PC power supply to power car amp/sub

DeeFrag

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's a question to pick you power supply guys' brains.

I've had a decent Phoenix Gold 12" sub and 300W rms amp that hasn't been in a car in over 2 years. It's been sitting in a corner collecting dust. I was thinking about hooking it up to my TV/receiver/DVD player as a subwoofer. Reasonable sound quality, not exactly audiophile quality, hey it's free :)

Since even I'm not crazy enough to run it anywhere near max. would a power supply be able to give enough 12V juice to power the amp? The amp is 300Wrms @14.4V with a max. continuous current draw of around 30A, max peak current draw of 50A. (heh cheap amp manufacturers would have rated this amp at 720W since 14.4V x 50A = 720W) Are PC power supplies able to supply a fairly variable 0 to 10A load on the 12V rail? or would the variable draw fry something? I have access to 300W to 400W cheap power supplies for basically free. hell I'd even spend $40 on a cheap new PS since that would translate to $40 for a 12" sub system :D

Spent $600 on that stuff 5-6 years ago, wouldn't mind putting it to some use. The speaker box is making a nice end table right now :p

maybe you could try hooking up a few of those power supplies in parallel and buy yourself a 1 farad capacitor, then you might have enogh power, but try and get yourself a 1 or 2 ohm resistor to control how fast the capacitor charges :)

mike_6289 said:
maybe you could try hooking up a few of those power supplies in parallel and buy yourself a 1 farad capacitor, then you might have enogh power, but try and get yourself a 1 or 2 ohm resistor to control how fast the capacitor charges :)

I second that advice
use a cap, and limit how quick it will charge, or it will blow up the PS even quicker

Back