PC glitches after several hours

Jeff G

Limp Gawd
I’m on the most current windows update. Nvidia gpu with updated drivers.
This PC is used as my Plex server. It runs 24/7. If I’m physically using the computer, it’ll run fine for hours on end without issue. When I shut the monitor off, the Plex server runs for days or weeks on end without issue. But, if I turn the monitor off and go back to it like 6 hours later (or two days later or any amount of time more than a couple hours), once I turn the monitor back on it takes like a minute to get a display and then it’s super slow and buggy to the point it has to be restarted (which also freezes and takes like 3 minutes).
Any ideas what could be causing this? I’ve tried everything I can think of, kinda at my wits end with this issue. It’s super annoying having to restart every time I want to use the PC, especially since we use Plex a ton and it’ll kill whatever video my kids are watching when I have to restart.

does just restarting explorer.exe "fix" it? Are you running an AMD setup?

does just restarting explorer.exe "fix" it? Are you running an AMD setup?
Yes to both. A restart fixes it until it sits for more than a few hours again. 1700x on a b350 I think (I’ll double check when I get home).

Can you set the power settings to not turn off the monitor, just run the blank screen saver, I had a similar issue with an HDMI connected display and it ended up being the video card trying to redetect the display when it powered back on.

You're using a desktop OS to run a server. Windows is not really designed to be stable over long periods of time.

Can you set the power settings to not turn off the monitor, just run the blank screen saver, I had a similar issue with an HDMI connected display and it ended up being the video card trying to redetect the display when it powered back on.
I dont want to leave the monitor on though, as it runs 24/7 and the monitor is only on every couple days or so. That would use a lot more power to leave the monitor on than off, which I’d prefer not to do.

You're using a desktop OS to run a server. Windows is not really designed to be stable over long periods of time.
It happens in the span of 24 hours. I wouldn’t consider that a long time. We have work PC’s that run for months on end without a restart and don’t have this issue, running the same version of Windows.
If I restart the computer, turn off the monitor, and come back 24 hours later the problem is there. I think it’s another issue.

No, I mean in the power settings, like where it says to turn off the monitor after xx minutes., set that to never.
Still physically turn off the monitor though, but the pc will keep power to the video connection

I have 2 AMD setups that I have to set it to "never turn off monitor" otherwise I get the same thing .. one is a 3600 (and had a 3600x) on a Prime B350-Plus and RX 570 4GB, other is a 5600x (had a 3800xt and 3700x on it) on an x570 Taichi w/ 5700xt .. restarting explorer.exe fixes it, but I haven't figured out how to make it stop .. I have another setup with a 3700x on an x570 Steel Legend and RX 580 4GB that does not do it .. all have latest BIOS's and chipset/GPU drivers from AMD.com

Yet I have multiple systems used daily running Win 10, up for months, with no issue. Quit staining threads with your anti MS babble, it has no value or factual basis.
up for months with Microsoft updates booting your computer by force. Not likely.

This setting:
1616773607742.png

Try turning off PCI-E native power management in your bios. I have experienced issues with the native mode.
I looked everywhere and couldn’t find this setting in the bios. Any suggestions? AB350 board if that helps.

I looked everywhere and couldn’t find this setting in the bios. Any suggestions? AB350 board if that helps.
I've never had a Ryzen. But that setting should be in the section related to chipset/platform/integrated peripherals, etc.

Do you have any overclocking or modifications on your graphics card? Undervolt/overvolt, etc.?

What happens if you just let the monitor go to sleep?

Yeh, try leaving the monitor itself on, but set the Screensaver to blank and not turning the display off in power settings

have you tried system file checker? or repair windows system image?

Back