pc power and cooling 750w

mito

Gawd
Greetings,

I have a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W.

I plan on using it to feed an i7 3770K and a GTX 690, with very basic overclocking.

Will it be enough?

I am assuming it will make it.

Thanks.

Unless you're running tons of fans etc you could get by with 150W less, presuming you're not running F@H 24/7.

It's way more than sufficient. Though, that unit drops down voltages a bit (below 11.90) on higher loads (which doesn't matter a single bit, but still). It's now a pretty old unit based on an old, group regulated design. It wouldn't hurt to get a new PSU.

P.S, why are you getting a 690? Why not 670 SLi?

Thanks for the input.

What PSU you recommend?

Budget is around $130.

Note: I chose the GTX 690 to keep things simple inside, not a big fan of SLI taking too much space inside the Mb. So decided to spend a bit more...

Btw, the case is an Antec P182.

Thanks!

This is the best mid-range unit along with the Platinum 760:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151121

You can check out the TPU review on the Platinum Fanless 520 as the 660 watter is based on the same platform. It's a great unit.

And well, having a pair of 670's isn't really making things more complicated. In fact, it's making things easier. A cooler running, more reliable and cheaper setup.

Unless you're running tons of fans etc you could get by with 150W less, presuming you're not running F@H 24/7.

I'm using an Antec P182 case that has some fans....

System will be used for the occasional game and some OC....

It's now a pretty old unit based on an old, group regulated design. It wouldn't hurt to get a new PSU.

Please elaborate on the above statement.

If 750W is more than enough, why wouldn't an old design provide the necessary power to hungry components? :D

For example, a GTX 690 needing 400W @ full stress. Why would a newly designed PSU be better?

If 750W is more than enough, why wouldn't an old design provide the necessary power to hungry components? :D

For example, a GTX 690 needing 400W @ full stress. Why would a newly designed PSU be better?

It absolutely would.

A new PSU would be better if you want one. It wouldn't hurt anything (except your wallet :D) other than being more efficient and providing cleaner power etc.

Fans don't consume more than 2W, right?

Typically not. You can check out for yourself, the amperage rating is on the fan. Multiply that number by 12 to get max fan wattage.

fwiw, my previous system ran the same power supply.. it had quad sli gtx295's,11x2tb drives, and 6 x 120mm slipstreams. I only noticed issues after I tried to add an 8800gt card for physx. I would then get the red light. I would say your safe.

Fans don't consume more than 2W, right?

Guru3D calculates power consumption from the wall, not from the PSU. You first have to convert 400W of AC power to DC power. And the old i7 Extreme they have consumes twice as much, and even more (since it's overclocked) than an Ivy Bridge chip. And they have watercooling (a bunch of fans), and a few CCFL's. It's everything but a plain machine. And they also put the absolute, highest peak number they saw while running an application that loads up GPU's to %100, which doesn't happen in real World since you pretty much never get %100 scaling on a multi-GPU setup.

That kind of setup would be pulling around 300W in games. You can be %100 sure that that PSU can very easily drive that machine.

When I had HD 2900 CrossFire on a PSU with a wattage meter on it's back (that is nearly completely accurate unlike hachapichi cheapass inaccurate wall meters), I was mostly cruising between 400-450W. The 2900 had a higher than 200W TDP. The 690, on the other hand, only has a 300W TDP. I leave you the thinking.

Typically not. You can check out for yourself, the amperage rating is on the fan. Multiply that number by 12 to get max fan wattage.

huge caveat emptor. make certain the rating is spin up amperage, not spinning amperage.

my ap15s are sometimes cited as only needing sub 1w...which is not enough to get the impeller rotating. to get those fans moving requires 4w.

That PSU is plenty. I would look into the benefit (if any) from adding in the gtx 280 for physics. Last I checked you're better off letting the 690 do the physx.

GTX280 is a bit overkill for physX anyway. The 690 has plenty of power to do that for you.

Back