PC Gamer going Console: 360 or Wii?

BoyBlunder

[H]ard|Gawd
ok, I need to make a decision. I'm losing interest in WoW, and I really want to start playing consoles. the Wii is right around the corner, and the 360 has been around for a year. I don't know if I should wait for the Wii, or go buy a Xbox 360 right now. does it basically come down to the games I enjoy playing? I really like the past/current lineup of games for the 360 (Dead Rising, GoW, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, CoD3, etc) and I don't really know what to expect out of Wii games. I mean, nintendo's always been kind of childish when it came to shit (Yoshi's Story for N64, anyone?), so I don't really know what to do.

I need advice. quick.

Well, many of the 360's games are available on the pc so... I'd go with a wii.

I'm sick of playing on a PC though...sick of having to upgrade shit all the time, etc so that things will look halfway decent...

and ps3 has what launch titles... I'd deffinately pick a wii + 360 over a ps3, at least until it gets some halfway decent titles/exclusives.

And, the ps3 and 360 have already been more than surpassed compared to pc's. Your argument that you constantly need to upgade is a bit flawed because you only really need to upgrade only 3 years or so, and that's if you want to keep the highest details.

The only games I like on 360 are going to be launch titles on the PS3... so heh...

Basing something on launch titles is pretty stupid... the PS2 launch titles sucked... taking your advice you would have got the Dreamcast... that woulda been greeeeeaaaat...

VoodooChi|d said:
The only games I like on 360 are going to be launch titles on the PS3... so heh...

Basing something on launch titles is pretty stupid... the PS2 launch titles sucked... taking your advice you would have got the Dreamcast... that woulda been greeeeeaaaat...

the dreamcast was actually a decent console. Taking my advice you would have got a ps2 for much cheaper. Anyways, like you said most of the launch titles are cross platform... so save $200 and get a 360 unless for some reason you need the god forsaken format sony calls bluray.

Btw according to you you pay $600 for a system with a shitastic line up.... why not just wait for a price drop when there are actually decent games out :confused:

You make no sense.

converted pc gamer here, loving my 360. Gears of war has been so damn fun.

Got my 360 last November, getting my Wii in two weeks. I can personally say that right now, the 360 has the most diverse lineup of games, which I suppose shouldn't be that suprising considering it has been out a year longer.

I am also a PC gamer converted to the xbox360. GREAT SYSTEM! The Wii looks fun, but lacks the graphics us PC gamers are accustom too. I would like to try out the new zelda though. The xbox360 is almost worth getting for Gears of War alone.

Guys, I'm just going to go ahead and say it, ok?

I'm going to tell you the truth.

If you want fun, adult, violent, action, oriented games get the 360 - splinter cell, gears of war, forza 2.

If you want kiddie games and want to play mario basketball, mario soccer, mario tennis, mario ETC. or zelda games get the wii. Nintendo makes 95% of their games for kids if those kind of games please you get the wii.

Hulk said:
Guys, I'm just going to go ahead and say it, ok?

I'm going to tell you the truth.

If you want fun, adult, violent, action, oriented games get the 360 - splinter cell, gears of war, forza 2.

If you want kiddie games and want to play mario basketball, mario soccer, mario tennis, mario ETC. or zelda games get the wii. Nintendo makes 95% of their games for kids if those kind of games please you get the wii.

this pretty much sums up what I was thinking :cool:

I've got a pre-order for the Wii and I can't wait personally. Nintendo's game titles feel much more polished than anything MSFT has done so far, and while the PS3 is a great technological achievement, it's initial line-up screams "FLOP!" to me... I can't wait for the first FF game on PS3 though, I can't imagine what Square-Enix will be able to do with the PS3's power.

if you are an adult gamer looking to play adult titles i'd go with the 360... i'm loving mine still might pick up a wii but if i could only have one i don't think it would be the wii.

BoyBlunder said:
ok, I need to make a decision. I'm losing interest in WoW, and I really want to start playing consoles. the Wii is right around the corner, and the 360 has been around for a year. I don't know if I should wait for the Wii, or go buy a Xbox 360 right now. does it basically come down to the games I enjoy playing? I really like the past/current lineup of games for the 360 (Dead Rising, GoW, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, CoD3, etc) and I don't really know what to expect out of Wii games. I mean, nintendo's always been kind of childish when it came to shit (Yoshi's Story for N64, anyone?), so I don't really know what to do.

I need advice. quick.

At least you've got the question properly narrowed down, as for the foreseeable future Playstation 3 is a *disaster*.

I'd have said Wii without a second thought yesterday, but I spent all night playing Gears of War in co-op with a friend, and I would be hard pressed to direct you to a more awesome gaming experience any time soon.

Gears of War is 110% what the hype hailed it as. It shits on everything else out there, including the *entire* PS3 lineup and everything 360 that's come before it. You've seen those trailers that look pre-rendered? Those are what the game *actually* looks like, all the way through, every area, every character, every monster.

If you *must* get a system right now, get a 360 and Gears, and pick up the Wii later or put it on your Xmas list in the hopes someone else will get it for you :)

I feel sick saying that. Get a warranty on 360, the support process eats raw balls.

Also, don't listen to the twits claiming Wii is 95% kids games, that's total bullshit. A good chunk of the lineup is mature, adult oriented titles, and that will only become more and more true as the year drags out. You'll also find exclusives on Wii that PS3 and 360 simply are *incapable* of doing. Meanwhile PS3 and 360 are horsepower *equals*, differentiated primarily by price point and a tiny handful of exclusives (that's dwindling on the Sony side every day, just about).

I would suggest a Xbox 360. Just because it has proven games and some great ones at that. Gears of War has held up to its hype. I juts played some co-op with a fellow [H]ard member and it was so awsome. Also Multiplayer kicks some serious ass too.

I would pick up a 360 just for GoW

360 and PS3 appeal to me more then a Wii, but out of the 3 I'de pick up a 360 because it probably will be easier to find too.

I own an Xbox 360, getting a Wii at launch, and a PS3 eventually. For someone like yourself, I recommend the Xbox 360. You'll get great graphics, great games, and online console gaming that can't be beat.

Of course, I also recommend looking into the Wii as well if you can afford multiple consoles.

DragonMasterAlex said:
At least you've got the question properly narrowed down, as for the foreseeable future Playstation 3 is a *disaster*.

I'd have said Wii without a second thought yesterday, but I spent all night playing Gears of War in co-op with a friend, and I would be hard pressed to direct you to a more awesome gaming experience any time soon.

Gears of War is 110% what the hype hailed it as. It shits on everything else out there, including the *entire* PS3 lineup and everything 360 that's come before it. You've seen those trailers that look pre-rendered? Those are what the game *actually* looks like, all the way through, every area, every character, every monster.

If you *must* get a system right now, get a 360 and Gears, and pick up the Wii later or put it on your Xmas list in the hopes someone else will get it for you :)

I feel sick saying that. Get a warranty on 360, the support process eats raw balls.

Also, don't listen to the twits claiming Wii is 95% kids games, that's total bullshit. A good chunk of the lineup is mature, adult oriented titles, and that will only become more and more true as the year drags out. You'll also find exclusives on Wii that PS3 and 360 simply are *incapable* of doing. Meanwhile PS3 and 360 are horsepower *equals*, differentiated primarily by price point and a tiny handful of exclusives (that's dwindling on the Sony side every day, just about).

Qft. The people that call kiddy are for the most part morons and lanky teenagers, NOT GONNA LIE.

I'm a pc gamer, and I'm going to buy a wii, and maby a 360, the exclusive titles make it pretty tempting, but since I'm not rolling in the money right now I'll wait till the premium 360 is at 300$ or lower, the wii however I plan to buy before 07, legend of zelda is probably going to be my first wii title followed by mario, super smash bros, metroid, red steel and games that I'm hoping will make a comeback, mainly starfox and f-zero, I'm just hoping if they make another starfox game they stick to arial combat, hopefully in the branching style of the n64 one. (and if thiers no starfox game I'm hoping for some simular air combat game)

sabrewolf732 said:
the dreamcast was actually a decent console. Taking my advice you would have got a ps2 for much cheaper. Anyways, like you said most of the launch titles are cross platform... so save $200 and get a 360 unless for some reason you need the god forsaken format sony calls bluray.

Btw according to you you pay $600 for a system with a shitastic line up.... why not just wait for a price drop when there are actually decent games out :confused:

You make no sense.
It might have been a decent console but it failed horribly... so good luck with that one.

I do agree that he should wait. With the 360, PS3, and Wii, none of them are worth their price right now.

He would only save $100 if he got the comparable PS3 and 360. The Premium 360 and basic PS3 are more or less equals so there is only $100 dollar difference and he gets Blu-Ray, which will win the format war although I'm not going to get into why. I have done that in numerous other posts you can search if you are so inclined.

I didn't say he should buy any of them right now. He should wait till they all drop in price and have a chance to get a decent library of games.

You can't really go wrong with either of them but I'd say probably a 360 first and then maybe a Nintendo later. :D

Like I said before - get the system that has the GAMES that you want to play. :)

I'm not going to lie to you - 360 has saints row and is going to have the GTA and the next Forza games. A previous poster mentioned that Nintendo does not make "kiddie" games - but do you honestly think that wii is going to have a killer racing game like forza or huge open environments like GTA?! Mario ping-pong FTW! ;) ;)

Hulk said:
Like I said before - get the system that has the GAMES that you want to play. :)

I'm not going to lie to you - 360 has saints row and is going to have the GTA and the next Forza games. A previous poster mentioned that Nintendo does not make "kiddie" games - but do you honestly think that wii is going to have a killer racing game like forza or huge open environments like GTA?! Mario ping-pong FTW! ;) ;)

And why wouldnt the wii want to have high quality games like forza or huge open environments like GTA? You make it sound like the wii wouldnt want them. Am i the only person here who wants to use the wii remote to beat up a virtual hooker with a baseball bat?

Anyways,im a hardcore pc gamer, but ill be picking up a 360, for reasons previously mentioned.

It depends. Are you sick of PC games or are you just sick of having to upgrade all the time? The x360 has a lot of the same games as the PC has. In my opinion not having a mouse and keyboard makes a lot of these games harder or less fun to play, and my PC can push better graphics at higher resolutions the 360 could ever dream of. However, if you are sick of the types of games available on the PC you would definetely want the Wii over the 360 because it will be a totally different experience.

sabrewolf732 said:
Well, many of the 360's games are available on the pc so... I'd go with a wii.

QFT.

PC for graphics, Wii for everything else.

Hey, anyone crapping on the dreamcast gets insta-banned!!! :D

Seriously though, the dreamcast is a fantastic system if you're into more arcade-style games. To quote the munchkin blender: "You'll take away my toy when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

As for the op, don't think about the hardware, think about the software. Unlike a PC, which is good for so many things, a console is only as good as the games for it. What sort of games are you looking for? What do you want to play? Those should be the guiding questions.

360 hands down.

Graphics, multimedia, online play, overall package goes to the 360 hands down. The Wii is an overclocked Gamecube with a new controller and lackluster online capabilities.

I plan on buying a Wii and already own a 360, but seriously from another ex PC gamer turned console gamer ...

360 all the way!

Really theres no reason to even consider a PS3 right now IMO. 360 + Wii FTW.

tskiller said:
And why wouldnt the wii want to have high quality games like forza or huge open environments like GTA?

Someone wanna get this guy a copy of T.P?

tskiller said:
. Am i the only person here who wants to use the wii remote to beat up a virtual hooker with a baseball bat?

That would be awesome lol but I dont think that WIIL happen.

Xbox 360. Largest library, some excellent games, and nice PC connectivity features. I don't see why having PC ports makes the 360 worse - if anything, it'd ease his transition.

The PS3 and Wii are both strong contenders, but since neither is out and proven, it's a little hard to recommend them.

Slartibartfast said:
Hey, anyone crapping on the dreamcast gets insta-banned!!! :D

Seriously though, the dreamcast is a fantastic system if you're into more arcade-style games. To quote the munchkin blender: "You'll take away my toy when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

As for the op, don't think about the hardware, think about the software. Unlike a PC, which is good for so many things, a console is only as good as the games for it. What sort of games are you looking for? What do you want to play? Those should be the guiding questions.
Hey some of my favorite games were on the dreamcast... doesn't mean it didn't fail any less than it did. :p

BoyBlunder said:

I need advice. quick.

If you have an HDTV and a dolby digital sound system, i'd go the X360 without any hesitation. The Nintendo might not satisfy you if you were used to good graphics at higher resolutions. That's just me though, because I used to be a hardcore PC gamer only to turn into a console gamer last year.

360 for sure. While PC multiplayer communites die off quick with the exception of a few games, the 360s remain strong. I was amazed that there were more people playing Quake4 on 360 last week, than there is on the PC.

get the wii if you like those quirky single player or split screen games. but the 360 is pound for pound the better deal.

theNoid said:
Lol..ignorance.

Of the 4 current choices no two are more similiar than the PC and the 360... they share many of the same games. Instead of being generally negative why don't you explain why you think he is wrong?

i wouldnt even be considering one or the other, they are so different in every way, they aren't even in the same class, 360 and PS3 are, Wii is nothing more than a way to make more money off of the old technology and games with a new controller and an image that looks like it caters to the Ipod generation

i am only considering a Wii for my kids since the kids game library is much better than the 360 or PS3, but for my personal gaming, i went with the 360, and glad i did, i too got tired of PC gaming and traded my PC for the 360 with two wireless controllers and 4 games and the fan stand + $300 cash

best move i have made in a long time

Back