) so the decision is made to make no changes.

I could almost go with this explanation if it only happened once with this particular company UBISOFT. But their track record says that this happens in every Ass Creed game. Literally every last one of them has something that is just wrong with it. Remember Ass Creed 3? Look at a vendor light bulb and lose 1/2 your FPS. They didn't even bother fixing it. How hard is it to fix a light bulb?

Then you have other companies that toss in High Texture packs after launch that show off the power of their game engines. It's a pride thing and it lets the PC crowd know that they want to sell to them. They don't have to be the most dramatic additions; just some extras that add a little more immersion to the game and let's you see what the designers really wanted you to experience before it got dumbed down for the console release. UBISOFT really doesn't care about the PC crowd. I wish they would go console exclusive personally. That way they can stop worrying if someone on the PC is stealing their games.

I think their studios are void of talent and incapable of delivering the gaming experience that their peers can in the industry.

But you know what...As pissed off and irate as you guys get you still buy the shit and the cycle continues.

Me: Hey there are already three Watch dogs PC downgrade threads....Oh wait this is for the Division.

Sigh

But you know what...As pissed off and irate as you guys get you still buy the shit and the cycle continues.

I don't know man. I think that some people think that buying the same flawed products from the same bad vendor will ignite a flame under the vendor to do better for their customers. Take for example Dark Souls 1. PC crowd bought the game even though it was flawed to show the vendor that we're interested in their IP. So in return, the vendor improved the Dark Souls 2. The psychology of buying from the vendor even though the initial product was flawed worked! Win win for both parties.

Then you have UBISOFT. You purchase their games even though flawed as hell to show them that the PC consumers have great interest in their IP. And in turn they seem to think that flawed games are what their customers want. :confused: This is completely the opposite reaction that the PC crowd was seeking when showing initial support for them!

So the question now is how do we change this perception that UBISOFT has of the PC community. This perception that we'll buy anything with the name UBISOFT on it regardless if it caters to the PC consumer. How do we get PC consumers to stop settling for second rate products? It's not like we're asking them to redesign the game or invent new textures for objects. Just use the same textures that worked just fine at the trade show. We know they exist. Just include them as a free DLC for those that want to use them. Think Skyrim, New GRID game that is releasing soon, Crysis, etc.

I wish there was a way to pass this message on to the CEO of the company. Maybe he could make the peons working for him see what the PC consumer is seeking? Otherwise the only other way to show them that we're not happy with their products is to skip purchasing them. Maybe then they will ask use why the sudden loss of interest in their wares? Maybe they will equate substandard features in games to a loss of game sales.

I could almost go with this explanation if it only happened once with this particular company UBISOFT. But their track record says that this happens in every Ass Creed game. Literally every last one of them has something that is just wrong with it. Remember Ass Creed 3? Look at a vendor light bulb and lose 1/2 your FPS. They didn't even bother fixing it. How hard is it to fix a light bulb?

Then you have other companies that toss in High Texture packs after launch that show off the power of their game engines. It's a pride thing and it lets the PC crowd know that they want to sell to them. They don't have to be the most dramatic additions; just some extras that add a little more immersion to the game and let's you see what the designers really wanted you to experience before it got dumbed down for the console release. UBISOFT really doesn't care about the PC crowd. I wish they would go console exclusive personally. That way they can stop worrying if someone on the PC is stealing their games.

I think their studios are void of talent and incapable of delivering the gaming experience that their peers can in the industry.

Bugs do come in prioritized. Fixing something that drops your frame rate will probably not be considered a high priority bug compared to something that could potentially crash the program. Personally for me, I've never worked on any project that's ever been high priority bug free by code freeze, and I seriously doubt it's any better at UBISOFT. Often, it's an approach of "Please hope our customer doesn't find this bug before we can put out a patch for it".

it's an approach of "Please hope our customer doesn't find this bug before we can put out a patch for it".

Then seven days after launch, that turns into "Well customers aren't reporting XYZ so we don't have to fix those. We should start working on the next project" :p

Bugs do come in prioritized. Fixing something that drops your frame rate will probably not be considered a high priority bug compared to something that could potentially crash the program. Personally for me, I've never worked on any project that's ever been high priority bug free by code freeze, and I seriously doubt it's any better at UBISOFT. Often, it's an approach of "Please hope our customer doesn't find this bug before we can put out a patch for it".

Patching bugs has never been a priority of Ubisoft.

Seriously this company is starting to make EA look less terrible.

Back