PC probs all of a sudden.

ReTiCuLeX

Gawd
Hey guys, lately my PC has been acting funky. I bought a new Mobo and video card ( switched to PCI-E ) and my Internet explorer after an hour or so, stops responding for some reason, my I.E. screen goes white I'm forced to exit it ( not responding ). I try to bring up task manager, and it just won't come up at all. I can try multiple times, task manager will stay in my taskbar, but not come up on screen. I put back my old parts, reformated again and yet it still does it. I have no clue what's the problem. Faulty hard drive? Ram is bad? I have my main hard drive for 3-4years now, Seagate 120GB SATA. I've been doing Fast formats, maybe a full format would eliminate this?

Thanks in advance,
John

P.S. I've tried Service Pack 1a which comes with my WinXP Pro retail cd and I've tried Sp2. Last time I tried upgrading to SP2, it said NTLDR was missing?? That's when i formated again.

You can test the ram using memtest86. Run it over night and if it reports no errors you can be pretty sure it is not your memory.

Next download a program from seagate that can examine the integrity of the drive in question.

A missing NTLDR error can point to a failing hard drive. I have got this error once after removing the system drive from the computer. You can copy a new NTLDR from the windows disc.

Hey Roaf, thanks for the tips bud. I ran Memtest 86 overnight, not one error in 14hrs.
Installed my new mobo and and videocard, did a full format this time. Seems to be working okay so far, but last time it took time before it slowed down. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Cheers,
- ReT

Back