Pc hardware unrealible compared to Macs?

klowngoblin

[H]ard|Gawd
not sure but recently a Mac user said Pc hardware is all unrealible and home built systems are utterly crap. (see sig)

you think this is true? i personally think my SLI setup runs pretty good, i havent had it crash yet even with the 7800GT's OC'd to GTX.

They all come from the same factory in China.

No, Macs are no more reliable.

not sure but recently a Mac user said Pc hardware is all unrealible and home built systems are utterly crap.
If all PC hardware were unreliable, we wouldn't have entire forums dedicated to the subject.

Tell your "friend" to stop drinking the Kool-Aid; the grass is still green on this side of the fence.

The hardware is almost identical. Its the closed-loop operating system that makes them more reliable. Because Macs can only use Apple approved hardware, there are no issues with drivers, incompatible hardware, etc. With a PC, you can buy a video card that might not have drivers for Vista x64 edition, or a sound card that doesn't work right with your operating system (both of those scenarios are well documented here) but with a Mac you will never have that problem - you do pay a higher price premium (to an extent) for this compatibility, however.

You can tell your friend that I am typing this post on a 4.5 year old motherboard, with a 4.5 year old P4 Northwood using 4.5 year old generic ram. I have changed the fans and the video card a couple of times, but other than that, it really hasn't been touched. I fold on this machine 24/7, and I honestly don't think I've cleaned and replaced the thermal paste in at least 3 years, sooooo........ Oh, and you'll love this.... It's all powered by an Ultra X-Connect 500w modular psu... yeah, the ones that are supposed to explode.

I'll post pics if ya want.

bleh, i'm running a linux box which has remained untouched (minus some additional hard drives) for about five years while a buddy of mine has gone through two macbooks. so in the end results vary, hardware is essentially the same, and its the software that makes macs appear to be more reliable.

I suppose that in theory Mac hardware should be more reliable because of the standardized parts, but as long as you stay away from crap hardware (PC CHIPS, ECS) you should be fine.

I've got an old AMD K7 500 MHz system on a Compaq MoBo (I think its a Foxconn) that has been running almost non-stop for seven or eight years now.

well not really my friend but just some guy on a mac forum....
im thinking apple has gone off the deep end brain washing their customers with ads.

i use both mac and pcs at work and support both platforms, i see no advantage in having a mac but on the mac forum they see other wise.

my old KT7 Duron 700 @ 1.1GHz is still running and being used just as an internet surfing machine. its been over clocked since day one in 2002.

I'm pretty sure that if I, were I an OS manufacturer, could dictate exactly what hardware can go into the computers I put my OS in, my computers would be more reliable than the manufacturers who can't do that.

Macs can pull that off, non-Macs can't.

Is a Lamborghini more reliable than a Ferarri? Are some of the parts similar? Things will always break. That's just how it goes.

Almost all problems I see are caused by drivers, operating system, or users.

Then after that, ram.

The hardware is almost identical. Its the closed-loop operating system that makes them more reliable. Because Macs can only use Apple approved hardware, there are no issues with drivers, incompatible hardware, etc. With a PC, you can buy a video card that might not have drivers for Vista x64 edition, or a sound card that doesn't work right with your operating system (both of those scenarios are well documented here) but with a Mac you will never have that problem - you do pay a higher price premium (to an extent) for this compatibility, however.

Pretty much hit the nail there IMO.

I own both platforms so that I can work at my mac and game on my PC, perfect arrangement for me... :)

QFT. Or you could just think of Macs as the consoles of the PC world as they always have been. :)

Eh, I've had WAY more hardware trouble with my PC than any of my macs... Hardware wise that is.

The main reason that Mac users rarely have problems is because they don't overclock, upgrade, or tinker with anything. They're closed off in boxes that are controlled & defined by Apple's way of thinking. If you never have issues with anything you enjoy, how can you progress in enriching the experience you cherish? I think if any Mac user says that self- built enthusiast PCs (that are beasts at everything they do) are crap, they're full of blind devotion. Apple says they cater to the rebels & mavericks... but they're just reaching out to the conformists who love a sterile environment.

Back