pc vendors which one should i buy from

exdeath85

n00b
yes im going to be in the market for a new gaming pc and just dont know which one to buy from i can spend between 1k-2k
i read that avadirect has fraud issues are any of these true and puget and just to dam expensive

i just one a good gaming rig and dont want to have to worry about bad tech support or dead on arrival

i have a list of possible pc vendors i might buy from here it is

Alienware
AVADirect
Maingear
Velocity Micro
Falcon Northwest
max force pc

or should i just build one at newegg?

any other vendors uall might have would be appreciated

Last edited:
Buy the hardware at Newegg, the case/fans/etc from FrozenCPU or Xoxide (Either are awesome...they both have a big selection, decent prices, and good customer service. Depending on where you are in the country, getting next-day delivery is not unusual.)

I ordered from avadirect in November of 08 and have had no problems. Cost seemed about on par with what the parts would set me back. Showed up, plugged everything in, installed windows away I went. Haven't had a single issue yet so can't comment on their support. If I get another PC will most likely order from them again.

Was nice not having to worry about the headache if you order it piecemeal from newegg and run into issues or defective parts. And cost seemed on par. Not worth doing it myself when for the same price I could just have them set it up and make sure it posts etc.

I bought my system from Max Force based on price,the ability to choose any parts I wanted and have the system overclocked,and the warranty. The build quality and wiring is excellent,and after a year and a half of heavy gaming I haven't had a single problem.

exdeath,

Please let Heather or me know if we can answer any questions for you about your new PC or Velocity Micro. We've been building award winning gaming systems for years now and would love to be able to do the same for you.

What it really comes down to is support.
Any of these vendors can build you a very good PC, the parts are all the same and are the same ones you and I buy.

The vendors put them together for you, plain and simple.

Then........the computer is tested and verified functional.
Then it's shipped.
Then you open the box and use it.

If it breaks, that's where you separate the good company from the bad one........do they haggle you over the phone and make you jump through a ton of hoops before it's fixed....or do they just fix it with the least amount of down time and hassle on your end?

Your focus should be on warranty length and ease of communication with the tech support. Do they have 24/7 contact? Is it in house or farmed out? will they send someone to your house to fix it?
How easy is it to get upgraded if you want a new GPU next year or RAM?
Do they support the OS?

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

well i think im gona wait till new tech comes out or atleast the price of the current tech come down a bit or until a game comes out and i need a better pc to run it rit now i have a nvidia 8600GTS 256mb vid card intel Q6600 processor and 2GB of ram ddr2 800Mhz 320Gb HD sata 1 its a dell xps 410 iv had it for a few years and iv had zero problems with it

when i buy a new pc it might be from avadirect or max force pc or someone like them with a great price point i dont need led light or liquid cooling cuz i never do overclocking

exdeath,

Please let Heather or me know if we can answer any questions for you about your new PC or Velocity Micro. We've been building award winning gaming systems for years now and would love to be able to do the same for you.

Why did you guys close your forums? I mean, I know that Joe guy was upset about your treatment of him, and you say it's not about that but about spam, but lots of other companies have no issues with their fans and customers on their forums?!?!

Last edited:
ya im gona wait till 2011 or there about for ati new hd 6k series or intel new cpu i want a gaming pc that uses less than 500 watts full load and still kick ass and i think once the new ati GPUs come out they will be more power efficient and intel chips will be down as well in terms of power draw im hoping for this anyways:)

building your own is generally cheaper, but you need to do a looot of research

Building your own can be cheaper, but due to the bulk quantities of components some of the bigger companies buy, that is not always the case. The companies that target the gamer market are far less likely to provide a good bang for the buck compared to those which have gaming machines but whose market focus is much broader.

Remember that the length of the warranty is a good reflection of how confident the company is on the quality of its product. I build custom rigs of all types professionally (I'm here at [H] as a tech hobbyist and professional, not a salesman though, so the point of this post has nothing to do with my company), and offer a three-year standard warranty which is upgradeable to six years, because I'm confident in what I build (or, perhaps more accurately, confident in the testing procedures I employ). Just something to keep in mind when comparing the various builders out there.

I've built my gaming PCs for the last 15 years or so, but if I was to buy from a vendor it would probably be these guys.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

I have only heard good things about their customer service, they have excellent part selection, build quality seems great, they are well reviewed, and their prices are competitive. Looking at their website they're also throwing in free CPU and GPU overclocking on top of 72 hour stability testing and burn-in. All that with a warranty, not bad, even I'm a little jealous. :)

Last edited:
If you feel comfortable with it, you should build it yourself.

I'd go AMD right now - the cost to performance is too good.

I'm putting up some hardware on the trading board later today, maybe you'll find luck there : /

Why did you guys close your forums? I mean, I know that Joe guy was upset about your treatment of him, and you say it's not about that but about spam, but lots of other companies have no issues with their fans and customers on their forums?!?!

Sorry about jumping in a little late (ok, a lot late, but better late than never).

TechPirate, I'm not entirely sure what happened with the forums--I came back to VM after they were already gone. I'll check in to the specific details, but I can pretty much assure you that it wasn't because of Joe or any other individual. Closing a company forum because of a single customer would be akin to using a nuclear warhead to kill a house fly...it makes no sense from either a business or customer service standpoint. Regardless, I'll talk with the guys at VM and see if I can clear things up for you...your question deserves an answer, and an answer you will get. :)

My role at Velocity Micro is to help current and potential customers with ANYTHING they may need--whether it's a question about a potential build, or a problem with any of our products. I'm here for you guys, so please feel free to contact me either by PM here or at my Velocity email. I'm a little late to help the OP, but I wanted TechPirate and all the others to know I'm around if you need me.

@exdeath85, I would also recommend to build your own computer: It's dead simple, educating, and makes a fun 2-hours workshop too. With your budget of $1-2K, you'll definitely make great savings.

I am too picky about components to ever buy a ready-made PC. I built my last one all from newegg parts over 3 years ago, it's now running perfectly on Win7.

There are many tutorials on the web to help you, but it's really not difficult.
Not sure you'll make great savings by waiting till 2012, but you'll most likely have a computer twice as powerful compared to what you can get today! ^-^

Honestly, I liked you better on the East Coast.

I am sure Velocity Micro is glad you're back there too.:D

im going to build my new gaming pc later this year once i get a job lol and im going to buy most of the stuff from newegg i have the build in the cart rit now just a lil over 2.5k here r the specs
antec 1200
corsair AX1200w
msi big bang-xpower
corsair 6gb ddr3 2000
intel i7 930
asus ENGTX460 DirectCU 2 of them in sli
Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 6gbs
ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET
Tuniq TX-3 Extreme Performance
Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm times 3 front 75 cfm ea
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm back two of them 35.5cfm ea
and 2 lite on drives

i believe all the stuff is retail but the harddrive
lol forgot OS thats another 140 bucks so total just a lil over2.5k

Last edited:
im going to build my new gaming pc later this year once i get a job lol and im going to buy most of the stuff from newegg i have the build in the cart rit now just a lil over 2k here r the specs
antec 1200
corsair 850hx
msi big bang-xpower
corsair 6gb ddr3 2000
intel i7 930
asus ENGTX460 DirectCU 2 of them in sli
Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 6gbs
ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET
Tuniq TX-3 Extreme Performance
Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm times 3 front
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm back one of them
COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 top
and 2 lite on drives

i believe all the stuff is retail but the harddrive
lol forgot OS thats another 140 bucks so total just a lil over2.2k

For your consideration:

case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._fortress_series_ft02b-_-11-163-161-_-Product

Cheaper fan selection and great vendor:http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scsf75cfms12.html

i rly dont want to spend more than 200 bucks on a case but thx for the fan site might get the fans from them

hi my good friend from cocoa is woundering if should he buy from avadirect or maingear or digitalstorm online he has a buget of no more than 3k he does not have access to a pc at the moment i told him to build him self but he wants a custom built pc with a 3 year warrenty from a good company so i told him about avadirect and maingear digitalstorm online. hypersonic is gone so there out alienware is owned by dell so there out puget system is just to dam pricy same with falcon northwest
i told him go with maingear or digital storm
so he wants to know which one u guys would recommend

Based on their ratings and feedback here,I'd say Maingear is the safest bet. They don't quite match Max Force in the options and pricing departments,but they have built a solid reputation for quality work.

Back