PC not booting up

Python14

Limp Gawd
Alright, as I was getting up this morning. I turned on my computer. It was doing the normal boot sequence as usual and I went downstairs to get breakfast. When I came back up, it was still booting in a loop. Everything would go fine until it got to the part where the Windows XP logo came up and it had the loading progress bar at the bottom. It'd cycle(the bar) a few times, then quit go back to the beginning of the boot process. I tried going into BIOS and resetting everything to stock, but nothing seemed to work. Any idea whats wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.

That menu doesn't even come up. It boots like normal but just does it over and over again.

Python14 said:
That menu doesn't even come up. It boots like normal but just does it over and over again.
Press F8 during startup (before the window's splash screen) to get the boot menu, select safe mode from there.

I know how to get it.....but it's not even coming up despite my efforts. Anyone else?

try booting from the xp cd and going to the console and doing a repair to the MBR

Same thing happened on my laptop out of no where, for no apparent reason. I just selected "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)" and it booted up fine for me...

So you can try that, just hit F8 during boot if the Advanced Options Menu doesn't come up on it's own, and select Last Known Good Configuration

Alright, I'm trying that and it's asking for a Admin. password.....I never setup a admin password. Whats the deal?

Well, I tried the repair and it didn't work. My guess is something is wrong with the HDD itself and it's just gonna have to be set aside for when I have some freetime to figure it out (I am trying to get a report for work done)

So I just decided to bite the bullet and reinstall windows on a spare 20 gig HDD I have and then hopefully using the currently in-ept HDD as a non-boot/ storage drive in the future. So here comes problem # 2

Everything goes peachy until I reach the EULA. It stops responding to the keyboard. Previously it was fine with a PS2 keyboard, but now it won't even respond to that. What the hell is going on here? When it gives me the option to install, repair, or cancel...it's fine. But once I move on to the EULA, the keyboard just quits. I tried a USB keyboard too and it doesn't work either. What the fuck is going on?

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1 gig of pc3200 Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro
80 gig HDD (or 20 gig at the moment....or atleast trying to)
Windows XP home edition
450 watt PSU
DVD/CD-RW

The 20 g HDD has an install of Windows 98 on it right now,

couple things to check...the PSU:
These are the minimum recommended in the AMD desktop builders guide circa 2002 for a certifed 300W power supply.
+3.3V = 28A
+5.0V = 30A
+12.0V = 15A-18A
+5VSB = 2A-2.5A

thats a bit out of date but still a good guidline.....then the next is the memory...that a 1gig stick or 2 512's? if its the later remove one and try installing if it stops again...try with the other stick and see if maybe thats where the problem maybe.....i think you can now rule out the HDD as being the problem....

Alright, I'll give the RAM sticks a jostle

edit: Tried the ram sticks.....still no workie.

I tried booting into windows 98 on that older drive and it worked fine(aside from the usual new hardware nonsense)

So all I can figure is that it HAS to be the hdd.

Any ideas on why my keyboard is being stupid?

well as it did it to the 20gig HDD too..ie froze at the EULA...check the cd for scratches? or smears.....i dont think the HDD is bad....you can hook that HDD to another computer and try to install and that would give you another determination if the HDD was going bad....win98 worked fine so that means at least the hardware in there is ok....

Alright, I finally got XP installed on that second drive. However, new problem, I can't connect to the internet. It's Windows XP with service pack 1a. What's next?

Python14 said:
Alright, I finally got XP installed on that second drive. However, new problem, I can't connect to the internet. It's Windows XP with service pack 1a. What's next?

Check your ethernet controllers and make sure they are set witht he correct IP settings, e.g. if you have a router make sure your ethernet ports are set to "assign ip address automatically".

Alright, that worked. Thanks everyone. I got everything working now (I'm typing this on the new computer).

Next step is recovering data and reformatting the offending 80 gig HDD.

One simple question to be sure: When I put the old drive on the chain, How do I configure the jumpers so I have a :C(20 gig for Applications) and :E(80 gig for storage)?

Back