PC not poweimg on after GPU upgrade.

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
So I just upgraded my GPU to a 3080ti tonight and my PC won't power on afterwards.. All I get is all LEDs flash for a split second none stop. The clear CMOS button in the back also just flashes. I rechecked all connections and swapped out to 2 different GPUs and get the same thing. I tried removing the battery and nothing changes. When I jump the PSU all fans and RGB lights up. Seems like something is possibly shorting? I am suspecting something happened to the MB. I am going to complete take apart tomorrow.

Mb or psu usually from what your describing with a slim possibility of cpu mixed in for good measure. Probably is a short somewhere or something fiddly. Are you using a riser cable?

Mb or psu usually from what your describing with a slim possibility of cpu mixed in for good measure. Probably is a short somewhere or something fiddly. Are you using a riser cable?
No riser cable. Power supply is fine. Tested it with another.

I had an x570 dark
Hero that worked fine for about a week. Then one time I powered it on it and it immediately triped off. Wouldn’t power up at all. Turned out the motherboards failed and was causing the power supply to trip off. Replaced it with a x570 tomahawk and everything worked properly. Motherboard had died. Returned it for a refund.

I've had weird crap like that happen before, hopefully it stops being stubborn.
I had an x570 dark
Hero that worked fine for about a week. Then one time I powered it on it and it immediately triped off. Wouldn’t power up at all. Turned out the motherboards failed and was causing the power supply to trip off. Replaced it with a x570 tomahawk and everything worked properly. Motherboard had died. Returned it for a refund.
I found out the issue. It was my USB DAC when plugged into a 3.1 USB port on the back my system wouldn't power on. With it unplugged or in one of the 2.0 ports it would power up fine.

So, if something else is plugged into that particular port will the pc power up? Is it just that DAC that causes the problem or does anything plugged into that port cause boot problems?

Glad you found the problem but unless the DAC has a fault in it the power problem shouldn’t occur.

I had the same exact issue after I upgraded a rig from a dead SSD to an Nvme drive. All mobo lights on, hit power button and nothing. Go through ripping the rig apart so I can boot the board up outside the case with bare minimum. Still no boot. Swap out the Nvme drive to another SSD, and still no-go. Swap psu with a pos dell one I have to power up a pump when filling, and waddaya know, it booted up normally. Try the original psu and it's dead again.

Come to find out a simple swapping out of drives, the psu took a crap as well. Forgot I had a spare Seasonic S12 and used that to replace the dead one. Viola, everything back to normal.

Glad you found the issue. Enjoy that new 3080Ti !

So, if something else is plugged into that particular port will the pc power up? Is it just that DAC that causes the problem or does anything plugged into that port cause boot problems?

Glad you found the problem but unless the DAC has a fault in it the power problem shouldn’t occur.
Nothing else I plugged in caused it from booting. I tried a external HDD and kb/m and PC booted fine. Yea the DAC is causing a short some where and will probably replace it. I haven't had any other issues when it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I actually haven't to tried the DAC in any other 3.0/.1 ports. That port might just be going bad.

Back