PC P&C "Silencer" series, quiet?

I think something is wrong with my Silverstone Strider 750, so I'm looking to replace it. I have an older PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 SLI that is rock solid, great power supply. However it's just too loud for me, so before I spend my hard earned dough on a new psu, I want to make sure it lives up to the Silencer nameplate.

Are these units really quiet? I have a full watercooled system and went to w/c for the reduced noise levels. The Silverstone is extremely quiet, and that's what I'm looking for.

What's wrong with your strider 750?

The Silencer should be pretty quiet; the Seasonic S12 or M12 series are quieter, as is the Corsair HX series.

I think the Strider is killing my mobos, I've been through 3 EVGA 680i motherboards now and they all end up the same way, with -- displayed on the onboard lcd display (original made it a month, rma #1 lasted 1 hour, rma #2 lasted 3 days, all were connected to the same ST75F). The code means failure to initialize. I don't know for certain, but at this point EVGA is saying it's something on my end. The psu is the only thing I think it could be, unless the motherboards are just plain shit.

Yeah, I was eyeballing the Corsair 620 as well, but can it handle dual 8800GTX's (if I go that route), MCP655 water pump, 4 hard drives, etc?

Yeah, I was eyeballing the Corsair 620 as well, but can it handle dual 8800GTX's (if I go that route), MCP655 water pump, 4 hard drives, etc?
Yes! :D

Edited

Review links were posted here, one of them showing the PSU powering a pair of 8800GTX's,
however when DX10 games arrive, the GPU's might pull more power, so the answer is "yes, at present", "unkown with DX10 games".

PC P&C 750W in main rig and very much quieter than my old strider750.

I think the Strider is killing my mobos, I've been through 3 EVGA 680i motherboards now and they all end up the same way....

If you think that's the case, why not RMA the power supply for another one instead of throwing money at the problem?

To answer your question: A Silencer is quiet for a PC Power & Cooling, but your Strider is quieter.

Back