Pc guy thinking of a console for once.

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Half seriously thinking of getting a console since I've had no dice on an rtx 3080 so far and I find myself just using the x360 pad for games more and more on the pc while graphics gains seem, but for raytracing, to be getting less and less on the PC. That uncanny valley is real.

I always preferred the Xbox pad to the ps one (I bought a $200 PS4 slim with Spiderman bundle in late 2018 as I really wanted to play it but haven't touched it yet....). Those two things worry me about trying a new console.

I also like that console online play is much more difficult to really cheat in and that their community tends to last better for games.

I would probably grab an rtx 3060ti or 3070 still to keep a nice rig around for mmo's and work. My monitor is an older 4k60 with gsync so it would necessitate turning settings down a bit which I don'timd so much.

After hearing about the performance of Spiderman remastered I am tempted to get that with Spiderman morales. I have always loved Spiderman games.

I'm torn as I bought a bunch of new upgrades for my pc early this year thinking Ampere was coming in March. It feels strange to think of going lower end for just the GPU for it now.

Random ramblings, but has anyone tried a ps5 who has a decent pc rig? I find myself wanting to upgrade and maintain a gaming pc less as I get older and I find myself playing games less on the pc over time. Also enticed more since the consoles offer 60FPS modes finally. 30 or below isn't playable for me.

I think I'm a little burnt out on pc gaming since I don't play any current mmo (the one I'm a backer for and I'm testing won't launch until 2022 I'm sure). That's really the only genre that ties me to the pc since I just play Battlefield 4 still for an fps.

P. S. Is the ps5 covered by best buys holiday returns policy? I feel like I won't be happy unless I try it but I don't want to get stuck selling it if I don't like it.

Last edited:
You really think you can get one? Have you been following the news lately? You are more likely to grab a 3080 than a ps5. I've been told to don't expect the ps5 in stock until springtime.

I sold my PC and bought PS4 Pro. A mistake. That was a couple of years ago. I lasted 6 months then bought a PC again.
Just because you can't get 3080 doesn't mean the world is ending. Get 2080Ti, it's plenty powerful for 4k/60.

if you don't really play many games on PC anymore then why not go with the PS5...everyone's usage rate is different...PC will always be superior but at the end of the day it's about which system you'll use more...for me I think maybe the PS6 would be where I would seriously consider switching over to consoles

I was considering making this move before my 3080 arrived. I find most of the games I'm playing on PC nowadays are older classics or indie games: none require a top of the line GPU and an old 1080 ti would be more than enough. It's been a looong time since an AAA game came exclusive to PC that wasn't also on a console. And AAA games I'd want to play will be handled well by new consoles, and PS exclusives are worth the time. That said, I'd never totally discard my PC since my game library is substantial.

This is all entirely hypothetical, of course, since you're not going to find a PS5 or XB until March or later.

Take a break from gaming for you are not missing much. Your wanting is trying to fill a hole, and that console will not. I think to place it in context enough: I was shopping with a friend one day and I turned with an item and asked "Should I get this?" He said, "if you are thinking about it, just put it back." Your purchase should be as wanting and as proper as a glass of water is to a thirsty throat.

Your journey is elsewhere.......

.......or just be patient

and consoles can "cheat" too (q.v. Cronus)

I got a PS5 (while waiting for a new GPU upgrade) and have been enjoying it. Biggest improvement for me was the SSD load times (seriously great - my biggest pet peeve of last generation was the slow HDD) and the haptic controller. Don't think it will replace my PC as my main gaming machine, but it will definitely make the wait between GPU upgrades easier.

I don’t have a PS5 yet, but I nabbed a 3080 the other day and have played a decent number of games on my PS4 Pro since I bought it a few years ago. I would say I enjoy the console overall more than PC. It’s mostly the experience — sit back on the couch with a controller in front of a big TV, rather than at a desk. Many of my favorite games were on my PS4 over the last few years, despite the 30fps garbage in some of them which I learned to get over. That’s the last compromise that the new gen consoles should remove. The Last of Us Pt 2 for example looked pretty much as good as any PC game to me minus the 30fps.

I pretty much bought this 3080 and CX 48 for Cyberpunk. Otherwise would have waited for the PS5 patch next year to play it. I bet the experience will be just as good. I’m a bit tempted to trade the 3080 for a PS5 + lesser GPU tbh if I could convince someone to do it (already sold my 1070 on here)

After a long hiatus from PC gaming, I got back into it around when the PS4 Pro came out. I built a PC bought a ton of games on Steam. Replayed some old favorites even went to a few LAN parties. The thing was I just didn't enjoy it. I didn't like gaming at a desk. So I bought a Steam Link. Started using that in other rooms in my house. Things were better but still not ideal. Eventually, I saw a Xbox One X for a steep discount at Costco and decided to pick it up. That was when I realized I just don't prefer PC gaming in general. There were still some console peasantries I didn't care for. Like a lot of games being only 30FPS and the ungodly long loading times. Also, I really missed VRR (Freesync/GSync) from my monitor. With these new consoles pretty much all of my woes have been cured. With the Xbox Series X I can play older games that I really enjoyed and now they look and play better than before. For Example Fallout 3 and Oblivion and even KOTOR. I am currently playing through Dead Space. Quick resume is so nice. If you have a game, for example, like Witcher 3 that has a lot of logos and stuff at the start of the game you only have to see them once. Then the next time you just quick resume into the game where you last left off. Also, some of the best looking games of last gen came from Sony. I am hoping to be able to play those games but now at 60FPS. I know Ghost of Tsushima was updated to run at 60. I believe God of War and a few others as well.

Now I realize not everyone is going to agree with me. The added horsepower and raytracing of newer GPUs is still a leap in performance when compared to the consoles. To many people that is very important. I'm just not one of those people.

As someone who games on both his PC and consoles even the same games have a different "feeling" on console (for me mainly games like destiny 2 and call of duty). This may just be a subjective thing but when I'm on console it feels more social and laid back with more of a community mind set, my PC is where I go when I want to either mmo or play fps games in sweaty mode lol. Maybe its because on consoles its alot easier to see and join friends in any game vs PC where friends lists are a wild west of platforms and games. Now that the new consoles play games at 60-120hz performance has stopped being an issue to for me, personally resolution stops being a concern in any fast paced game.

Unless I'm sitting in picture mode or looking for it I cant tell the difference between 1080p and 4k when I'm in the middle of a fire fight so the whole "PC's are supurior argument, look at the graphics!" loses alot of meaning to me this gen, the only thing that matters is refresh rate and hdr. My other issue with PC gaming is HDR is so fucking hit and miss compared to say the xbox series X and its amazing auto-hdr or the playstation exclusives. Top that off gamepass ultimate has such synergy between xbox and PC its crazy and makes the xbox series X worth it all on its own lol.

I own the PS5, xbox series X and a gaming pc (still rocking a 1080 though) and honestly love all 3 systems.

consoles are great. and these new gen consoles are pretty amazing.

But people should also get past the strange stigma of connecting your PC directly to your TV. Forget steamlink, etc. Go direct. Sit on that couch. Pull a recliner directly in front. Aww yeah.

Just buy one on ebay its what I did. I made good on people for years selling treasure hunts and Intels CPUs. 3080s last dropped in two weeks and the Evga list is a really long wait. I got sick if the hunt and caved paid 170.00 over retail for a 3070.

The problem with the shortage isn't just the chips its components of the gpus so who knows how long it will last. I can tell you one thing a GPU is put together better than a Ps5. I mean it has to be put together better just in order to work.

Last edited:
Thinking of a console eh? I would suggest starting with a Turbo Grafx PC Engine CD / Duo or a Neo Geo :)

Thinking of a console eh? I would suggest starting with a Turbo Grafx PC Engine CD / Duo or a Neo Geo :)
Haha been there done that ;). I ended up catching a 3080 ftw hybrid off of evga yesterday and it's already shipped! I chose Pony Express shipping since I need a new case to fit it in and the case won't arrive much sooner than the card.

I may get a ps5 someday, but not today.... Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!

I've tried giving up on PC, but at the end of the day the games just run so much better on PC if you've got the hardware. The perfect example was AC Unity. I got it for Xbox One at launch, and compared to PC it just felt like absolute dogshit with the low frames.

Only console I continue to own is whatever Nintendo is doing since the games are different enough. Also, the Switch makes a great device to play small indie titles on.

As stated though, getting into a medium/high-end gaming PC right now is basically impossible unless you buy pre-built. I see plenty of decent CPU/GPU options pre-built, but the supply just isn't there to buy the parts on your own.

The PS5 is the closest thing to the PC experience since the Xbox 360 first launched. They're (finally) focused on high framerates and quick loading, which were the two biggest perks for PC gaming in my opinion. Exclusives are mostly a thing of the past, but Sony still has a few absolute gems that you can't play anywhere else.
You aren't necessarily going to totally replicate or replace PC gaming's advantages, especially if you aren't a pad player, but this PS5 is as close as we've seen in a long time.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
The PS5 is the closest thing to the PC experience since the Xbox 360 first launched. They're (finally) focused on high framerates and quick loading, which were the two biggest perks for PC gaming in my opinion. Exclusives are mostly a thing of the past, but Sony still has a few absolute gems that you can't play anywhere else.
You aren't necessarily going to totally replicate or replace PC gaming's advantages, especially if you aren't a pad player, but this PS5 is as close as we've seen in a long time.
PS5 is worth it because of their few exclusives. It's the only reason why I continue to buy the system.

I haven't even thought about playing on my PC since the new consoles have come out. The wide variety of games on Xbox GamePass and the upgraded frame rates of the Sony exclusives have kept me entertained.

Hard for me to recommend a ps5 for the next few months. Nothing really to play on it you can't do on a 4.

So I tl;dr'ed you. But based on the thread title I'll say this:

Right now there isn't really anything worth playing on "next gen" consoles. So even if you're planning on doing most of your gaming on PS5/XSX, then it's probably just good in general to hold off (even if there wasn't a shortage). You're guaranteed a certain level of performance from these systems and they'll be relevant for at least 4 years. Microsoft just bought Bethesda and they're bringing that entire dev to Gamepass. So if Bethesda games are your bag (they aren't mine) then that could legitimately be a good way to go.

Anyway, long story short, there is a lot of validity to going this route. I'm not a Microsoft or Bethesda fan so I'd likely go PS5 route. Which is fine, but it's less likely that PS5 will have keyboard support - although there will likely be companies like XIM that bring KB/M to PS5 if Sony leaves it conspicuously absent. If you're into RPG's, multi-platform titles, or Sony's first party titles then you'll likely have a good time with little downside. Personally I'm good with waiting for a mid-console refresh out of Sony, because quite frankly the PS5 is way too huge and I want something smaller and better cooled than what it offers (GN tear-down revealed improperly cooled RAM as an example). And then at that point I "might" buy one. By then there should be a backlog of titles that are worth playing (hopefully) although there aren't a ton of games that I play anyway.

Last edited:
If FPS didn't suck on a controller I wouldn't have a PC period. My MacBook pays the bills and an Unraid server handles heavy lifting duties for the house. I enjoy shooters too much though. 30 minutes of Division 2 chills me out like no other.

I got a ps5 months ago and sold it to a friend that was using a og ps4. I went back to my pro and immediately missed the ps5. Ended up getting a GameStop bundle that will get delivered tomorrow.

If it’s worth it is entirely up to you. For me it’s 100% worth it over the pro. I play mlb the show and it’s unplayable in 4k, if you play online at a mlb stadium you’ll get random stutters at 1080p and the game looks like shit. The ps5 solves that issue, the game runs super smooth in mlb parks at 4k and looks crispy.

The menu, store and everything UI based is so much faster thanks to the nvme drive. It actually feels like your using a pc with a controller. I sold my 3070 rig for $2k and don’t regret it

I mainly play the show and dead by daylight, for me the ps5 makes more sense. I wasn’t really into shooters on the pc and the rig was total overkill for DBD. Everyone’s situation is different but for me it’s worth buying

Back