PC Locking up

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a computer that was running ok - or seemed ok - until I installed a 6700 XT reference, and since then for the last week it's been constantly locking up. Before you say wrong thread, I think the memory is the culprit due to testing but I'm wondering what could be the issue.

So to explain a little more in depth... PC seemed to run ok with a 1660 Ti, and then I installed the 6700 XT. Immediately upon booting the computer was having a huge fit; Windows was locking up almost immediately, and if it wasn't then Windows would run in slow motion until it did eventually lock up. I pulled the card, re-seated it, re-plugged in the power cables, and that seemed to fix it. Short term. Since then it locks up numerous times a day, but... not while gaming. I can play Red Dead Redemption 2 for hours without any issues. But Firefox, being on Reddit, running Davinci, or just using a single W10 VM in VM Workstation Player will randomly lock up the PC. And when I say lock up, I mean it hard locks having to hold down the power.

Someone suggested I check out the memory, so I got around to checking Prime95 and stressing the mem today. Well... within seconds of the Ram filling up, it locked up.

Here are the specs of the PC:

11400 under a DR4 (non pro) temps ice cold
G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz Cas 16 **Running at 3000Mhz as per advice that Rocket lake has stability issues with fast memory?
Gigabyte Z490 Pro AX **Stock BIOS settings except XMP turned on and mem set to 3000MHz
AMD 6700 XT Reference
Corsair CX550M PSU

min is supposed to be a 650w.

did you ddu and install newest drivers? are the bioses and drivers up to date? have you tested the ram individually using the 1660?

I bought a RM750X but haven't installed it yet. I always use DDU when uninstalling, especially when swapping from Nvidia to AMD. I don't have the 1660 anymore so I wouldn't be able to test it unfortunately as that would have been a good idea. thx

I bought a RM750X but haven't installed it yet. I always use DDU when uninstalling, especially when swapping from Nvidia to AMD. I don't have the 1660 anymore so I wouldn't be able to test it unfortunately as that would have been a good idea. thx
k. id try that 750 see if it straightens up. then try and test with a memtest(or+) usb stick .

Given the specific part that was changed, PSU would always be my first go-to for inspecition. I've changed GPUs a million times over the years and never once had RAM go bad as a result. Or have RAM suddenly start causing issues. Big GPU = big PSU, nothing complicated about it.

Back