PC Games Purchase Advice

alexheinz

Gawd
So I'm building a new PC and am scheduled to receive the rest of my parts this Thursday (see sig for specs).

I already have Half Life 2 and C&C3 for PC, and Bioshock, COD4, Gears of War and the Orange Box for 360.

Anyway, here is a list of the games I am thinking.

1. Oblivion GOTY edition (I already have Oblivion for 360 but I want to play the expansions).
2. Battlefield 2. It is $10, but with all the expansions it is around $30. Are they worth the extra $20?
3. Battlefield 2142. Should I get this AND BF2 or just BF2?
4. Warcraft 3 Battle Chest. An older game, but I've never played it.
5. Unreal Tournament
6. Crysis.
7. Company of Heroes.
8. Counter Strike: Source. I want to get either this or BF2.

Anything to add/subtract? Thanks.

IMO the CoD4 experience is wayyyy different on PC then it is on 360/ps3. So I would go for CoD4 over getting Crysis.

1. Oblivion GOTY edition (I already have Oblivion for 360 but I want to play the expansions).
2. Battlefield 2. It is $10, but with all the expansions it is around $30. Are they worth the extra $20?
3. Battlefield 2142. Should I get this AND BF2 or just BF2?
4. Warcraft 3 Battle Chest. An older game, but I've never played it.
5. Unreal Tournament
6. Crysis.
7. Company of Heroes.
8. Counter Strike: Source. I want to get either this or BF2.

Anything to add/subtract? Thanks.

Get Qarl's texture pack for Oblivion. Along with that, BTMod and Obscuro's. The later two being regarded as must have by the Oblivion PC gaming community.

If you can get 2142 cheap, get em both. I bought it, I thought it was "meh" at best. I didn't care for BF2 much either though. But, I like to fly and the maps are too small to do it.

Better yet, instead of messing with BF and Counter Strike, pick up Orange Box for Portal and TF2. (edit: nm, you have it for XBox. Well... grab it anwyays? :p)

UT3? Grab the demo, see if you like it.

CoH, can't go wrong with that. If you like RTS or 4X games, one to look out for is Sins of a Solar Empire. It's coming out in 2 weeks

List looks good. I really wouldn't change much on that list at all. I think getting the expansions for BF2 would be worthwhile. Granted, you'll have no problem finding games with vanilla BF2, having the extras would add more enjoyment and variance to the game. I'd stay away from BF2142...I've never played it but from what I've read it's not worth it, plus BF2 is more popular anyway (there seems to be about 3x the players on BF2 then there is on BF2142 at a given time).

Like Bluefish, I'd add Company of Heroes as well if you're into RTS games. A few other's worth looking into would be Supreme Commander, the Dawn of War series, and World in Conflict, which has one of the most enjoyable single-player campaigns I've ever played, in my opinion.

I would definitely get Oblivion, its one of my favorites. I loved Crysis, others may differ, but it makes one heck of a test for your system. I would get BF2 over CS:Source anyday if I had to choose. I plan on getting CoH myself soon. Warcraft 3 is classic.

ok so:

oblivion goty
bf2 (only $10 too)
company of heroes ($20)
warcraft 3

still not sure about cod4 for pc, i spent $60 the day it came out and beat it on veteran, and then played multi for hours for around a month (two if you include the beta). if there's a demo i will dl it and test it out.

i will probably pick up bf2142, but is it different enough from bf2 or just bf2 in the future? i mean like graphics, gameplay, etc.

If you're looking for a multi FPS you really should buy TF2 for PC, you don't know what you're missing from the 360 version.

Instead of getting the battlefield games wait for frontlines: fuel of war. It'll be out in about a month though. I have a feeling when that comes out a lot of people will be switching over from bf2.

I wish I had your free time :(

BTW, Warcraft 3 ownz :cool:

haha i have school literally from 9am to 8:30pm on monday and wednesday, then a few hours on friday too, with community service or work on tuesday or thursday. well, i get about 20 minutes for lunch on mon. and wed., but i have to eat in my car really fast.

the trick is to not sleep that much.

I heartily recommend The Witcher as well as Age of Empires III. That's about the extent of my gaming outside of flying with Flight Simulator X and X-Plane.

Pick up Orange Box for PC. I guarantee you it is better than the 360/PS3 versions. Custom maps and mods will make it worth it.

You can pick up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for $30 or less. I had more fun playing it than I did Crysis. There are some great mods for it too.

I got the following yesterday.

Company of Heroes
Oblivion GOTY
BF2

Looks like I will have to pick up the Witcher since everyone seems to be recommending it. It looks kinda like a bright anime Elder Scrolls game.

So maybe buy

The Witcher
Warcraft 3
Unreal Tournament 3? swatX is right, nobody has really said anything about it.

I hope you're not going to make the same mistake I did and buy all your games at once:( I neglected most of my games since some were waaay better than others.

most of the games have demos, for the ones you have not bought yet. I suggest trying them. The witcher, and the new dawn of war both have demos out, as does UT3, and Crysis. Ive played both bf2 and cs source, and i play source much more. While it does not have the vehicles, the infantry weapons feel like crap in the game. I can score kills easier with the pistol than i can with the assault rifles with more hits. WTF is that about. The game does have its moments, but i bought special forces, and have yet to install it, or purchase the other expansion. Later this year the new Battlefield with be out, for bf2142 only buy it if its $20 or less. Save yourself money when you can. besides you cant play all the games at once.

I bought gears of war for pc too, even though i have it on XBOX, but i did notice shooting is much easier on the pc. Im almost to the part with the first truck ride, so ill see how that goes.

I would imagine cod4 plays better on the pc too, but i only have it for PC and love it.

you can get bf2142 for $10 at Circuit city right now.

Also if you get crysis make sure to use this config. It'll make your experience 100% better.

Back