PC games piracy survey

PrincessFrosty

Supreme [H]ardness
Just to gather some stats on piracy out of general interest I put together this survey today.

Survey now closed but link to the original to see the questions.

It's not affiliated with anything I'm just a [H]forum member interested in finding out what the real deal is with piracy, the results will be made public for everyone to see once we have a good average, so we can all learn a little something

No personal information is gathered by the survey so you have no reason to be dishonest, I ask that if you feel the need to lie you simply select N/A or exit the survey rather than poison the results. Results will be displayed as totals only and no individual answers will be given out.

Results after 100 responses, survey won't allow me to go over 100 responses unfortunately.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3097/results100.png

Some basic stats:

86% of people have pirated a PC game
1% pirate all their games
7% pirate all their games except ones they have to pay for (e.g for multiplayer)

The top reasons for pirating:
52% - To try a game you wouldn't otherwise buy just in case you like it
45% - To test a game before you buy it
37% - Because you didn't have enough money to purchase

Of the games people pirate
An average of 24% of games people never finish are later paid for
An average of 41% of games people liked enough to finish are later paid for
An average of 59% of games people thing are worth the money are later paid for

24% of people use piracy as a device to play games now and buy when the price drops

Of all people that pirate games the average digital distribution catalogue (e.g steam) is 59% games they've pirated and later bought at discount.

The threat of internet being disconnected would only dissuade 12% of people
36% of people would look for better ways to hide their identity
A Massive 91% of everyone understand what both web proxies and VPN are

I personally take away from this survey that:
  • Most people have pirated
  • Hardly anyone pirates all of their games, most people also buy games.
  • Gamers WANT to buy games, they are given the option to get for free or pay and given the opportunity and circumstance they will pay for games they like.
  • Overwhelmingly the biggest reasons for pirating is to try before you buy.
  • By far the single most important factor if people will buy your game is IF IT'S ANY GOOD! There is a very strong trend of people buying more and more games after they have pirated them if the game is worth completing or perceived to be good value.
  • A massive number of digital distribution sales are attributed to people who have pirated games in the past and legitimately want to buy copies of these games at a discounted price.
  • Anti piracy laws and actions taken by ISPs will be almostly completely uneffective at trying to stop piracy, users smart enough to pirate already know the tools they need to circumvent blocking and tracking by ISPs. Threats do little dissuade people, it causes the majorety to simply look for better ways not to get caught.

**Mod Edit** No problem with the survey or the thread, but remember guys, we do not allow the discussion of illegal activities. Talking about piracy's effect on the industry is 100% OK, but admitting to being an active or former pirate is not allowed. We don't ask, so please don't tell. Believe it or not I don't actually like having to get on members cases about rule violations. ;) -Oldie

Last edited:
Ugh the share results link needs a pro account, what I'll do is screenshot the results periodically as more people fill the survey in and post the screenshot. Currently at 10 responses, need a few more for a good average.

Completed. Ya I'd love to see the responses. Put this up on reddit's gaming section or something. I would love to see a large sample size.

I don't have a Reddit account, feel free to repost anywhere on the web though just credit this thread as the original source.

Took it, though I dont think a [H] survey would be representative of the overall gaming community.

Last edited:
Took the survey. I pirated nearly a decade ago in my undergrad. I realized the practice is doushey, even with low income, and moved on.

I like the ability to voice what practices we don't like in this survey.

It would be interesting to see some areas more detailed and expanded on for instance -

1) Relationship to current stage of life and financial situation.
2) What degree they will go to pirate, eg -
- effort to circumvent DRM, obtain pirated copy
- less feature/population rich private servers?
- possible missing features
3) whether or not it led to a dropped purchase
4) whether DRM caused a purchase

People who are not bothered by equal international prices must live in the US.

While likely, some places in the world have much cheaper prices than the US. This actually how a lot of those cdkey resellers work.

This actually brings up another point of the grey area of purchasing from unofficial channels.

Yes I had lots more ideas but reached 10 questions and realised there was a cap on the number you could add with a free account, so just picked the 10 best of what I had so far.

I took it in an honest fashion, and judging from the results, it appears everyone else did as well. Also, I think while things such as DRM and such are valid reasons people pirate games, I think it is a minor reason relatively speaking to most other things. For example, piracy isn't exclusive to gaming, it's a software wide epidemic. People don't pirate ebooks because of DRM for example. I believe the reason for piracy across all ranges of software probably share a similar reason.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see some areas more detailed and expanded on for instance -

1) Relationship to current stage of life and financial situation.
2) What degree they will go to pirate, eg -
- effort to circumvent DRM, obtain pirated copy
- less feature/population rich private servers?
- possible missing features
3) whether or not it led to a dropped purchase
4) whether DRM caused a purchase

Agree

8. Would the threat of internet disconnection stop you from pirating?

No, I would carry on as normal. 21.7%

I lol'd

So does owning a game, and then getting a no-cd crack count as a form of pirating? All my games that aren't on Steam that require a disc, I don't use a disc.

So does owning a game, and then getting a no-cd crack count as a form of pirating? All my games that aren't on Steam that require a disc, I don't use a disc.

If you legitimately own a game I see nothing wrong at all with getting a no-cd crack.

good survey and straight to the point and neutral questions. nice work.

The survey just showed me why Ubisoft has such draconian DRM, and why I am now a supporter of it.

Thanks guys.

Good survey, just finished it... though I've never pirated a game in my life.

If it's something I think I'll like, I just buy it, and even though I've been burned many times over the last twenty years, I just never wanted to pirate anything... would rather just take the chance and if it's a bad game and I wasted money on it, oh well, shit happens.

It's just an "honor thing" for me in life. I'd rather take a chance the honest way and, if I get burned by a bad game, well... as I said, shit happens, and you just move on in life.

The survey just showed me why Ubisoft has such draconian DRM, and why I am now a supporter of it.

Thanks guys.

Was this sarcastic?

If not, I can sort of understand your feelings, though their DRM is a bit too over-the-top with the always-on connection. It does make you realize that for all the people complaining that piracy is "not that bad" and companies should "stop complaining", that in truth, it actually is... and though I can understand some stricter DRM schemes if it's really that large of a problem, Ubi's method is still ludicrous in my opinion.

What I want to know is, is the DRM for people who download the games, or the people that upload it and share it? Which one are they trying to prevent? Because whatever it is, it doesn't work. What they need is a game breaking bug like Arkham Asylum. In EVERY game.

I don't bother with pirating PC games, there's no real point in it, if a game isn't worth buying, then it probably isn't worth pirating.

Survey is flawed. Does not address piracy before the internet. :D

I remember trying to copy software using a dual cassette system to make a copy. Didn't work. :mad:

It would be great if this helped some publishers "get a clue", but I doubt that it will. Filled it out myself and I found that the most annoying things I see with games is the Day 1 DLC. I don't really have a problem with DLC as a rule, but Day 1 DLC does not sit well with me at all. DRM comes in a close second, along with bloatware.

I don't really have a problem with DLC as a rule, but Day 1 DLC does not sit well with me at all. DRM comes in a close second, along with bloatware.
This is exactly how I feel, especially about the DLC. Personally, I am not a fan of microtransactions, but I love expansions.

Day-1 DLC is a clear indicator that they stripped content to sell it in pieces, because it was ready when the game released but they're still charging for it.

Glad gorankar saved this one:
w9cyyo.jpg

Back