PC restarts when playing a game

is it warped around the cpu socket, maybe you hsf is too tight? if so, loosen it a bit and see if problems go away. seen others complain aboot this with asrock boards...
I swapped out my massive HSF for the stock intel a couple weeks ago. Still restarting/shutdown during stress test but hasnt in a game for 2 weeks.

The reason your PC could be rebooting on its own is overheating. If the CPU gets too toasty, your PC will shut down to save itself.
hmm, you'd think the cpu fan would be blowing at max speed if that were the case but the fan is relatively quiet. Before I changed the HSF temps were in the mid 60s, now with the stock Intel HSF I've seen temps into the 70s.

You might be on to something about overheating... I've been stress testing the faulty pc in my study today, rather than in the living room. In here its out in the open (but a wall is 4 inches behind it where hot air exhausts) and temps are about 7 - 10 degrees C lower than in the living room. After 2.5 hours of Furmark testing its still going with no end in sight while in the living room it was shutting down within 15-20 min. In the study the cpu is 65C, gpu is also 65C but in the living room both of those temps go up to around 73 or 74 if I remember right. Still, does 74C count as overheating? Perhaps something else is overheating? motherboard? ram? psu?

The only other difference between the two rooms I've tested in is in the study I dont have any peripherals connected. In the living room I have a wireless keyboard dongle, xbox 360 controller adapter, xbox one adapter, external hard drive, and dualshock 4 adapter connected. Also in study I'm using dvi rather than hdmi output.

Kind of seems to me that I need to get the temps down a bit. Perhaps cut out the back of my entertainment center so hot air can escape.

Just wanted to give one final update...

The restarts/shutdowns got so bad that I could no longer play a game for 45 - 60 min before it happened. Was shutting down in 10 min.

So I emailed ASRock and the RMA process was pretty easy, I got the replacement back a week after mailing in my board.

And no more shutdowns. Everything is working perfectly again. I wish I knew why the last one broke so I could make sure it didnt happen again. Since the board is not very rigid, I was very careful when pushing anything down on it. Also using a HSF that is 1lb less than what I was using originally.

Back