PC Upgrade: A quiet, high-end, nearly maintenance-free all-purpose machine

BusyBeaverHP

Limp Gawd
This PC upgrade of mine is geared towards high-end competitive gaming and content creation, such as HD image and video editing. In addition to being powerful, I'd also like my PC to be cool, whisper-quiet, and nearly maintenance-free at reasonable cost for the performance.

It's easy to get carried away with sheer power, but there is the acoustic footprint and temperature requirements to consider. It's an NP-[H]ard combinatorial optimization problem that I've looked at with six months of research.

04bigi7bcloseup.jpg

A 3770k fits the bill right off the bat. With a 77W TDP, it's powerful while maintaining a relatively small power footprint. The Noctua NH-D14's giant-size allows plenty of cooling headroom, which allows their already quiet fan to be voltage modulated down to 900 RPM. The 3770k runs at 4.2 GHz with dynamic voltage 0.9-1.2V.

I wasn't sure about the acoustic footprint of the two GTX 680's, but now that I have them for a week, they are barely audible (when idle) above the rest of the nearly-silent hardware and cool-running for a flagship card. They will allow me to max out many modern games at 120hz.

I didn't need anywhere near 1200W of power, the AX1200 was picked up on a $225 sale. It was too good for the price and a PSU is one component that I never, ever cheap out on. I've seen way too many instances of shoddily-made PSU's destroying entire systems. Note the 140mm fan, big fans pushes a lot of air but are dead quiet.

02bigi7awithlabel.jpg

With this much hardware, a HAF-X just makes sense.

Let's talk about hard drives. I'm a fan of modularity of storage. Having different kinds of data across different drives reduces the frequency of interrupt, reduces the write/erase load on the SSD, and makes defragmenting the spinning drives a lot easier.

06bigi7harddrives.jpg

OS Drive C - Samsung 830 128GB SSD: OS and Drivers.

Programs Drive D - Samsung 830 128GB SSD: Includes non-gaming programs, like Microsoft Office, Adobe CS, etc.

Dynamic Data Drive E - Crucial M4 128GB SSD: Includes cloud-synced data and Desktop Folder.

RAM Disk Drive F - 4GB of RAM: Used to offset write/erase cycles away from SSD. Includes TEMP and TMP folder, and internet cache.

Scratch Disk Drive G - 300GB WD Velociraptor: Used to store torrents in progress, completed torrents, and scratch files for things like HD content creation.

Games Drive M - 2x 1TB WD Velociraptor in RAID0: Self-explanatory. It's blazing fast--for spinning drives.

2xvelociraptor1tbraid0.jpg

Media Drive U - Partition 1 of 640GB WD Caviar Black in RAID1: Music, Photos, Creative Content, etc.

Archives Drive V - Partition 2 of 640GB WD Caviar Black in RAID1: Backup of Executables, Disk Images, and Creative Content.

USB Drive W - 160GB USB 2.0 IOmega Drive: Redundancy Backup

03bigi7airflowdiagram.jpg

Not a big fan of dust. To keep dust out, I maintain positive pressure in my case by flipping the top fans to intake. Of course, if all fans are intake, the incoming air needs to be filtered too. I used DEMCiflex filters specially made for my HAF-X case. They are fine as silk and keep all but the smallest particle of dust outside the case. Maintenance of dust only requires me to vacuum the external dust filters once a month.

All the 200mm intakes have 7V resistors on them to further minimize the acoustic footprint.

05bigi7c.jpg

08bigi7d.jpg

The PC in its natural habitat. The elevated position of the PC further reduces the amount of dust reaching it.

An Asus 120hz 27" VG278H monitor coupled with an HP 60hz 21" 2159m side panel makes for excellent gaming as well as everyday desktop usage.

Note the combination of cherry brown mechanical keyboard, the Razer Orochi mouse, and Kyle Bennett's Ratpadz makes simple tasks like moving the mouse around typing a complete joy to perform.

There isn't a single thing in my PC that's left more to desire... Granted, it's powerful, but it's not the most powerful I can get; it's a powerful compromise between power, temperature, and acoustics, and with those consideration, I literally got everything I wanted in my PC to the letter. I'm just going to sit pretty on top of this upgrade and enjoy it for years to come. Some stats and benches of my PC:

07bigi7systemspecs.jpg

09bigi73dmarkvantagesco.jpg

10bigi73dmark11score.jpg

Core i7 3770k @ 4.2-GHz ::: Noctua NH-D14
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ::: 2x Zotac GTX 680 4GB in SLI
32GB G-Skill Ares 1600 RAM ::: 1x Crucial M4 128GB
2x Samsung 830 128GB (non-RAID) ::: 1x WD Velociraptor 300GB
2x WD Velociraptor 1-TB RAID0 ::: 2x WD 640GB Black RAID1
Corsair AX1200 PSU ::: Cooler Master HAF-X Case
Asus VG278H 120hz Monitor ::: HP 2159m Side Panel

Last edited:
1TB raptors...very nice

I like my 450, been thinking about getting a 1TB to replace it.

130W idle according to Kill-a-Watt, I was impressed considering the amount of hardware packed in there. Then again, Ivy Bridge and Kepler were designed around efficiency.

At load, the highest I've seen is 450W while playing BF3.

Uw4Vny8.jpg

The Carrier has Arrived!

svpbhsxl.jpg

Changing of the guards... I essentially upgrade my cards upon a doubling of performance.
My upgrade history is HD4890 -> GTX680 -> Titan-X

wZh8dU5l.jpg

Backplated

vs2z8d1l.jpg

My Tower of Power

IIhL9Cfl.jpg

The damage... so glad I started out with a Corsair AX1200 PSU... which is perfect for this system now that the upgrades have matured.

--- --- ---

And here's the payoff, BF4 on Ultra + 4xMSAA with framerates limited only by CPU speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLPjwyZS3NE

Last edited:
Back