PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR @ [H]

Frankly I'm shocked you don't ding companies for modular cables, there are problems with this. Granted you aren't going to see them right away, but wait two years. I'd never use a PSU with modular cables.

Well part of the limitations here is we can't run a power supply for two years in order to see what it will do then that would obviously be cost and time prohibitive ;)

As for the modular cable issue it is really an issue of smoke and mirrors. A properly constructed modular unit will not result in an appreciatively shorter service lifespan than a nonmodular from the documentation I have and the units I have worked with. PC Power and Cooling has been a big opponent of modular cabling as they do not service that market directly yet they are fine with warranting third party modification of their unit.

Well part of the limitations here is we can't run a power supply for two years in order to see what it will do then that would obviously be cost and time prohibitive ;)

As for the modular cable issue it is really an issue of smoke and mirrors. A properly constructed modular unit will not result in an appreciatively shorter service lifespan than a nonmodular from the documentation I have and the units I have worked with. PC Power and Cooling has been a big opponent of modular cabling as they do not service that market directly yet they are fine with warranting third party modification of their unit.

I'm aware it's not possible to conduct a 2 year review of a PSU, however part of the reason some people purchase PC P&C products is their reputation for creating a PSU that simply won't die. They've never been a great value you're really paying for peace of mind.

As for modular cabling that's a different issue. While PC P&C is obviously going to trumpet the issues with it as to why they do not use it there is some truth to it. Even if it comes down to simply shoddy manufacturing it opens up the potential for more problems over the long run. If somebody wants to roll the dice on that simply so they can wire their case a little neater that's on them. My comment was more directed to the people blasting the PSU for not having modular cables. Frankly a performance work horse part shouldn't be about pretty cabling, it should simply work.

I guess I also don't feel a ding over packaging is fair either.

Does their target market really care about bling packaging and modular cables, probably not.

They just really need to cut it with the entire "silencer" mantra.

I guess I also don't feel a ding over packaging is fair either.

Does their target market really care about bling packaging and modular cables, probably not.

This two fold. One is the purchase effect. If a user just dropped $500 on a power supply and it shows up as it did it does not promote the quality of the brand. You only get one first inpression and all those cliches. They are cliches but it is true, you have to present your product in a way that promotes your message. Had the unit shown up in the same box but literally had all of the electrical specifications, wiring diagrams, loading information, warranty information, something telling the user they can have the unit modified by PC Power and Cooling, contact information, and a test report it would have presented itself as being something someone was proud of and as being the best unit out there with absolutely nothing to hide (as it is Enermax so far has done the best in this). As it came it was something slung in a box by someone who didn't care. The second fold is the usefulness of the information. As I have answered in a number of emails now the other reason for this is probably the only time a user will care about all of this (other than the warm fuzzy feeling they get when they get the box) is when something does go wrong, and even though it is a PC Power and Cooling things do go wrong. These are the precise times when a user would need this information and the times when they are frustrated with a product. Which, would be the least advantagous time to upset them further by not being able to contact the manufacturer, troubleshoot, know if the product is in warranty, where to send it, if there is a loading issue etc. I hope that helps explain why the blank box especailly on a $500 unit is a sticking point.

They just really need to cut it with the entire "silencer" mantra.

Yes, It is indeed nowhere near quiet even though some people may claim otherwise i could find no circumstance were it was when running.

i'll admit, i skipped to the conclusion page first.

when i discovered that there wasn't the gold seal of approval on this unit, i was suprised.

This two fold. One is the purchase effect. If a user just dropped $500 on a power supply and it shows up as it did it does not promote the quality of the brand. You only get one first inpression and all those cliches. They are cliches but it is true, you have to present your product in a way that promotes your message. Had the unit shown up in the same box but literally had all of the electrical specifications, wiring diagrams, loading information, warranty information, something telling the user they can have the unit modified by PC Power and Cooling, contact information, and a test report it would have presented itself as being something someone was proud of and as being the best unit out there with absolutely nothing to hide (as it is Enermax so far has done the best in this). As it came it was something slung in a box by someone who didn't care. The second fold is the usefulness of the information. As I have answered in a number of emails now the other reason for this is probably the only time a user will care about all of this (other than the warm fuzzy feeling they get when they get the box) is when something does go wrong, and even though it is a PC Power and Cooling things do go wrong. These are the precise times when a user would need this information and the times when they are frustrated with a product. Which, would be the least advantagous time to upset them further by not being able to contact the manufacturer, troubleshoot, know if the product is in warranty, where to send it, if there is a loading issue etc. I hope that helps explain why the blank box especailly on a $500 unit is a sticking point.

Quite frankly a lot of my upper end PC equipment has shown up in simple white boxes lacking in information, especially WC equipment.

The way I look at it is this. Anybody willing to shell out for a PC P&C product is typically the type of user that already looked into it and has all that information, and isn't going to be sold by a pretty box anyways. They do offer tests and all sorts of other information, you can just go check on their site.

They've been pushing PSU's for a while now, and, to the best of my recollection, they've always had spartan documentation and packaging. Though I've never (up till now) heard anybody take issue with it.

Yes, It is indeed nowhere near quiet even though some people may claim otherwise i could find no circumstance were it was when running.

A quick gander over at their site indicates they aren't selling the 1kw under the silencer line. Granted they still claim "amazingly quiet", but it's worth taking into consideration. Makes me wonder how loud it really is, my silencer 750quad certainly is not.

As mentioned earlier in this thread the 1kw is still an "older" model. I'd like to see a review on the 750 quad silencer, since that seems to be the one priced more competitively, more people have it, and is a modern build.

beautiful review plain and simple. Once again Paul you really provide an excellent review.

These are the precise times when a user would need this information.

I already stated, I have three PCP&C units, they all came with documentation. If I can find it I'll fax it to you.
I researched the shit out of my purchases......of course all three of my PSUs are over 18 months old, and now its all good to review PSUs; granted I love all the reviews and wish they were there 2 years ago......
but, if you are going to put down top dollar for a PSU, something that until about a year or so ago wasnt even thought of, I'd bet you're going to do your homework.

Man, I read the specs on the web. I know the dimensions, how the wires are laid out,even the color before I order something.....not to mention how good support is and how difficult someone is to do business with.

Thats why I'm ok with a plain box. If I want to get someone on the phone or look at spec sheets I can go to the web site.

Like I said, I'm dissapointed in the review. I thought these guys would do better. But it doesnt change a thing about the three units I have right now; top notch. I'll just look closer when its time to buy a new one.

I think you may have missed some key points. The unit costs $500, does not live up to the billing, is not efficient, is exceeding loud to the point of being uncomfortable (subjective sure), and is bested by a large number of units on the market in all tests save for one. Like the conclusion said when it was released it surely was good but now it relation to the market there are many many better options.

yeah, you know it's too loud when the [H] crew needs to leave the room during testing................ :eek:

They didn't get paid enough... or maybe they did, just by a competitor to OCZ....

uhhhh dude, are you insinuating that Kyle and the gang take bribes from companies to do poor reviews of a competitors product? Because (and Kyle, please don't ban me for flaming Mr. n00bie here............) if you are, you need to take your n00b self up out of here until you can learn to keep your stupid conspiracy theories to yourself. Did you join up JUST to post that? How can you come in here and accuse [H] of anything like that? Dude, please take your 1st-degree asshattery somewhere else........

Overall I had some mixed reactions to the review but thought in the end it was well done.

The lack of a manual is something they should get dinged for as this is a retail boxed product. They should have one that at least has contact numbers and warranty information.

"Amazingly Quiet Cooling System "

This is something that they should really get knocked for. I know the reviews here don't really go into sound like others do but this is crap.

Efficiency rating.

PC Power is based in the US. I think they should show the rating based on 120v testing due to this. I don't care about 220v testing. Only time you see that in the US with computers is in server rooms. Now if they choose to list the efficiency at both input voltages then it is even better. In this case they either tested it at the higher voltage or the unit didn't come close to hitting what they claim at 120. Either way it is bad.

I think personaly if they had not claimed up to 80% efficiency and hadn't claimed that it was quiet it may have been good enough for a silver rating. Seems to be a pretty good unit. It is just that others are making better products. With any luck the replacement for this will really be up for the fight with other vendors.

Hummm...
Everyone seems to think PC power and Cooling PSUs are loud. I'd like to see a [H] review of the Silence 750. Mine is quiet and I'm pretty sure its under a hefty load. I saw someone mention that the Seasoinc and Cosair620 is the same PSU as the Silence 750. Thats got to be some BS. The seasonic and cosair have multiple 12V rails. The Silencer does not.

Paul/Kyle, another well written article.
It's too bad that the product doesn't meet up to the new competition.
On a side note, I still have a pair of 500/650 watt AT form factor psu's running to this day from 96/97 powering my water cooling/hdd's.
There is a reason people buy from PcPC. The plain jane boxes have always been there, always will be, if that ever changes, i'll probably stop buying them.
If you want support on the product, it's in the US, you speak to someone speaking english and you get your problem fixed. Not that i've had to call them to fix anything, but it does make a difference.

If you want support on the product, it's in the US, you speak to someone speaking english and you get your problem fixed. Not that i've had to call them to fix anything, but it does make a difference.

My one support call I've had to them (about a year and a half ago), I stumped the tech support operator. So they put me on hold for about 40 seconds and then I was put on the line with the engineer who designed the Turbo-Cool 510. Let me say my answer was more than adequate.

How many companies have that kind of tech support.

Yeah customer support was mentioned a number of times in the article including the conclusion.

Disappointed in th review ? No, I am not!!
You need to consider who is doing the reviewing as well as there past comments and opinions on the PC Power & Cooling line well before they got there hands on one!!

There comments are well documented on these forums.....

Needless to say we all knew they were not quiet!! so whats new??

Most people know that PC Power & Cooling has useds teapo caps forever almost.
Yet if you go to a site like www.badcaps.comyou will need to search but a member of there team put it this way - teapo caps are just fine if they are ventilated properly!! Yet teapo caps on motherboards is a completely different animal.
you will see there stance on teapo caps is very simply put.....there is nothing wrong with teapo caps when used in a PSU that has proper ventilation.

Then again alot of people are using PC Power & Cooling units and its rare to heave any sort of issues with these units!!
Sure every company has a few lemons but to criticize the company for using Teapo caps is just plain amateurish!! In fact you could say the review was searching for things that could be listed as wrong with this unit.....

You guys at ]HardOCP really need to get your act together as far as criticizing the Teapo caps used in most all PC Power & Cooling Units!!

Okay I am off my high horse!!
It was a well thought out review and I will give you this it is a 2 year old unit and YES there are most likely other brands out there now that could be as good.....but lets sit back and see a few years from now!!

The manual issue at best is laughable if not pathetic on the reviewers part....
Most people using PC Power & Cooling PSU`s are not your everyday 13yr old looking to get a industrial grade power supply!!
None of my 3 PC Power & Cooling units came with a "manual" and the box was almost as plain as plain could be....except for some red lettering..

A good comparison would be JohnnyGURU`s review of the unit verses the review done here!!
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=49

Finally you don`t do a review and then ding the PS PSU maker for what they advertise.....
Reviews are based on the unit itself NOT there advertising!!

As was pointed out earlier any PSU company worth there salt will be advertising the way PC Power & Cooling does!!

I have a feeling that deep down this was hardly an unbiased review!!

Although if you leave out comments that have nothing to do with the review then perhaps its was over all a fair assesment of a 2 yr old PSU!!

Over a good job guys!!

The review was ok, although you guys were about one "Biggest Baddest Power Supply - Period" away from making me vomit.

After my first 425W Turbo-Cool back in the day (mmm, like 6 years ago) I swore I would never again buy one of their dust-busters. There's loud... and then there's Turbo-Cool loud. All I had to do was look at the pictures you took of that 3 bladed 80mm Delta fan and the oversized, cramped power supply and I started having flashbacks much like the heroes of D-Day watching Saving Private Ryan.

PCP&Cs image was further sullied when my 410W Silencer died after a year of powering a moderate system. Their bulletproof image took yet another hit when the replacement died almost a year to-the-day after that. The replacement for the replacment is now sitting in it's Nihilistic looking box that it came to me in... relegated to psu purgatory for it's utter, complete failure to serve my purposes in an acceptable way. The biggest slap in PCP&Cing's face was when I offered to give it to my brother for his system when his junky AeroCool psu died and he turned it down because he didn't trust it. Bang! Shot to the head.

After that I went with an Antec 480W NeoPower that died an early heat-induced capacitor death. The replacement Antec sent me for that one is a 500W NeoPower that's working out great in my 2nd computer.

Now I'm back to a PCP&C 750W Quad Silencer for my main system. It's doing quite well... which it better be. This is the "do or die" for PCP&C. If this psu doesn't last me like... oh, forever, we'll shake hands and go our seperate ways, no hard feelings.

Still, I'm all for industrial style packaging. I despise bling. The spartan, no-frills packaging of EVGA is what originally drew me to them. PCP&C is the same way. And frankly, if you need a fucking manual to install your new psu, just put it down and let someone who knows what they're doing install it for you. Antec puts a nice manual in their psu's and look how many dipshits still hooked the 4x2 pin connector up wrong to their Asus motherboard and said the psu was crap.

Sure every company has a few lemons but to criticize the company for using Teapo caps is just plain amateurish!! In fact you could say the review was searching for things that could be listed as wrong with this unit.....

...Every single power supply review they have done has investigated primary and secondary caps. This is not something they specifically singled out about the pcpc... wow.

Looks like OCC-Yoda is excited with the abundant use of the ! LOL

Another excellent article [H]. :)

I'm quite happy to see my recent decision to purchase a TT TP 1200 over a PCP&C 1KW-SR was quite a good choice. One of the main decisions that affected my purchase was price. After having a product out for so long I found it quite difficult to get around the $500 price tag, even with their reputation.

I have long been a non-exclusive fan (read: non-fanboy) of PCP&C PSUs because they flat-out worked and provided stable voltage rails. When [H]ard|OCP reviewed the TT TP 1200 I did a bit more research and found many users who were quite happy with the product. I took the plunge and am quite happy I did after reading [H]'s review.

The review was ok, although you guys were about one "Biggest Baddest Power Supply - Period" away from making me vomit.

After my first 425W Turbo-Cool back in the day (mmm, like 6 years ago) I swore I would never again buy one of their dust-busters. There's loud... and then there's Turbo-Cool loud. All I had to do was look at the pictures you took of that 3 bladed 80mm Delta fan and the oversized, cramped power supply and I started having flashbacks much like the heroes of D-Day watching Saving Private Ryan.

PCP&Cs image was further sullied when my 410W Silencer died after a year of powering a moderate system. Their bulletproof image took yet another hit when the replacement died almost a year to-the-day after that. The replacement for the replacment is now sitting in it's Nihilistic looking box that it came to me in... relegated to psu purgatory for it's utter, complete failure to serve my purposes in an acceptable way. The biggest slap in PCP&Cing's face was when I offered to give it to my brother for his system when his junky AeroCool psu died and he turned it down because he didn't trust it. Bang! Shot to the head.

After that I went with an Antec 480W NeoPower that died an early heat-induced capacitor death. The replacement Antec sent me for that one is a 500W NeoPower that's working out great in my 2nd computer.

Now I'm back to a PCP&C 750W Quad Silencer for my main system. It's doing quite well... which it better be. This is the "do or die" for PCP&C. If this psu doesn't last me like... oh, forever, we'll shake hands and go our seperate ways, no hard feelings.

Still, I'm all for industrial style packaging. I despise bling. The spartan, no-frills packaging of EVGA is what originally drew me to them. PCP&C is the same way. And frankly, if you need a fucking manual to install your new psu, just put it down and let someone who knows what they're doing install it for you. Antec puts a nice manual in their psu's and look how many dipshits still hooked the 4x2 pin connector up wrong to their Asus motherboard and said the psu was crap.

A manual (at least one of any worth that is) doesn't just give you instructions for the install of your PSU. It gives you MTBF info, hold up time, overshoot, inrush current, rise time, PG signal characteristics, OVP min and maximums, storage and operation conditions and some will list the OCP limits per rail and other niceties. If I buy something I expect to get a manual with it, period. You don't buy a car and not get a manual with it or buy an appliance and not get a manual and even your vaunted EVGA products come with a manual. Just because you're of the mindset that "real men don't need manuals" it doesn't make it so. I RTFM every time I build a PC and out of at least 300 builds I've yet to have a PC not work upon first boot.

And, no, not everyone that buys a PC P&C PSU is an uber tech-head. I know lots of neophytes that buy them simply based upon hype, word of mouth and reviews. A review that fails to mention the glaring lack of a manual is erroneous in that it's not giving the potential buyers of that unit a heads up on what they'll be missing and letting them know that "Hey, if this is your first build you're high and dry with this unit bub".
"Blah, blah if you need a fucking manual to install your new psu blah, blah.."
I'm sure you were just born with the knowledge of how to build a PC, hell I know that from the first day I was hauled kicking and screaming from the womb I knew everything there was to know about electronics components... oh, shit, wait a minute I didn't. I learned by buying parts RTFM's and doing it. I hate seeing people with your attitude, it brings the hobby down as a whole.

I don't know if you are part of the semi-conductor industry but if you are, you should know Teapo caps don't have that great of a past history. They seem to be getting better but I think it would be prudent to wait for long-term results before coming to any conclusion.

they [are] not quiet!!
PC Power & Cooling has useds teapo caps forever almost.
.....there is nothing wrong with teapo caps when used in a PSU that has proper ventilation.
None of my 3 PC Power & Cooling units came with a "manual" and the box was almost as plain as plain could be....except for some red lettering..
And those are things that I'd like to see in a review, thank you very much. Would you rather have them omit information about the PSU?
In fact you could say the review was searching for things that could be listed as wrong with this unit.....
Well, duh. Isn't that the whole point of reviews? What did you intend to get out of this review when you went to read it?

I think it's really a case of resting on their laurels for too long and relying on their competition not to innovate. Also it'd be nice to see them stop spreading FUD crap like their bullshit "tech notes" about how modular cables are bad, how single large-diameter fans are bad, how multiple rails are bad, etc.
Agreed 100%. The lack of modular cables and the use of only a single 80mm fan will keep me from buying a PCP&C unit. Silence is important to me. I got tired of listening to Delta / Tornado fans a long time ago.
Frankly I'm shocked you don't ding companies for modular cables, there are problems with this. Granted you aren't going to see them right away, but wait two years.
What??? Do you really think these companies building modular PSUs are going to build crap, put it on the market and suffer the long term consequences of those actions? People have long memories when they fell they’ve gotten screwed. Some people still bash OCZ for things done under the previous ownership. I’d say Thermaltake putting a 5 year warranty on their PSUs sort of shoots holes in your 2 year rhetoric.
I'd never use a PSU with modular cables.
And I personally would never use a PSU without modular cables.
As for the modular cable issue it is really an issue of smoke and mirrors. A properly constructed modular unit will not result in an appreciatively shorter service lifespan than a non-modular from the documentation I have and the units I have worked with. PC Power and Cooling has been a big opponent of modular cabling as they do not service that market directly yet they are fine with warranting third party modification of their unit.
Bingo Paul, you hit the nail right on the head. So PCP&C won’t SELL modular units but it’s perfectly OK for their resellers to modularize them. Now someone please explain that to me. The fact is PCP&C is LOSING sales due to the fact they DO NOT sell modular units directly. Maybe now that OCZ owns them someone will be forced to wake up and smell the coffee.

Kyle, kudos to you and all of the staff. I'm very impressed by the number, quality and breadth of reviews you have been doing over the last few months. Keep up the good work.

A manual (at least one of any worth that is) doesn't just give you instructions for the install of your PSU. It gives you MTBF info, hold up time, overshoot, inrush current, rise time, PG signal characteristics, OVP min and maximums, storage and operation conditions and some will list the OCP limits per rail and other niceties. If I buy something I expect to get a manual with it, period. You don't buy a car and not get a manual with it or buy an appliance and not get a manual and even your vaunted EVGA products come with a manual. Just because you're of the mindset that "real men don't need manuals" it doesn't make it so. I RTFM every time I build a PC and out of at least 300 builds I've yet to have a PC work upon first boot.

Well, not to knock your technical skills, but I haven't had a PC not work upon first boot in a long time, and the only time I can think of before that it was because I hadn't pushed down the front panel connector tight enough. I never said anything about not reading manuals. You just assumed that on your own.

I also don't think any of the manual info you listed above has any bearing on whether or not you install it correctly. It's nice to know, but if you can get it from their website then it's fine, and if you're only reading that info after you bought the power supply, you didn't do your homework anyway, so it's a bit late to worry now.

In fact, back in the day, most people just used whatever generic power supply came with their fancy new case. You were lucky if you even got a 4x4" piece of paper telling you anything at all. I never remember people blowing up motherboards or killing themself plugging in their psu.

Don't associate me with EVGA. I used them as an example.

I'm a firm believer in reading a manual... when necessary. If you need instructions on how to plug in a psu (I can possibly see instructions for a modular psu or multi-rail psu) I still stand by my previous statement.

And, no, not everyone that buys a PC P&C PSU is an uber tech-head. I know lots of neophytes that buy them simply based upon hype, word of mouth and reviews. A review that fails to mention the glaring lack of a manual is erroneous in that it's not giving the potential buyers of that unit a heads up on what they'll be missing and letting them know that "Hey, if this is your first build you're high and dry with this unit bub". I'm sure you were just born with the knowledge of how to build a PC, hell I know that from the first day I was hauled kicking and screaming from the womb I knew everything there was to know about electronics components... oh, shit, wait a minute I didn't. I learned by buying parts RTFM's and doing it. I hate seeing people with your attitude, it brings the hobby down as a whole.

If you don't know how to plug in a psu then you have no business setting up a PC. If you're learning how to install a psu while you're doing it for the first time, you already failed and should have checked up on it first. There's plenty of guides online.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you at all on your assessment.

I don't know if you are part of the semi-conductor industry but if you are, you should know Teapo caps don't have that great of a past history. They seem to be getting better but I think it would be prudent to wait for long-term results before coming to any conclusion.

Teapo caps in and of themselves are hardly crap!!
Even the good people at bacaps.com have stated in the past that Teapo caps when peoperly ventilated and used ina PSU are not bad caps!!

When used on a mother board they seem to have issues...

What I find interesting is PC Power & Cooling have been using Teapo caps forever and with proper ventilation they are good caps!!

So I guess your statement withour being specific is merely FUD!!

Now if you qualify your statement and say when usaed un motherboa

A manual (at least one of any worth that is) doesn't just give you instructions for the install of your PSU. It gives you MTBF info, hold up time, overshoot, inrush current, rise time, PG signal characteristics, OVP min and maximums, storage and operation conditions and some will list the OCP limits per rail and other niceties. If I buy something I expect to get a manual with it, period. You don't buy a car and not get a manual with it or buy an appliance and not get a manual and even your vaunted EVGA products come with a manual. Just because you're of the mindset that "real men don't need manuals" it doesn't make it so. I RTFM every time I build a PC and out of at least 300 builds I've yet to have a PC work upon first boot.

And, no, not everyone that buys a PC P&C PSU is an uber tech-head. I know lots of neophytes that buy them simply based upon hype, word of mouth and reviews. A review that fails to mention the glaring lack of a manual is erroneous in that it's not giving the potential buyers of that unit a heads up on what they'll be missing and letting them know that "Hey, if this is your first build you're high and dry with this unit bub". I'm sure you were just born with the knowledge of how to build a PC, hell I know that from the first day I was hauled kicking and screaming from the womb I knew everything there was to know about electronics components... oh, shit, wait a minute I didn't. I learned by buying parts RTFM's and doing it. I hate seeing people with your attitude, it brings the hobby down as a whole.

I found much of the information you refer to printd on the box and most people who buy a PC Power & Cooling PSU contrary to what you think have done there homewaor and already have the info that you statd would be nice...

Even if they provided that information - you think somebody who just knows they have a power supply will really be able to use the iformation such as "rise time".."inrush current"...lol

Nice try but think again!!

The car analogy is just uber wrong.,...sad in fact!!

I found much of the information you refer to printd on the box and most people who buy a PC Power & Cooling PSU contrary to what you think have done there homewaor and already have the info that you statd would be nice...

Even if they provided that information - you think somebody who just knows they have a power supply will really be able to use the iformation such as "rise time".."inrush current"...lol

Nice try but think again!!

The car analogy is just uber wrong.,...sad in fact!!

What? You don't get manuals with cars? If so you're not the brightest bulb in the box and besides... was I even addressing your pathetic attempt at a post? I think not.

Well, not to knock your technical skills, but I haven't had a PC not work upon first boot in a long time, and the only time I can think of before that it was because I hadn't pushed down the front panel connector tight enough. I never said anything about not reading manuals. You just assumed that on your own.

I also don't think any of the manual info you listed above has any bearing on whether or not you install it correctly. It's nice to know, but if you can get it from their website then it's fine, and if you're only reading that info after you bought the power supply, you didn't do your homework anyway, so it's a bit late to worry now.

In fact, back in the day, most people just used whatever generic power supply came with their fancy new case. You were lucky if you even got a 4x4" piece of paper telling you anything at all. I never remember people blowing up motherboards or killing themself plugging in their psu.

Don't associate me with EVGA. I used them as an example.

I'm a firm believer in reading a manual... when necessary. If you need instructions on how to plug in a psu (I can possibly see instructions for a modular psu or multi-rail psu) I still stand by my previous statement.

If you don't know how to plug in a psu then you have no business setting up a PC. If you're learning how to install a psu while you're doing it for the first time, you already failed and should have checked up on it first. There's plenty of guides online.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you at all on your assessment.

I HAVE NEVER EVER had a PC not work in 300 plus builds. As to you not saying that manuals shouldn't be read you sure implied it. The part I quoted really carries that.

as to having the info I listed on a website, this may be so but I still prefer having hard copy on hand rather than having to go scrabbling around a website for it. Perfect case in point... I recently acquired an EVGA mATX mobo second hand. It had no manual but ya know, they have 'em on websites for freaking ever and this board was still on sale on many large e-tailers so I figured I'm golden. Well, I figured wrong. EVGA had reorganized their site and had removed the manual. Never assume that online documentation will be there forever. try to find any for the old multi rail PC P&C PSU's, Not bloody likely.

What??? Do you really think these companies building modular PSUs are going to build crap, put it on the market and suffer the long term consequences of those actions? People have long memories when they fell they’ve gotten screwed. Some people still bash OCZ for things done under the previous ownership. I’d say Thermaltake putting a 5 year warranty on their PSUs sort of shoots holes in your 2 year rhetoric.

Yes they are building crap and going along with trends. Going along with what's trendy often sells more then what's good. Most consumers are idiots, and it's ok to rip them off.

And I personally would never use a PSU without modular cables.

Well then you might just get what you deserve on this. Odds are nothing will change, but it can. if you roll the dice on it that's up to you. I wouldn't take the risk, but if somebody I knew did and had problems I'd point and laugh.

So PCP&C won’t SELL modular units but it’s perfectly OK for their resellers to modularize them. Now someone please explain that to me.

Because something can go wrong with it. I wouldn't trust a product from a company that knowningly introduces something into their line that can cause products just to satisfy a market fad.

It's simple, they probably don't want their name on it should something happen. I've seen issues with modular silverstone PSUs before, and yes I laughed.

The fact is PCP&C is LOSING sales due to the fact they DO NOT sell modular units directly.

They are also helping their reputation and probably keeping some customers. Again I wouldn't buy a product from a company that risks quality for the sake of pursuing a fad.

They are probably also losing sales by not having neon lights in their PSU and a fancy box.

But then again, neither of those are their target markets.

Maybe now that OCZ owns them someone will be forced to wake up and smell the coffee.

yeah OCZ might run them into the ground. It will be modular with neon lights and a fancy box, we can put a race car on it since will all know that makes it mo bettah!

EDIT:

I'm not sayinig PC P&C is flawless, no company is. However their product is a no frills, extremely well made, high end PSU, with no silly fads like a fancy box/modular cables/neon lights that are either pointless or possibly a negative.

Not everybody wants that.

yeah OCZ might run them into the ground. It will be modular with neon lights and a fancy box.

Doubtful. The OCZ guys I have directly interacted with in the engineering side are very good and I doubt they would sign off on changes that would affect things in such a negative manner (assuming they any say in what happens on the PC Power and Cooling side).

Yes they are building crap and going along with trends. Going along with what's trendy often sells more then what's good. Most consumers are idiots, and it's ok to rip them off.

Well then you might just get what you deserve on this. Odds are nothing will change, but it can. if you roll the dice on it that's up to you. I wouldn't take the risk, but if somebody I knew did and had problems I'd point and laugh.

Because something can go wrong with it. I wouldn't trust a product from a company that knowningly introduces something into their line that can cause products just to satisfy a market fad.

It's simple, they probably don't want their name on it should something happen. I've seen issues with modular silverstone PSUs before, and yes I laughed.

They are also helping their reputation and probably keeping some customers. Again I wouldn't buy a product from a company that risks quality for the sake of pursuing a fad.

They are probably also losing sales by not having neon lights in their PSU and a fancy box.

But then again, neither of those are their target markets.

yeah OCZ might run them into the ground. It will be modular with neon lights and a fancy box, we can put a race car on it since will all know that makes it mo bettah!

Boy, you must have swallowed PC P&C's "myths" like tripe.

Let me ask you something... if you won't buy things from companies that produce "fad" products does that mean you use a DELL or HP? Overclocking = fad, water cooling = fad, case modding = fad. In fact the whole PC hobby is a fad.

They're hardly top shelf components either, and you will find that information at Badcaps as well. That's the point being made - for $500, there's no reason not to go with the high quality Japanese components in high quality server grade units like this.

qdemn7 said:
So PCP&C won’t SELL modular units but it’s perfectly OK for their resellers to modularize them. Now someone please explain that to me.

It's simple, they probably don't want their name on it should something happen. I've seen issues with modular Silverstone PSUs before, and yes I laughed.
Hellooo..knock, knock. It DOES have their name on it. From Performance PCs website:
The Warranty for this power supply is 5 years from PC Power and Cooling. Performance PC's workmanship has been certified as Grade A by PC Power and Cooling and therefore we can now offer you their fully warranty on our modified power supply. We are very pleased to receive this certification and to offer you this very fine product customized to your wishes.
PCP&C won't sell a modular unit from their factory, but FULLY WARRANT a reseller to do so. In fact you can get ALL the cables on the PSU modularized. So....if modular cables were REALLY as terrible as you and they state, then they wouldn't allow this at all. Would they? So explain it to me now genius.

OCC_Yoda said:
Even the good people at bacaps.com have stated in the past that Teapo caps when peoperly ventilated and used ina PSU are not bad caps!!

When used on a mother board they seem to have issues...

What I find interesting is PC Power & Cooling have been using Teapo caps forever and with proper ventilation they are good caps!!

So I guess your statement withour being specific is merely FUD!!

Now if you qualify your statement and say when usaed un motherboards and when used in poorly ventilated PSU`s you have issues.....see how a statement taken at face value can be construed in several different ways!!

I understand the points you are trying to make but I believe you have misunderstood the true meaning of what I posted.

Specific Teapo capacitor implementations were not mentioned because I did not want to detract from the subject review at hand and turn this thread into a Teapo slander fest or get flamed.

With that said, I still am not going to turn this thread favored capacitor war. There is a nifty search site named www.google.com which may assist you in understanding the point I was making concerning all implementations of Teapo capacitors.

That's the point being made - for $500, there's no reason not to go with the high quality Japanese components in high quality server grade units like this.

Actually, there are reasons, but... whatever... ;)

I RTFM every time I build a PC and out of at least 300 builds I've yet to have a PC work upon first boot.

I HAVE NEVER EVER had a PC not work in 300 plus builds.

Well, which one is it? You misrepresented yourself to me earlier... :p Sounded like you were saying you'd never had a PC work correctly the first time.

Also, there should have been a manual on the CD that came with the motherboard. Maybe the guy didn't give it to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will PCP&C respond to this article? Have they contacted anyone at the [H]? I'm curious what they have to say.

Well, which one is it? You misrepresented yourself to me earlier... :p Sounded like you were saying you'd never had a PC work correctly the first time.

Also, there should have been a manual on the CD that came with the motherboard. Maybe the guy didn't give it to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will PCP&C respond to this article? Have they contacted anyone at the [H]? I'm curious what they have to say.

I missed the word not in the first post, my bad and no there was no CD with the mobo. Oddly enough EVGA had all the drivers for it on their site yet the manual was nowhere to be found. That's exactly why I'm saying hard copy is a valuable asset, a PSU won't come with a CD with the manual on it and if for some strange reason you need the manual and it's gone from their site (such as the SSI850W Turbo Cool) you'll have to contact tech support and wait for them to email it to you.

Of particular interest to me is that the unit is rated at its full output at 50C yet the tourture test is at 80% load at 45C. I feel that unless I am missing something, the major reason for owning/selecting this supply was never even investigated !

At first I was not happy about hearing OCZ had bought PCP+C after reading the review (I have not used a PCP+C in years, since the day 350W were big supplies) I now have a different view. It would appear that some updated packaging, and manual would be in order to appeal to non-technical people (a valid marketing strategy) and cover the box with little fake "marketing awards" like Quad Capacitors ! Quad filtering! Best Paperweight of 2005 ! And a box inside a box for those who want to experience that "Christmas Morning" rush twice. For over $400 they probally are entitled to that. Oh I like rubber bands holding the cables in shipping bundles, you don't have to go to the garage to find the pruning shears to get some damn tye wrap off so you can install the supply, route the cables and tye wrap them in place. Wire ties like on bread bags are also a work of Satan. However it is imperative the rubber bands be colored, natural rubber brown or the standard "hot dog" red is not 22nd century enough.

the voltage regulation was a bit of a surprise I expected better and not enough was made of the outstanding noise and ripple, the hallmark of a really really good supply.

The fan is inexcusable for anything sold that is not going in a server room.

Anyway it seems that perhaps if OCZ (if they don't kill it outright because competing with yourself is stupid) reinvents the packaging, puts a 120mm fan on it, which will be a chore do to space constraints, drops the price a bit, and emphasis's the low noise and ripple and the 50C rated output, The King is dead, long live The King. But probally not.

One thing I would like to see added to the reviews is the weight of the unit.

while (obviously) I thought the review harped on some things that matter not a bit to me, it was an eye opener and I can only hope the OCZ assimilation of PCP+C will improve both companies, PCP+C could stand some updating.

edit: and regardless of any comments above I GREATLY appreciate the reviews, technical reviews with testing seem almost gone, wish you could whip something like this for motherboards, get more 'under the hood" so to speak.

Of particular interest to me is that the unit is rated at its full output at 50C yet the tourture test is at 80% load at 45C. I feel that unless I am missing something, the major reason for owning/selecting this supply was never even investigated !

All of our testing is done to the same specifications so that the results are comparable so I can't really go shifting around or I would have for the Thermaltake Toughpower which also is rated at 50c. True I did run that one at 49c for the 100A test but that was purely by accident. But I will give my personal gaurentee that it will work at 50c without doubt. ;)

Back