PC RPG suggestions

Kiggles

Gawd
Been scoping out PC RPGs for a good while now, and with a few exceptions (and even few notable ones) it seems like every last one as of late is an MMO. Not to disrespect the genre, but I can't see the two as comparable. MMOs just aren't my bag. So networked or singleplayer

I've abused Morrowind, so everyone who's going to suggest it, sorry. :)

Any help you folks can give I would greatly appreciate. I've really looked but I can't see much more than cookie cutter games out there. :(

OH YEAH! One last thing... please avoid suggesting any games with isomentric perspective point and click interfaces. They were fun (and occassionally still are) years ago, but I've played so many games in virtually the EXACT same format across so many different genres that I am driven to tears as I attempt to once again "suggest" my way through a game world.

Gothic
Gothic 2
KOTOR 1&2
I hated NWN, but many love it.
Morrowind < I know you abused it, but it's required that I list it. :p

I know I'm missing some. But all that comes to mind is Diablo 1&2 and Dungeon Seige.
So yeah, this turned out to be a rehashed list of what was said. But I put time into it so I'm going to post it anyway. :p

[EDIT] HA! Thought of one.
Vampires The Masquerade

Or get an NES emulator and go through Final Fantasy 1 and some of the Dragon Warrior games. Or on the SNES go through Chrono Trigger or FF2 &3.

I like a lot of the above suggestions, but I also thought Sacred was a pretty cool game. Also, it has a sequel (or expansion pack) coming out soon called Sacred Underworld.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Checked out some screens for Gothic/2. Seems like about what I'm looking for. Is there any reason I should NOT go straight into Gothic 2 without playing the first? If it doesn't matter I'll see if I can hunt down a copy this week.

Anymore suggestions are still welcome. :) Just realized I should have made a list of what I have and have not played, but ah well. The extent of it is largely Morrowind and KoTOR1+2.

Thanks again.

EchoMatrix said:
FALLOUT 1 AND 2!!!!!!!!!!!

AND 3 THIS NOV APPARENTLY :)

Really? part 3?
hmm...link info?

But yes..FALLOUT 1 AND 2
Great RPGs and a must have

Vampire Bloodlines was really good too.
Baldur's gate.

How old are we goign back on RPGs? We don't know what you have played.

Edit: heh. Just noticed you posted this exact question.

Kiggles said:
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Checked out some screens for Gothic/2. Seems like about what I'm looking for. Is there any reason I should NOT go straight into Gothic 2 without playing the first? If it doesn't matter I'll see if I can hunt down a copy this week.

They both use the same engine so graphics wise you won't notice a difference. So I would play Gothic 1 first so you can get the back story.

Holy crap! Gothic2 is $14.88 at amazon.com! :eek:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...519246-4842500?v=glance&s=videogames&n=229534
You can't afford not to buy it! :D

Wow. Gothic 1 is $46.86. While worth every penny, you might want to play G2 and see if you like it enought to get the prequil.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...519246-4842500?v=glance&s=videogames&n=229534

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I picked up the Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago for $40.00.

It includes the original campaign, both expansion packs (Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark), and about a half dozen or so mini modules.

It's an older game, but I'm having a lot of fun with it and you get A LOT for the money with the Platinum Edition.

I'm a huge Gothic series fan.

I highly suggest both them. However playing the second one you can without the first, it gives you a bit of the main story when you start. Also the characters you meet you can (through dialogue) ask them for back-info about who they are/what happened and things. However it will not hurt to play gothic I so you can get the backstory more in-depth aswell as get to know the characters, since quite a few characters are from the first game.

Also whoeover said the games looked excatly the same, uhh no. Gothic II looks a lot better/more detailed, it's not going to look as good as today's games no, but it looks pretty good for when it came out. The foilage and the handcrafted world is what makes it nice. It's fun to simply explore the lands because the developers put quite a bit of artistic thought into the design/layout of the land, moreso then morrowind imo.

If you liked morrowind you'll probally like the gothic games. They are very open, you can go out and about and do what you want. For gothic II there are basically three different "factions" you can play through the game as (which will make playing it different for each faction you go through it with). However unlike morrowind it keeps you interested in the story, so you don't really just get out there and then forget about the story and end up getting bored that easily after a while.

Also there's an expansion for Gothic II, called Night of the raven. However it is only released in germany, and it doesn't seem like it's going to come to the US.

However the english fans have translated it all out and have a patch so that you can get the expansion and play through it in english.

You can find a lot more info about gothic I/II/expansion at www.rpgdot.com in the Gothic I/II sections aswell as the forums whcih I suggest you read if you get it.

Also There's a gothic III in the workds :) which will be coming to the Us/UK and other countries aswell.

recommend fallout series. Thats the number one game in my all time list. Never enjoyed it so much. the gore, the splatter of the ribs and intestines when you nuke a jackhammer into them.

When the hell does Elder Scrolls 4 come out? There's your answer, but you have to wait.

I've been very surprised with how great Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines has been for me. I love that game and I recommend it as well.

There isn't enough that can be said about having a severed human arm as a weapon. :D

Sacred, Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, and quite possibly Dungeon Lords (the demo just came out a little bit ago).

Haven't played it yet, anyone recommend Arx Fatalis? I've heard good & bad (occasional jumpfest) about it. There's also a part 2 in the works or released.

Baldur's Gate, and Tales Of The Sword Coast and any additional fan written modules that are out there.

Then take the character into Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne Of Bhaal plus any additional fan written modules (The Darkest Day - or Longest Day maybe).

Absolutely amazing. Sure - it is point click, but far better than any others (especially the risible Temple Of Elemental Evil which I really liked in it's paper and dice form).

If you want more story than that there's always Planescape. If you want less story and more mindless violence, there's the Icewind Dales games. All of these by the same guys and of equal quality.

Another gamer suggesting the Gothic games :)

The new Gothic 3 pics and articles are just amazing :eek: I'm still overwhelmed by the screenshots and information bits even though I saw them 3 days ago :p

Does this forum allow the posting of scans??

Sacred.

Stay away from NWN. It pissed me off with its craptastic pathfinding.

While it's not great on a PC, Final Fanstasy 7 / Final Fanstasy 8 is nice games to play.

Kiggles said:
Been scoping out PC RPGs for a good while now, and with a few exceptions (and even few notable ones) it seems like every last one as of late is an MMO. Not to disrespect the genre, but I can't see the two as comparable. MMOs just aren't my bag. So networked or singleplayer

I've abused Morrowind, so everyone who's going to suggest it, sorry. :)

Any help you folks can give I would greatly appreciate. I've really looked but I can't see much more than cookie cutter games out there. :(

OH YEAH! One last thing... please avoid suggesting any games with isomentric perspective point and click interfaces. They were fun (and occassionally still are) years ago, but I've played so many games in virtually the EXACT same format across so many different genres that I am driven to tears as I attempt to once again "suggest" my way through a game world.
Too bad about your view of isometric games ,since you are going to miss Fallout 1,2 and Planescape: Torment. Considering most good RPG's are isometric you are out of luck, Morrowind is a sub par pos.

Banko said:
Too bad about your view of isometric games ,since you are going to miss Fallout 1,2 and Planescape: Torment. Considering most good RPG's are isometric you are out of luck, Morrowind is a sub par pos.

That's only your opinion. Myself, I loved Morrowind. To each their own... ;)

Back