PC Gaming?

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
How is Windows 11 Pro for pc gaming? I have some friends tell me to go with Windows 10 Pro for pc gaming. So I was going to go with 11 pro. But after talking top my friends saying there are problem s with 11.when it comes to gaming.

Any help.

How is Windows 11 Pro for pc gaming? I have some friends tell me to go with Windows 10 Pro for pc gaming. So I was going to go with 11 pro. But after talking top my friends saying there are problem s with 11.when it comes to gaming.

Any help.
Windows 11 is fine for gaming. It's almost a must for 12th and 13th generation Intel CPU's.

There is no inherent issue with Windows 11 and gaming. Windows 11 is actually more likely to support new technologies going forward.

What you have are new changes with CPUs that are fairly unprecedented. This is especially true with Intel, with the separate P (performance) and E (efficiency) cores, with huge performance differences between the two. You do NOT want your game to end up on an E core, whereas in the past it didn't really matter so much which core your game ended up using. On newer AMD chips it's also important which cores your game ends up on (to a much lesser extent) as there can be small performance penalties when your game is using cores that are spread across multiple CCDs. On some of the newer AM5 X3D chips you even have one CCD with 3D cache and one CCD without 3D cache. The Windows Scheduler is largely what determines what cores get used by what programs, and this is why Windows 11 uses a much more advanced scheduler. Of course there have been speed-bumps along the way as new tech is released, new drivers are released, and Microsoft does it's best to make it all work together and optimize things.

Fortunately for you, none of this really applies to the 11900k. Even for the CPUs that are/were affected, Microsoft is actually pretty good at resolving these issues. Choosing your OS is a long-term choice and I would not base that off a short-term issue that has likely already been patched.

When I bought my 11900k I knew it had no e-cores. I figure I would not need them for gaming.

As for a long term for the OS. Well I'm old and will be lucky if I have another 10 years. So I am not worried about that.

Fortunately for you, none of this really applies to the 11900k. Even for the CPUs that are/were affected, Microsoft is actually pretty good at resolving these issues. Choosing your OS is a long-term choice and I would not base that off a short-term issue that has likely already been patched.

Nope, does that consistently happen with Win10?

Windows 11 has the more advanced scheduler that is able to differentiate between the two. With Windows 10 your best option would be to simply disable the E cores.

As for a long term for the OS. Well I'm old and will be lucky if I have another 10 years. So I am not worried about that.

Windows 10 hits EoL on October 14, 2025 so unless you think that you will die before then, Windows 11 is still the better choice. I really don't understand the resistance as the two are really quite similar, it's not like you will have to re-learn how to use your computer.

Windows 10 hits EoL on October 14, 2025 so unless you think that you will die before then, Windows 11 is still the better choice. I really don't understand the resistance as the two are really quite similar, it's not like you will have to re-learn how to use your computer.
Windows 11 has no option to expand taskbar icons rendering it incredibly frustrating to use for me.

Windows 11 has no option to expand taskbar icons rendering it incredibly frustrating to use for me.
Yes while it is frustrating in a few ways it's still the newest and latest supported OS for gaming so I have no choice but to deal with it's little quirks to have the best gaming performance.

EOL means nothing to me. In my sign is the pc I am still running for the last 9 years. Windows 7. And I don't want to hear oh you cannot update it. So what. I have never had a problem with it ever. And no scammers!!! The only reason I am thinking about 10/11 is I am building a new pc.

What makes it a "must"?
Intel's 12th and 13th generation CPU's have both P cores and E cores. The latter are a different design that focuses on efficiency rather than raw performance. The issue is that Windows 10's scheduler does not know what to do with the E-cores. If the scheduler assigns tasks to the E-cores that need to be on the P-cores, the CPU will not perform well.

EOL means nothing to me. In my sign is the pc I am still running for the last 9 years. Windows 7. And I don't want to hear oh you cannot update it. So what. I have never had a problem with it ever. And no scammers!!! The only reason I am thinking about 10/11 is I am building a new pc.
With that attitude I would solidly say, stay with Win7 for your new build!

Nope. They are more traditional in terms of their CPU cores.

so no difference between W10 and W11 for AMD users?...I'm still using W10 and the only reason I even considered W11 was for DirectStorage support but the benchmark numbers don't really show a big difference (between W10 vs W11)

Last edited:
so no difference between W10 and W11 for AMD users?...I'm still using W10 and the only reason I even considered W11 was for DirectStorage support but the benchmarks numbers don't really show a big difference (between W10 vs W11)

Correct.

what about for AMD CPU's?...the latest Zen 4 or Zen 3

It depends on exactly which AMD CPU you are talking about.

The latest Zen4 X3D chips are a big departure since on the multi-CCD chips you have one CCD with 3D cache and one CCD without 3D cache. Assigning things to the appropriate CCD is vital with these chips, and this is where you will really see the Windows 11 scheduler come into play.

There are tiny benefits on other AMD Zen 3 and Zen 4 Multi-CCD chips, but it's arguable how significant they are in practice. On non-3D cache Zen 3 and 4 chips that have multiple CCDs, there is a tiny benefit since games benefit from using cores that are on the same CCD. Using multiple cores that are spread across different CCDs means that they have to communicate across the infinity fabric in order to communicate with each other, which incurs a latency penalty. This would come into play on the 5900X and 5950X but not the 5800X or 5800X3D since the later two only have one CCD.

The image below compares frametime latency (aka potential microstutter) between a 5900X and a 5800X3D. It's clear that the 5800X3D would deliver a smoother experience. This decreased latency is either due to the 3D cache, only having one CCD, or a combination of both. You would have to run this same comparison between a 5800X and a 5800X3D to be sure. Unfortunately this kind of data is usually ignored in favor of pure FPS numbers which obviously don't tell the entire story. The Windows 11 scheduler will try to run your game on a single CCD, so in theory, it should give you benefits similar to having a single CCD chip, even when using a multi-CCD chip, as long as your game isn't using more cores than are available on a single CCD.

5800x3d_review2.png

It depends on exactly which AMD CPU you are talking about.

The image below compares frametime latency (aka potential microstutter) between a 5900X and a 5800X3D. It's clear that the 5800X3D would deliver a smoother experience. This decreased latency is either due to the 3D cache, only having one CCD, or a combination of both. You would have to run this same comparison between a 5800X and a 5800X3D to be sure. Unfortunately this kind of data is usually ignored in favor of pure FPS numbers which obviously don't tell the entire story. The Windows 11 scheduler will try to run your game on a single CCD, so in theory, it should give you benefits similar to having a single CCD chip, even when using a multi-CCD chip, as long as your game isn't using more cores than are available on a single CCD

one of the main reasons I went with a 5800X when it was first released was because of the single 8 CCX design as it was better in latency sensitive tasks such as gaming

I got offered a free upgrade to W11 and am letting it install now.. for z690/13th gen cpu seems like a must.

They can have my W10Pro when they can pry it from my cold, dead computer, hehehe :)

Or at least until the security patches run out.....

It's probably worth mentioning that you probably don't need the Pro version of either Windows 10 or 11 for a gaming system. That's mainly for business use. Hyper-V and Bitlocker are the only mainstream use cases I can see. The Home version of either OS is what normal users should target. In the case of Hyper-V, apparently it's in the Home OS, but you just have to unlock it with PowerShell.

From everything I read and videos I watched. To install 11 you must be online. But with 11 Pro you do not have to. Plus I hate Microsoft!!!

It's probably worth mentioning that you probably don't need the Pro version of either Windows 10 or 11 for a gaming system. That's mainly for business use. Hyper-V and Bitlocker are the only mainstream use cases I can see. The Home version of either OS is what normal users should target. In the case of Hyper-V, apparently it's in the Home OS, but you just have to unlock it with PowerShell.

From everything I read and videos I watched. To install 11 you must be online. But with 11 Pro you do not have to. Plus I hate Microsoft!!!

You can install 11 via a local account and you can do it offline. Microsoft does habitually make it a pain in the ass, but you can absolutely still do it. If you truly hate Microsoft, they make both Windows 10 and 11. You could go the Linux route?

No ignorance here. Was very tired when I type that. And Linux sucks for desktop. But Linux is good for Crypto mining.

I made the switch to Linux about 3 years ago and never looked back. I'm still struggling with it at times but I'm no longer stressed by worrying what MS is gonna pull next and I can sleep better knowing big brother isn't looking over my shoulder. I do still have a couple of Windows boxes for Windows only programs like iTunes, Garmin updater and Blue Iris but will be looking to maybe run them under Wine in the future. If not it's no big deal since I rarely interact with them. But if you game then I can see sticking with Windows.

So far W11 is fine.. many items I like to get to seem to require one more step.. stuff is more buried in the menus.. At least my e-cores are getting recognition and games run well.

Yeah when win 7 ran out, I switched to linux as a daily driver and have loved it, sure tweak hear and there but I figured it out.
Will 11 for games and video editing, that's it zero personal data.

Back