PC Perspective Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Live Benchmarking - 4:30PM CDT

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
In what is sure to be an internet barn burner, Rowdy Ryan Shrout of PCPer fame, is going to live-stream his Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Benchmarking. The only real question is, "Will he be wearing pants?"

Got a LOL out of me on that one. Kyle, he'll be here all week folks, all year actually ;-) Ryan is a good dude.

Seems like Vega FE is between 1070 and 1080. Even a 1080 FE looks to be a good way beyond what Vega FE can do.

Yep, A good OCed 1070 seems to be what Vega FE average is.

Power in witcher, 300W and it throttles.

Last edited:
Yep, A good OCed 1070 seems to be what Vega FE average is.

Power in witcher, 300W and throttles it seems.

I'm glad I got a 1070 before miners drove prices up, if you don't shop around they want close to $800 some places now. Or just get a cheap 1080, it's a great card for less than $500.

Are workstation cards really 100% representative? I've always been under the impression that they typically aren't.

Though I've little doubt it's accurate enough to say Vega still isn't the product AMD needed to supply.

Are workstation cards really 100% representative? I've always been under the impression that they typically aren't.

Though I've little doubt it's accurate enough to say Vega still isn't the product AMD needed to supply.
This is marketed as both types, workstations and gaming, and has a driver selectable mode for each.

Yes and no. AMD actually put themselves in a strange position with this one. It runs both drivers, and for the intended audience, needs to.

So is it "optimized for gaming"? Well, the silicon certainly is as much as it will be. Drivers will improve, and history shows AMD takes a long time to do this. In fact, they make a marketing message out of it, comparing it to wine.

This is marketed as both types, workstations and gaming, and has a driver selectable mode for each.
I wonder if the next RX card will be like this Vega with a little less clocks and two or more memory configurations, 4 8 16, and cost around $499. Anyone's guess.

It's not marketed at all as a gaming card it's marketed as a professional card that can handle game development with higher quality assets rather than having to do a gaming card with a purely professional application only card.

For reference it's meant to be a p5000 competitor, which gets destroyed by a 1080 in games

It's not marketed at all as a gaming card it's marketed as a professional card that can handle game development with higher quality assets rather than having to do a gaming card with a purely professional application only card.

For reference it's meant to be a p5000 competitor, which gets destroyed by a 1080 in games

P5000 isn't the competitor, this card is competing against the Titan. If this is meant to compete with P5000, then there is no point of releasing Radeon Pro WX 9100 in the future.

I swear I just saw something somewhere saying this was more powerful than a titan... or am I remembering that wrong? Anyone else see that?

Yes, it is. Go look at the drivers display and amd statements.

I swear I just saw something somewhere saying this was more powerful than a titan... or am I remembering that wrong? Anyone else see that?

One of the non gaming benchmark Ryan ran, I want to say it is cinebench but not absolutely sure.

Not true: the Quadro P5000 is only 5-10% slower than a 1080 (google some results). "Destroyed" I'll use for 30%+. Anyway, the Vega is running in game mode (not pro mode).

I love days where I am so busy, I am not able to look at H at all during the day. That said, it is a shame I missed this, it would have been cool. :)

I think it was in certain benchmarks that Vega FE won, it still may have some use for a small segment of modelers and compute heavy workers that want to game occasionally. I also saw somewhere they dropped the price by 30% so they are sweetening the deal for the guys in the crosshairs for this card, it seems to me.

I love days where I am so busy, I am not able to look at H at all during the day. That said, it is a shame I missed this, it would have been cool. :)

You wanted to be disappointed in real time?

Said it before and I'll say it again: The RX480 should never have been released. RX580 was flat out pathetic, a non-product. Most still hoping for the best from AMD/ATI looked to Vega -- "Oh, just wait, they'll compete again, they'll take the performance crown!"

Fat. Fucking. Chance.

When a $1000+ prosumer card can't compare to Nvidia's consumer "flagship" (and I'm referring to the Ti, not the Titan) selling for $300+ less, AMD has nothing. Nothing. The "this isn't marketed towards gamers" nonsense is misdirection pure and simple, smoke and mirrors bullshit. If they can't produce a card that competes at this price level, there is absolutely no way in hell they'll deliver something competitive at a lower price point.

Step up or sell out, AMD. Put the money in to R&D, prove you're still relevant, or sell your patents to someone who gives a fuck and go die in a corner.

I'm tired of waiting. We're all tired.

You wanted to be disappointed in real time?

Said it before and I'll say it again: The RX480 should never have been released. RX580 was flat out pathetic, a non-product. Most still hoping for the best from AMD/ATI looked to Vega -- "Oh, just wait, they'll compete again, they'll take the performance crown!"

Fat. Fucking. Chance.

When a $1000+ prosumer card can't compare to Nvidia's consumer "flagship" (and I'm referring to the Ti, not the Titan) selling for $300+ less, AMD has nothing. Nothing. The "this isn't marketed towards gamers" nonsense is misdirection pure and simple, smoke and mirrors bullshit. If they can't produce a card that competes at this price level, there is absolutely no way in hell they'll deliver something competitive at a lower price point.

Step up or sell out, AMD. Put the money in to R&D, prove you're still relevant, or sell your patents to someone who gives a fuck and go die in a corner.

I'm tired of waiting. We're all tired.
Very strong arguments. Mining has been a boon to say the least for AMD.

Very strong arguments. Mining has been a boon to say the least for AMD.

Mining is their life-support.

Just to be clear, this is my GPU progression: S3 Virge -> Rage3D -> Voodoo3 3500 AGP -> Radeon DDR AGP -> Radeon 9800 Pro -> 8800 GTX / SLI / Tri-SLI -> Radeon 4890 2-way Crossfire -> Radeon 6950 2-way Crossfire -> 980Ti 2-way SLI. Currently I'm using one of the old 6950s for 2D waiting and saving up for a fast single card.

I don't want AMD's graphics division to die... but I believe they deserve to.

Last edited:
Welp. That was disappointing. AMD is just dead in the gpu department. My last card was a 280x, which was bang for your buck. My 980ti is doing awesome. I had a 9700 pro way back when, it was an upgrade from my nvidia ti-4600. Wish AMD made competitive cards.

This isn't a pro card no ecc memory just like a titan card, meaning while it be fine for an individual station for say CAD work that not on 24/7 and has regular reboots i wouldn't trust it in a server like environment just like a titan card. Except titan is actually top performance in games.

Back