PC Gaming Subscription Service Utomik Launches Today

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
If the title didn't give it away, Utomik, a PC gaming subscription service has launched today! The press release boasts of over 100 publishing partners, as well as over 750 games available to play now. It's worth noting that Utomik does not stream the games, instead users download a small part of the game to their PC, and the rest downloads while you play.

At the price this could be a no-brainer if they start getting some newly released titles, back in my console days I always had a GameFly subscription for this very reason. They are offering a 14 day trial if you see any games that tickle your fancy.

Founded in 2014 by a small team of dedicated Dutch gamers, Utomik is a pioneering startup based in The Netherlands and California with offices in Eindhoven and Los Angeles. It is one of the first subscription based gaming platforms to hit the market. We are proud to be an integral part in bringing the Netflix and Spotify model to the world of video games.

Would be awesome with the right games...

(clicks the link)
The Love Boat
Delicious Emily's The Miracle of Life
Dr. Care's Pet Rescue 911

Ok I think I'm done here.

Would be awesome with the right games...

(clicks the link)
The Love Boat
Delicious Emily's The Miracle of Life
Dr. Care's Pet Rescue 911

Ok I think I'm done here.

Bah, theres a few good games in there..... I just played them all like 5+ years ago :confused:

"Delicious Moms vs Dads" then "Delicious Emily's Miracle of Life."

Utomik-GoingLive.jpg

Interesting but my Steam collection is already ridiculous and I don't have time to play much in it. $9.99 for a 4 person family is not bad though - I have two kids and Steam doesn't always work out when people want to play the same game (unless I buy another copy)

If the title didn't give it away, Utomik, a PC gaming subscription service has launched today! The press release boasts of over 100 publishing partners, as well as over 750 games available to play now. It's worth noting that Utomik does not stream the games, instead users download a small part of the game to their PC, and the rest downloads while you play.

At the price this could be a no-brainer if they start getting some newly released titles, back in my console days I always had a GameFly subscription for this very reason. They are offering a 14 day trial if you see any games that tickle your fancy.

Founded in 2014 by a small team of dedicated Dutch gamers, Utomik is a pioneering startup based in The Netherlands and California with offices in Eindhoven and Los Angeles. It is one of the first subscription based gaming platforms to hit the market. We are proud to be an integral part in bringing the Netflix and Spotify model to the world of video games.

Give it 6 months tops.

I do like to play a wide variety of games, but unlike console I virtually never buy a dud. Especially since most services you buy games from offer some sort of first day refund if the game turns out to either be complete trash, or just not run at an acceptable level on modern hardware. Since I'll dump a few hundred hours in a good rpg or over a thousand into a multiplayer shooter, I'm usually very proud to support the developers that still make good content. Unlike console games you can often find fairly recent titles from under 5 dollars if you want to try something you wouldn't normally jump at. I just don't see myself ever needing a service like this at the moment. However, for the younger gamer, that doesn't want to research everything they buy, it would be a great asset to just run the gamut of variety.

Your right. For the price of the sub, you could just buy them all outright on Steam though.
That's what I was thinking too, $7 a month... but how low have these games (worth playing) been? If there were some newer games that haven't been absolutely massively discounted were there, then sure maybe. Lego Movie the game... ok but what about the more recent ones?

I'm happy to see another kid on the block since we could always use more competition for these kind of businesses but I do agree with others that their subscription prices need to be re-evaluated. Humblebundle, GOG, Steam all provide great value for these kind of things. Lower your standards a bit and even EA/Origin Access isn't so bad, I did it and no real regrets.

I think my last try with a PC gaming subscription was GameTap way back when. Cool for a while, but for the gaming time I have available, better to wait for steam/gog sales and humble bundles - then just buy cheap.

I get what they're going for here, kinda like Amazon Music where a $7/month subscription let's you stream virtually every record every made. However I'm not sure video games would work that way very well.

Give them credit for trying something new tho. I guess time will tell.

Back