PC is turning on and off by itself after windows update. URGENT

Yz388

Limp Gawd
So heres the deal. 5 month old pc that I built was running fine, figured I would run windows update. Had 1 network adapter driver update, and the rest were the ones from microsoft this past week. Computer froze while trying to restart after installing those updates, and now when I turn it on, it turns off after a few seconds then turns back on by itself, over and over again.

What can this be? I need this pc working soon because I am retaking a Calc exam for school, and this pc has the software registered to it.

Windows Vista
I reset bios
Blew out pc
Reapplied thermal compound to processor

It still does this without vid card or hardrive connected.

The system is 5 months old.

As soon as I turn it on, a few seconds later it turns off. Posting is when the bios screen shows correct?

I dont get that far, as it turns off before that step. But then turns right back on and tries again.

It does sound like the PC has a problem that surfaced after you did the update.
Most probably that was a co-incidence and the problem was already there.

A quick test is to see if you can install Windows on another drive.
If that works ok, then most likely this is a software issue from the updates.
If it doesnt work ok with the new windows, you can start troubleshooting the hardware issue.

edit, I just read your latest post and you wont be able to install windows in that condition.
Unplug everything you dont need to get a POST, that includes all USB devices, PCI cards, drives etc.
Once you get a little stability, add components back in and see when it fails.

If you cannot get it to work at all, try and borrow another PSU to test with.

old, but the problem was the motherboard. Very odd that it happened while trying to restart after windows update. RMA'd it and its been fine ever since.

Very strange on these things happen, especially so randomly.

system restore it. if you can't do that then you need to uninstall the update or find out what it is thats causing it.

Back