**PC Keeps Shutting Down/Re-Starting!**

Im running WinXp Pro/SP1, just did a clean install, got spysweeper, Antivirus, etc......just begining to install my normal apps, games, etc.....I tweaked a few things, but every other time I use my pc, It shuts off and re-starts, says problem is:

C:\windows\system32\lass.exe

Status Code 1073741819

Its getting annoying and I dont know how to to stop this, any help is appreciated!

Also while Im here, anyone know how to dis-able the Documents History from the "start"?

IIRC, lass.exe is a trojan/backdoor. Might want to run ad-aware/spybot and see if that fixes it up. Are you sure it isn't lsass.exe? I've never seen lass.exe give a Status/Exit code before. :confused:

To get rid of Recent Documents from the start menu, right click the taskbar => properties. Go to the "Start Menu" tab and click Customize. Go to the advanved tab and uncheck the box at the bottom. Apply/OK out and it should be gone.

Uh, if it's making his system restart, something isn't fine :)
Try upgrading to SP2 and see if that fixes the problem.

When connecting to the internet, you should make sure your OS is up to date, and that you are protected by some form of firewall. For the most part, either precaution will keep you safe on the net.

Your system has been hit by a worm, meaning that is wasn't up to date, and the built in firewall wasn't enabled :(.

pigster is correct.

Since it was a fresh install, I highly recommend just starting over with a fresh install of the OS. You always want to install the OS while disconnected from the network, and then enable the firewall before connecting to the net. As said by others though, keeping the system up to date is a big plus. WinXP SP1 was from 2002 IIRC.

If you have broadband, you might want to download and save\burn SP2 so that you have it available offline, though it's not a requirement.

Enabling the firewall before you reinstall will keep your computer from rebooting. The reboot occurs when the worm attacks your system and infects it, so each time the system reboots, that means the system just got attacked again. Enabling the firewall will NOT remove the worm from your system. Even tools that remove worms are not garanteed to get everything right, thus the recommendation to do a format and fresh install.

The firewall can be enabled by viewing your network connections, right clicking the connection, going to the firewall tab, and enabling it. SP2 enables the firewall by default and puts links to it in more places, but that's not the case on the original or SP1 versions.

As for your other question, right click the start button, go to the "start menu" tab, click "customize" and uncheck the "show my recent documents".

Back