PC Restarts when shut down via IR Remote

Namakan

Gawd
So my PC isn't strictly a HTPC but I've got a TV tuner with remote that I use with Windows Media Center in it so I hope this is the right section. I'm having a problem with shutting down the computer with the power button that's on the remote. I often want to just power the machine down when I'm done watching whatever I'm watching so I use the power button on the remote. However when I power down via the IR remote, the PC immediately just turns back on again. I have to go the computer and shut it down with windows or the power button on the tower. I've googled around but I can't seem to find a solution to this.

My specs are:
i7-4770k
GTX 770
8GB RAM
Asus z87-plus motherboard
Hauppage 2250 TV Tuner

EDIT: I should add this is Windows 8.1 Pro

Last edited:
Initial guess is that the TV tuner software isn't sending the shutdown command properly to the PC.

Any sort of update you can do? (Sorry, not familiar with any sort of TV tuner)

Initial guess is that the TV tuner software isn't sending the shutdown command properly to the PC.

Any sort of update you can do? (Sorry, not familiar with any sort of TV tuner)

I have the latest drivers for it, however they are quite old

Do you have a W7/Pre W7 box you can test the TV tuner in?

Not sure if this still applies (Sorry, helping you with limited knowledge of the W8 and of TV Tuners)

Usually the power button on media center remotes put the computer to sleep. I would guess that your ethernet card is waking your pc up. Look in the power management tab of your card and disable everything that you don't want to use. The main culprit is usually Wake on pattern match, or link.

To OP - Have you tried using the WMC Tasks menu to shutdown the PC vs. using the Power button on the remote? If it works w/out using the power button, when we know it's more likely due to the IR code being used.

If same results persist, then it could be what Renapd said.

Usually the power button on media center remotes put the computer to sleep. I would guess that your ethernet card is waking your pc up. Look in the power management tab of your card and disable everything that you don't want to use. The main culprit is usually Wake on pattern match, or link.
I disabled the ability for the network card to wake the machine in device manager, no dice.
To OP - Have you tried using the WMC Tasks menu to shutdown the PC vs. using the Power button on the remote? If it works w/out using the power button, when we know it's more likely due to the IR code being used.

If same results persist, then it could be what Renapd said.

This seems to work yes. I can shut down with the button inside WMC. However I still have to get up and go to the machine because it says "These apps are preventing shutdown" and it lists WMC. Pressing sleep does make it sleep.

I've had something similar happen before. It turned out to be the oddest thing. I chased it down to a delivery truck that always went by when it happened. At first I thought it was the driver with one of those universal shut off fobs. But after there was a different driver I came to the conclusion that it was actually a combination of the truck and my 50 year old front bay window. I put a small piece of cardboard by the HTPC to block the light from the front window and it stopped happening. I've never had it happen after I got new windows.

Very strange.

I had an issue with Win 8.1 and homegroups. If I put my HTPC in my homegroup, the pc would not sleep at all. Are you sharing drives on your HTPC or have any streaming programs running on other pc's on your network?

So just to be clear, you only have only one remote and when you use this one remote to shut off the PC, it shuts off for a moment and then powers on again?

Back