PC just died , what steps should i do to troubleshoot?

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
My PC just randomly died. I had experienced a few (3 or 4) shut down last summer , but i could always reboot without a problem.

Now the PC wont reboot at ALL.

Here are some specs.

I totally tought it was the PSU , but i ordered a new one and its still not working.

case : fractal define R4
cpu :I5 4690k
mobo :MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition LGA 1150
ram : G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
gpu : MSI gtx 960

the psu i replaced is : SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold with EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3

i will replace all the cables of the PSU (i didnt for the first test) but im pretty sure it wont work. Where do i go from there?

Check that the HSF or AIO is still making good contact with the CPU. I had a similar issue awhile ago where one of the pins holding the HSF came loose. At first the heat protection would just kick in shortly after pressing the power button, but eventually it refused to even power on. Once I identified and fixed it the power issue went away.

I would also check if anything inside the case came loose and is causing a short.

Does it do anything at all when you hit the power button (fans, lights, beeps, etc)?
If it is dead-dead and you've swapped out the PSU it is likely to be a mother board or power switch problem. I wouldn't rule out the obvious like damaged power cords or tripped GFCI breakers either though.
If it spins up or beeps swapping individual ram sticks into different slots or reseating the CPU could help as noted above.

Well , i changed the cables , remove the GPU and used only one stick of ram.

The case fan controller cables shorted :eek: and i had smoke. all the cables are melted together.

i disconnected the power for the controller . I will hook it up to my screen.

seems like there is a problem with the case control panel. wich gave problem to my motherboard :(

time for a new system i guess :(

Your whole system is fried?
Anyway I'm curious what fan controller you have. I've been thinking about getting one lately and might avoid your brand/type.

Your whole system is fried?
Anyway I'm curious what fan controller you have. I've been thinking about getting one lately and might avoid your brand/type.

Its in the front of the case. Just a switch with different voltage to increase or decrease the speed.

Case is fractal define r4

I've seen motherboards with fried fan headers still, otherwise, work fine. Can always run a fan from a molex if you need to, and there is no shortage of third party fan controllers to be able to adjust speed if you still want to do that.

Back