PC hard reboots in certain games within an hour, runs stress tests all night

Aix

Limp Gawd
What do you fellas think could cause this behavior:

- reboots without BSOD within 20-60 mins when playing the new Total War or Unreal Tournament
- runs some other graphics intensive games like Doom or XCOM2 all day, never reboots
- runs heaven benchmark, 3Dmark, prime all day/night in a loop, never reboots

I've swapped RAM, so it's not that. CPU? PSU? MOBO?? Could it possibly be a software issue? Thanks for all ideas in advance.

Are you overclocking? Have you tried resetting everything back to stock clocks? Tried rolling back to older graphics driver versions?

I would have guessed ram.....but you swapped it.

Could be DRM related with Total War? Maybe reinstall it?

Everything is at stock. I've reinstalled TW. Have NOT tried rolling back graphics drivers... I wonder how far back I should go.

My question... what video card are you running, and what version of the video drivers are you using? Have you thought about uninstalling the video drivers, running Display Driver Uninstaller, then reinstalling the drivers. If the card is a couple years old, I would try taking it apart, cleaning off the old thermal compound, and putting some new thermal compound on.

The video card is only a couple of months old - a gtx1070. Tried running DDU and reinstalling, did not help. What's frustrating me to no end is that I cannot figure out the logic behind what could be happening. Why would this be happening in some games but not in others? I've got another motherboard I can try to swap in, but I've been putting it off because it would really suck to go through all the work and risking a mess with the drivers only to find out that it wasn't the issue.

I asked if it was a Gigabyte board because I struggled with a pretty mysterious problem with hard lockups (no BSOD) for 6 months. The only fix I stumbled upon was to disable C-states because I suspected there was something wrong with certain voltage transitions either thru the UEFI or on the CPU itself. I ended up updating the UEFI to a beta version as well as RMAing the chip which ended up fixing the problem. I RMAed the chip shortly after the UEFI update so I'm not sure if the beta UEFI was the actual fix, but check for a UEFI update in any case.

The C-state problem has been documented in a thread on the Intel forum: https://communities.intel.com/thread/97358

It's an asrock, but I see in the thread you linked that there are further links to asrock message board. I'd already updated the bios, but now I've disabled c-state; we'll see if that helps.

Thank you all for these suggestions so far!

The video card is only a couple of months old - a gtx1070. Tried running DDU and reinstalling, did not help. What's frustrating me to no end is that I cannot figure out the logic behind what could be happening. Why would this be happening in some games but not in others? I've got another motherboard I can try to swap in, but I've been putting it off because it would really suck to go through all the work and risking a mess with the drivers only to find out that it wasn't the issue.
Seriously try a new power supply. When I got my gtx 1080, my computer would also randomly reboot while gaming. My computer had a maybe 3 year old 850W HX Corsair PSU. I went to Best Buy and got a $60 750W CX Corsair PSU that was on sale and it's not rebooted itself since and that was maybe 6 months ago.

Hmm I have a 7 year old 750W HX Corsair PSU, I'll try that before going for the motherboard.

Hmm I have a 7 year old 750W HX Corsair PSU, I'll try that before going for the motherboard.
It's worth a shot. Just saying, my HX series didn't like the card. Here's a thread where I discovered this and someone else mentioned Corsair HX power supplies having issues with GTX 1080s (Your 1070 is very similar).

No reboots whatsoever, I'm declaring the PSU swap a success! Good call Doc, thank you and everyone else. Feels damn good to have a stable system again.

For future ( if its not the case already) i would advice to always run prime95 + some 3d eavy stuff ( ussualy furmark) to ensure PSU/cooling system is stress tested as well. runnig just single point stress test might not show errors that would occur under a systemwide load.

Ccongratz and solving it though. annoying to have an unstable system.

Back