PC sales of MW3 make up less than 5 percent of all MW's sales

Shalafi

Fully [H]
According to figures by VGChartz, Modern Warfare 3 sold a total of 9.3 million copies on launch day making it the biggest industry launch of all time. The Xbox 360 version had 54% of the sales, the PlayStation 3 version had 42% of the sales, while the PC version and Wii version combined had the remaining 4%. As a whole, Modern Warfare 3 is up 33% over Black Ops first day sales, and up 55% over Modern Warfare 2 first day sales.

They should just give up on making their MW games for the PC, they simply won't sell well at all on the PC.

PC gamers as a whole are smart after all to avoid this turd.

The thing is you're just looking at pure percentage. In terms of numbers 5% is still something like 475 thousand copies. That isn't exactly a small number.

PC gamers as a whole are smart after all to avoid this turd.
I am not sure you are looking at this in the right light. You should be comparing the percentages PC normally makes up for AAA games first. Then you'll get a better idea of where MW3 sits in comparison. Additionally, the 4% comes out to around 372,000 sales, right? That is $22 million in sales.
You can't really claim any of the things you did without comparing them to other games that are multiplatform. For instance, it would be interesting to know how BF3 was divided amongst platforms, and then see how its fanbase is divided by platform in comparison to the CoD series.

The thing is you're just looking at pure percentage. In terms of numbers 5% is still something like 475 thousand copies. That isn't exactly a small number.

It's 465,000 copies. You're right it isn't a small number, but CoD 4 sold somewhere around 3 million or so copies on the PC. Huge difference, and yes, some of those are over the life of the game itself.

But wait, they said that's for the Wii AND the PC combined, so I have no idea what the true number is, but I don't think anybody believes that the Wii sold anywhere near 100k copies :p

As I am at work, I cannot go to VGchartz.com and look up the info for myself, so if someone else would like to do that, they could post that information here, otherwise, I am off of work shortly and will do that myself when I got home.

I got this information from the Wikipedia entry when I was curious about how well MW3 sold.

At least it's less than BF3 PC sales, which is near 1 million. Game companies have a captive audience with console gamers.
Console gamers are so dependent on playing with their friends, that they have to buy the same games in order to have fun.

It's 465,000 copies. You're right it isn't a small number, but CoD 4 sold somewhere around 3 million or so copies on the PC. Huge difference, and yes, some of those are over the life of the game itself.

But wait, they said that's for the Wii AND the PC combined, so I have no idea what the true number is, but I don't think anybody believes that the Wii sold anywhere near 100k copies :p

Yeah I did quick Google assisted math so I made sure to say "something like" in case it was wrong. Either way, yeah it is a big difference. Acti's focus is on the 360 for the series and it shows. They push all of their advertising on the 360 and don't give any real attention to other platforms, it's starting to show in their sales numbers.

I highly doubt the Wii version sold that much so I'd guess at least 250-300k of it is PC sales. Not a bad number, but not super great.

Yeah I did quick Google assisted math so I made sure to say "something like" in case it was wrong. Either way, yeah it is a big difference. Acti's focus is on the 360 for the series and it shows. They push all of their advertising on the 360 and don't give any real attention to other platforms, it's starting to show in their sales numbers.

I highly doubt the Wii version sold that much so I'd guess at least 250-300k of it is PC sales. Not a bad number, but not super great.

Just shows that PC gamers are either buying the games for their consoles instead of the PC or those who play PC games exclusively are abhorring it in favor of BF3 or just skipping the series entirely.

while the PC version and Wii version combined had the remaining 4%

I can't decide which group is the saddest, the PC gamers that still purchase CoD games or the Wii gamers that have to play it on a Wii.

If they put forth a modicum of effort on the PC platform then people might buy it on there. But of course, that would require putting forth a modicum of effort in developing the game, which is obviously not something they're interested in doing.

Percentage wise this is down a whole 1% from Black Ops according to vgchartz, but higher in terms of absolute numbers -
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/82685/call-of-duty-black-ops-sells-7-million-copies-on-day-one/

A significant (possibly a majority now) of sales are digital on the PC. Steam represents the largest digital retailer, and they do not release absolute numbers.

MW3 had peak user numbers of 75k+ today for multiplayer and 45k+ for singleplayer. What were the numbers like for other games at launch for Steam this year? Maybe Portal 2 was better (can't remember)?

MW3 is currently outselling Skyrim on Steam (no idea by how much), Skyrim is also steamworks, $60 launch MSRP, a major release, and is available at less digital retailers than MW3.

Speaking of relative sales performance, what games will possibly outsell MW3 this year on the PC? BF3? TOR (PC only)? Witcher 2 (maybe in units and not revenue, PC only launch, lower launch numbers)? Portal 2 (lower day 1 numbers, maybe in units not revenue)? Football Manager 2012 (maybe in terms of units and not revenue, PC only)?

Percentage wise this is down a whole 1% from Black Ops according to vgchartz, but higher in terms of absolute numbers -
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/82685/call-of-duty-black-ops-sells-7-million-copies-on-day-one/

A significant (possibly a majority now) of sales are digital on the PC. Steam represents the largest digital retailer, and they do not release absolute numbers.

MW3 had peak user numbers of 75k+ today for multiplayer and 45k+ for singleplayer. What were the numbers like for other games at launch for Steam this year? Maybe Portal 2 was better (can't remember)?

MW3 is currently outselling Skyrim on Steam (no idea by how much), Skyrim is also steamworks, $60 launch MSRP, a major release, and is available at less digital retailers than MW3.

Speaking of relative sales performance, what games will possibly outsell MW3 this year on the PC? BF3? TOR (PC only)? Witcher 2 (maybe in units and not revenue, PC only launch, lower launch numbers)? Portal 2 (lower day 1 numbers, maybe in units not revenue)? Football Manager 2012 (maybe in terms of units and not revenue, PC only)?

I can tell you that both BO and MW2 multiplayer peaked out on concurrent players on Steam at right around 130k. MW3 has not approached that number yet.

I can tell you that both BO and MW2 multiplayer peaked out on concurrent players on Steam at right around 130k. MW3 has not approached that number yet.

Not matching previous numbers doesn't mean MW3 is a failure and that they should stop selling it to PC users since no one wants to buy it though. I mean if we use this as a barometer, than no one might as well make PC games.

For record (and I've said this before) I don't have an interest in COD and have never bought it (even when it "started" as MoH). It just doesn't interest me compared to alternatives having tried it here and there. That being said it obviously interests a very large amount of PC gamers even, and only extreme statistical manipulation would suggest otherwise.

Meh, who cares, COD should just stay on console anyway.

You could say the same thing about BF3... this military sandbox shit has been played out for a while now.

Not to worry though, I'm sure BF4 and MW4 will be out by Spring 2012.

Wait wait wait... WAIT....

Since when in the hell do we believe VGChartz? They're known to be shit for console sales accuracy and downright stupid for PC sales, especially for a Steamworks title. Here I was thinking it was only console fanboy morons using it to fuel their fanboy wars, turns out PC elitists use it to fuel their pointless arguments too.

We wont know anything unless Activision announce it themselves.

EDIT: Also, comparing it to BLOPS, according to VGChartz again, PC sales were 4.5% of total sales... since the total sales has risen 33%, that actually means MORE people on PC have bought MW3 than BLOPS....

EDIT2: If you look at the MW2 as well, its even worse, MW3 has sold more a larger ratio on PC AND MW3 has sold more titles in total. The trends are all pointing toward more PC players buying COD... at least according to the bullshit numbers of VGchartz. :p

Sorry Fail, looks like PC gamers are falling deeper to the clutches of COD ;)

Last edited:
If it is true, this will just mean that the PC versions of future COD games will become even more stripped-down due to the perceived tiny market. Big publishers like Activision are not willing to admit that more sales on the platform will require more effort when a minimum-effort game like CODMW3 breaks every sales record available.

A check on Steam stats shows that MW3 MP is still the most played game at peak today. Honestly I think that's impressive, that they've been doing that since MW and that trend still carries on to MW3 now.

Of course that's just among Steam users, but at least within the Steam community, I don't see a massive shift of COD fans away from their latest title yet.

A check on Steam stats shows that MW3 MP is still the most played game at peak today. Honestly I think that's impressive, that they've been doing that since MW and that trend still carries on to MW3 now.

Of course that's just among Steam users, but at least within the Steam community, I don't see a massive shift of COD fans away from their latest title yet.

lol So it barely beats 1 CS game on release day? Also just among Steam users? The game requires Steam.

I remember when MW2 had more players than CS, I told people to wait a month or two and CS would be back on top... and I was right. TF2 went F2P and everyone was so happy it beat CS. I told them to wait a month and CS would be back on top... I was right again.

Wait a month and CS will be back on top.

5% is very low

I wouldn't miss CoD if it didn't appear on the PC again. Tired rehashed game-play with an ageing engine. Lost interest completely, shame as I used to enjoy the games.

I almost wish that they wouldn't have made MW3 for PC at all due to all the crying people are doing on forums this week. "OMGZ THE GAME ENGINE IS SO OLD! GFX ARE LAME! DOESNT USE DX12!!! JUST DLC1!11"

Gets old after a while. And of course the PC crowd is going to hump BF3, it's got better graphics. Duh.

Finally I don't understand why any PC gamer is upset with MW3 PC sales, especially since the game is 100% made for consoles.

lol So it barely beats 1 CS game on release day? Also just among Steam users? The game requires Steam.

I remember when MW2 had more players than CS, I told people to wait a month or two and CS would be back on top... and I was right. TF2 went F2P and everyone was so happy it beat CS. I told them to wait a month and CS would be back on top... I was right again.

Wait a month and CS will be back on top.

Yeah, CS is some kind of mutant plague that people dont seem to get bored of playing. It outstrips a lot of games in the number of people still playing it. Does BF3 have "number of people playing" stats? That'd be a more interesting comparison.

I wonder if Steam purchases are accounted for the total number.

Steam doesn't sell a ton of games themselves unless there's a sale. They admitted the sale numbers increases 3x on the same title when the prices are reduced below $19.99.
You would think with a user base of 25M+, PC games will sell 500K-2M copies the first week on Steam. Realistically, the sales numbers are around 100-250K on average for PC games through Steam.
I wouldn't think MW3 sold more than 300K on Steam.

Just look at the disparity between the number of people online daily versus the people playing games.
Out of millions of users, only around 60-70K members each are playing the most popular titles. While on consoles that number can reach beyond 1M.

Last edited:
Steam doesn't sell a ton of games themselves unless there's a sale. They admitted the sale numbers increases 3x on the same title when the prices are reduced below $19.99.
You would think with a user base of 25M+, PC games will sell 500K-2M copies the first week on Steam. Realistically, the sales numbers are around 100-250K on average for PC games through Steam.
I wouldn't think MW3 sold more than 300K on Steam.

If it sold 300K on Steam that would probably at least double the total PC sales of the game.

If it sold 300K on Steam that would probably at least double the total PC sales of the game.

I was being generous but you have a point. But looking at the total user base of Steam which is beyond 25M, that's pretty sad for such a popular title.
It just shows people are done with COD on PC. Like Fail said, it would be less of a headache(don't have to deal with the PC community whining) to just release it for consoles exclusively.
I'm one of those who believe in devs putting in the effort on each platform. When they don't show any effort to innovate I rather not see it on PC.

I was being generous but you have a point. But looking at the total user base of Steam which is beyond 25M, that's pretty sad for such a popular title.
It just shows people are done with COD on PC. Like Fail said, it would be less of a headache(don't have to deal with the PC community whining) to just release it for consoles exclusively.
I'm one of those who believe in devs putting in the effort on each platform. When they don't show any effort to innovate I rather not see it on PC.

I really couldn't care less one way or the other. COD being on the PC doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not a fan so I have no need to bother caring about it. The PC gaming community will still suck if COD games stop appearing on the platform, people will just bitch about it not showing up.

I have CoD 4; I don't need a new Modern Warfare Call of Duty. CoD4 was pretty much perfect. I'm not going to pay $60 for a slightly modified version of the same game.

Infinity Ward has been remaking the same game since CoD4. It's fucking pathetic that people race out to buy the same game that was released years ago with a couple of new guns and new maps for full price!

At least Treyarch does soemthing different with their releases. They don't stick to the same worn out theme every time. W@W was pretty good, Black Ops was also pretty good. Treyarch seems to know what people want. Infinity Ward is just stuck in a rutt doing the same thing over and over again.

It's selling like hotcakes on all platforms no matter what. Projections around have it possibly be the best selling game of the entire year, period.

It is what it is. Not much else to be said without potentially insulting people.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll avoid almost anything that's from Activision in itself (excluding Blizzard). If they shock & amaze with a game, sure I'll go for it. Bobby Kotick has been driving Activision into the ground with sub-standard games for too long.

There are some good devs under Activision's roof but they suffer from Kotickzilla's narrow doom vision.

Just shows that PC gamers are either buying the games for their consoles instead of the PC or those who play PC games exclusively are abhorring it in favor of BF3 or just skipping the series entirely.

I got sick of the whole linear CoD style even before the first Modern Warfare came out so skipping this is nothing new for me. The friends I know that are getting it will only get it on one of the consoles to just be able to play with non-PC-gamer friends. Just wish they could resist the urge at some point so there would be an incentive for the industry to innovate a little.

I dont think online sales are taken into account. Most PC game purchases these days are through an online service.

A WorldExclusive post that I can agree with, well done.

Meh, who cares, COD should just stay on console anyway.

That's the sad part for me. COD was what dragged me into the series years ago, and I have been hooked all the way to the first Modern Warfare. MW2 was an absolute let down, and I won't touch the series until the price drops to about $1 per hour of SP game time. Another great game series following in the steps of the fallen: Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy. RIP!!! At this rate all my games are going to come from Bioware, and Bethesda.

Of course, I play COD for the SP story and not the MP. If I want MP, I go for the Battlefield series.

Every new AAA Steamworks game does that. Brink was the top played game for a few days when it came out. Now you won't even find it on the top 100 list even after numerous patches and a free DLC pack. They tried really hard to polish that turd, but alas, they could not. The fact that MW3 multiplayer's initial peak is already significantly lower than BO and MW2's tells me that it will sink down even lower than its predecessors once the hype has died down. BO was WAY on top for a while, but once its hype died down, MW2 actually OVERTOOK it in daily peak playerbase.

The same thing is likely to happen in a few months with MW3 because its a less compelling, less good version of its predecessors. It feels like a step backwards in wacky fun and variety from MW2 and it feels like a technical step backwards from the better PC support that BO got.

Back