PC gamers interested in playing on PS3 - have I got the controller for you.

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
I am a PC gamer; I have been for over 20 years when I started copying the code out of gaming magazines to play on my trash-80.

My biggest gripe about consoles was the controller. FPS's can't be properly controlled with my thumb. Maybe your thumb, but not mine.

There were a lot of people playing MW2 here in Iraq on a PS3 LAN - you know, the function that was removed from the PC version. I was missing playing in the LAN parties so I bought a PS3 and joined in. Frustrated with the damn controller, I searched for a bit online and found the "Fragnstein".

Yeah, it is a stupid name. It is a wireless mouse for your right hand and a wireless "nunchuck" style controller for your left. They work off of a wireless USB receiver. The company supports them with firmware updates and the button arrangement can be completely customized with their setup software. Flashing was easy (although the PC driver software was a bit wonky to install).

I have gone from nearly last place in every game to first place in almost every game after two evenings of playing. I am certain that this will improve with more practice and a bit more customization.

I cannot recommend this controller enough. Everywhere I looked they were sold out except for a direct supplier: www.7summitz.com. There are some other good reviews on Amazon.com.

No, I do not work for this company. I just wanted to share my discovery.

i bought the split fish mouse for the PS3. thought it was going to be awsome. But its near impossible to go from fast movement to accurate slow movement. maybe i didn't give it enough time to get used to it. but rather just use default control either mouse / keyboard for pc or the controller for console

Interesting.

My experience with other mouse setups for consoles has been only so so though. I'm thinking of that old adapter for the xbox where you could hook a ps2 mouse and keyboard in. Worked ok but not as good as it could.

I won't say this is 100% as accurate as a gaming mouse on a PC but it is the next best thing. It certainly blows away the standard controller.

I am still getting used to it as well so I expect my experience to improve as I learn to adapt the settings on it and I continue to practice.

i'm a practical guy so i ordered an ati 4770 for $62 so that i can continue to play fps with mouse & keyboard. however, i am hoping that in the next 5-10 years we see a hand motion based controller interface like natal or arc. this year that won't happen for fps but 5-10 years later...it's inevitable we find something even better than mouse & keyboad.

if you are a former pc gamer and serious about wanting to use a mouse and keyboard combo with a ps3 or 360 the X.I.M is the bar none best option to go with. Everything else pales in comparison imho.

I won't say this is 100% as accurate as a gaming mouse on a PC but it is the next best thing. It certainly blows away the standard controller.

I am still getting used to it as well so I expect my experience to improve as I learn to adapt the settings on it and I continue to practice.

+1

You wouldn't think so, but the size of the TV makes a big difference in reaction time (mine at least). I used the Frag FX and it worked decent but I'm still a lot better on PC.

so has anyone bought this thing and tried it out?

if by this thing you mean the fragenstien then the op and Shadowspawn have both appeared to have bought and used it. I still prefer the x.i.m myself as it is second to none and all other mouse and keyboard options for ps3 and 360 are lacking far behind it imho. www.xim360.com

The "Splitfish" controller has been around for a long time now and has always gotten good reviews, but I've never bought one.

http://www.splitfish.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/splitfish-dual-sfx-frag-pro-pairs-button-enriched-mouse-with-fr/

eng13082009119657_560.jpg

This controller is the only one i haven't seen bad reviews about, the Frag FX has been on sale a lot and i always see people crappin on it and having problems.

I would buy this and give it a go but i don't feel like spending almost 90 bux on a controller right now lol.

I would only use a XIM if i could get a kit to make it myself, no way i'd pay the ridiculous prices for a premade one.

This controller is the only one i haven't seen bad reviews about, the Frag FX has been on sale a lot and i always see people crappin on it and having problems.

I would buy this and give it a go but i don't feel like spending almost 90 bux on a controller right now lol.

I would only use a XIM if i could get a kit to make it myself, no way i'd pay the ridiculous prices for a premade one.

you can put together a x.i.m for about 40$ thats for the toolstick and usb cords. Making one is incredibly easy if you know how to solder.

so has anyone bought this thing and tried it out?

if by this thing you mean the fragenstien then the op and Shadowspawn have both appeared to have bought and used it. I still prefer the x.i.m myself as it is second to none and all other mouse and keyboard options for ps3 and 360 are lacking far behind it imho. www.xim360.com

The OP and Shadowspawn are the same person. :)

I chose this over the FragFX because of the reviews. There were too many complaints about the FragFX. Threre were some initial complaints about the Fragnstein as well but they were addressed in a firmware update.

I am really happy with it. I still prefer the PC but this will do to stomp on some console gamers.

I did a lot of searching but never saw the XIM. I'll check it out.

however, i am hoping that in the next 5-10 years we see a hand motion based controller interface like natal or arc

Ever watched "Gamer"? I'm not sure i can play an FPS like that.

PS: Awesome monitor tho.

Nice. Thanks for putting this up. I am a PC gamer and I finally took the plunge and bought a PS3. Well, it is a glorified blu-ray player because I cannot get used to the controller. I will give this a good look.

I saw this controller not to long ago and was debating on picking one up. Here is a video review, it looks like it'd help the PC crowd on consoles (myself included):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrcdWfQH4Gk

I can't stand controllers for FPS games on consoles, but this looks like it'd alleviate that. Price is a bit high though ($80).

if you are a former pc gamer and serious about wanting to use a mouse and keyboard combo with a ps3 or 360 the X.I.M is the bar none best option to go with. Everything else pales in comparison imho.

Isnt the XIM360 for the 360 only?

I saw this controller not to long ago and was debating on picking one up. Here is a video review, it looks like it'd help the PC crowd on consoles (myself included):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrcdWfQH4Gk

I can't stand controllers for FPS games on consoles, but this looks like it'd alleviate that. Price is a bit high though ($80).

Almost all the comments are negative on there!!

srockafe (1 week ago)

I hoped this would make the ACOG scope killer on an M16 or Sniper, but it actually made it worse, small lag/jerkiness when moving diagonally was horrid.

srockafe (1 week ago)

I implore those of you who are considering this to not waste their money. Great idea and for hardcore PC gamers, mb this will work. I'm doubtful.

MikeyAgent (1 week ago)

my fragnstein is laggy even after I updated it with the firmware. I tried to post asking for help on Banco site but they keep deleting my posts. I want my money back now bc the fragnstein is unplayable. banco's fns is a TOTAL RIPP OFF!

that video makes it look pretty weak imho. He has to make huge swipes with his hand to move the crosshairs small amounts on the screen. He either doesnt have ingame sensitivity maxed out or it just has low dpi on the mouse. Also got a good lol when he said you use the mouse wheel to look up and down with. /facepalm

know I keep saying it but the x.i.m wins for its ability to let the user use any mouse they want to. I rock a sidewinder x5 and logitech g13 combo currently and couldnt be happier. Some people dont like the aspect of having to run a pc alongside it but a moderately powered laptop or even a weak one with usb 2.0 ports is more than enough to run the x.i.m software on. I have my ps3 and pc tower right next to each other so its pretty straightforward setup from there and easily gives the closest to pc feel of any available keyboard and mouse options regarding console play. Of course if money is tight and you dont have your ps3 located near your pc I can see people falling back on fragfx, splitfish and fragenstein products but all flavors of those said products really do pale in comparison with a properly configured x.i.m at least imo.

My understanding is that nearly all of these 'types' of mouse/ks-like devices do not account for the slow response time attributed and written into every game. Meaning you can play with a mouse, but your movement speed is equal to that of a controller X,Y pivoting. In the end, giving little to no real benefit.

I'm sure there are a few people who getting some better results, but if there ever was a smoking gun I think the entire industry would be aware of it and nobody would be using a controller any longer.

I'll continually remain skeptical until kb/mouse support is supported by the console out of the box. Next gen?

the benefit of the keyboard mouse combo (least with regards to a xim) is that you can turn your x - y sensitivity in game up to 100% and then dial it in with the software from there. Most console shooter games with the x, y set to maximum are unusable for the most part when using a traditional controller. I know I am able to twitch people easily enough with this setup and its far more like playing a game on pc than it is on a console. Some games the only real difference I can notice is in the resolution Im playing at being lower on console then when I play on my pc.

you can also set primary and secondary sensitivity with the software and have it so your right mouse button can bring up your scope (as opposed to firing from the hip) and also act as a modifier so you can have a lower or higher sensitivity compared to firing unscoped.

you can put together a x.i.m for about 40$ thats for the toolstick and usb cords. Making one is incredibly easy if you know how to solder.

That sounds good to me, and yeah i am a pro at soldering, my job in my teens was chipping playstations and all that jazz, so i would love to see a guide or where to get the kit if you have any links, thanks :)

theres a pretty informative link here http://xim360.com/community/index.php?topic=1796.0 and there are links to OBsIV's original blog about it.

you can get the toolstick at www.digikey.com part number is 336-1348-ND think its liksted for like 28$ there and then whatever they add on for shipping. You will also need a ps2 to ps3 adapter ( I suggets the yobo but others are capable of 62 updates per second as well) and then an old ps2 controller to get a cable from. total cost of everything should be under 60$ or so.

Eh, I still like the atmosphere of my man cave when gaming compared to my living room with the big screen. Interesting device but I'm not will to shell out the dough for it. Plus there are shit loads of PC games out and on their way. I don't need COD MW2. Its not the end all of games as the market makes it out to be.

On another note you said LAN gaming is possible on the PS3 but not on the PC?!!!! NOW Im royally pissed at IW. Traitorous twitts!

Almost all the comments are negative on there!!

srockafe (1 week ago)

I hoped this would make the ACOG scope killer on an M16 or Sniper, but it actually made it worse, small lag/jerkiness when moving diagonally was horrid.

srockafe (1 week ago)

I implore those of you who are considering this to not waste their money. Great idea and for hardcore PC gamers, mb this will work. I'm doubtful.

MikeyAgent (1 week ago)

my fragnstein is laggy even after I updated it with the firmware. I tried to post asking for help on Banco site but they keep deleting my posts. I want my money back now bc the fragnstein is unplayable. banco's fns is a TOTAL RIPP OFF!

Since those were posted...

theogster (2 days ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam
Reply Hi, just wanna say the fragnstein is very good, i have a FragFx V2 & just got a fragnstein last week, both are excellent, but the wireless makes it for me, not had any lag or issues with "smoothness" etc, both are equally good to use, the mouse on the Fragnstein is quite a lot better than the FragFx, tho, i do prefere the sensitivity dial on the Splitfish over the "functionbutton/then/mousescro ll" on the fragnstein. but tbh, it's not an issue in use..

Pneumatic123 (3 weeks ago) Show Hide +1 Marked as spam
Reply It seems that the only people who really hate the Fragnstein are people like "MikeyAgent" who set up accounts specifically to rip it. If you watch the various video reviews you will see that the only one that really rips the FnS is posted by someone that WORKS FOR FRAGFX. The more I read the more I think the FragFX people are crooks.

I bought the FnS right after I read the reviews at Amazon (for both FnS and FragFX). Fragnstein rated better by real people, not just the reps from the company.

Benaliaf (3 weeks ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam
Reply thank u dude, now im sure about buying this controller :)

booyabamboo (3 weeks ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam
Reply i got v2 and stein and the v2 is crap compared to the stein i have no lag issue whatsoever but my dongle is abour 10 inch away from the mouse

They're not all negative, and from what I have seen it seems there's a small group of FragFX fanboys that post retarded comments and "reviews" to try making the Fragnstein look bad. Also, the "More info" says that review is with the old firmware. I've seen unbiased demos and reviews with newish games, and it looks awesome, truth be told the FragFX doesn't seem too bad either in some reveiws.

Sorry to revive an aging thread, but I am looking into one of these, and anymore input from actual owners would be awesome. I REALLY hate console controllers, being a kb/m gamer they just feel too awkward, but I'd like some more reviews before dumping $80 on a mouse.

Back