PC Gamer Gets a Prosthetic Arm From Deus Ex

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to the first episode Red Bull's PRISM series, Daniel Melville 3D printed a prosthetic arm modeled after Adam Jensen's bionic limb from the Dues Ex series. Melville was reportedly inspired by Jensen, saying "He had these cool augmented arms and he was a badass, and I thought 'I'd like to be like that.' Finding a character in a game that really related to me just felt amazing." Meville is seemingly able to use a mouse effectively with his prosthetic arm, and claims he's a huge Overwatch fan, though he admits it'll be a "couple of years" before disabled esports players can compete with able-bodied ones. Thanks to VentureBeat for spotting the clip.

Check out the arm in the video here.

And this arm allows Melville to master his skills in his favourite pastime: gaming. But how does it work? "I use pulses in my arm to open and close it. If I tense my muscle it'll change the grip pattern to certain modes. It’s quite nice and simple, really, but also effective. When I game on my computer, especially wearing this arm, I need something that won’t slow me down. Something that’ll speed up and make my gaming experience nice and fluid." Outside of gaming, Melville now designs his own bionic arms, knowing that there was so much more he could do.

News like these make me feel so happy. I can't believe how far Prosthetics have come in just a few years. I can't wait until we can attach prosthetics into our nervous system and have fully functional synthetic arms, possibly better than organic ones in some cases.

i like this story.

as for a couple years after that where people are replacing limbs to become better. i think we are well off of that future from where we currently stand.

This "pro-diversity" "relating-to" argument is so annoying and stupid! As a young white guy, I can relate to a black man, or to an old white dude or a young woman or an elf or a dwarf. It's not the superficial characteristics that make a character relatable to me, it's their psychological makeup, their thoughts, their emotions, their sorrows and joys. Can we please stop with this SJW diversity ideology and replace it with real diversity of character, diversity of opinions and emotions?

As for the arm, I'm happy for the guy and I hope cybernetic technology continues so soon we can all merge together with machines and become superhuman.

Never heard anyone speak the game name before.....is it really DAYUS-X? I've always thought it in my head as Deuce-E.X.

Penis Replacement.jpg

News like these make me feel so happy. I can't believe how far Prosthetics have come in just a few years. I can't wait until we can attach prosthetics into our nervous system and have fully functional synthetic arms, possibly better than organic ones in some cases.
Attaching to the nervous system really is key ... however when humans gain the ability to control machines with our minds as easily as controlling our own limbs its not hard to imagine where that will lead ... and it ain’t good.

Agree with others that until they can tap into nervous system or real brain control these things are just cool looking chunks of plastic. We should have 6 million dollar man stuff by now, dammit!

I wondered how he was playing mouse & keyboard but I didn't see any clicking, just moving, so I assume he's using keyboard for that. The muscle twitch sensors prosthetics use are not fast enough for accurate clicking, much less twitch gaming. But hopefully sometime soon. I like to see the technology moving forward.

I read an article in the airplane magazine earlier this year on this subject. It was an interview with Hugh Herr, who is a developer and advocate for cybernetic enhancement.

Chip Cutter: Is it true that in the future some of this technology may be used even if someone never had an accident? In a TED Talk in April, you showed a human with bionic wings.
Hugh Herr: In the future, each human will have a plethora of bionic interventions that they can apply to themselves to enhance cognition, emotional, sensory and physical experience, and in so doing, sense their own identity. We live in a world today where we have to live with our bodies, we have to live with nature, what we're born with. That's going to end.

Chip Cutter: Is there a bigger lesson you want people to be aware of?
Hugh Herr: People, for good reason, have accepted human limitation as life's reality. It's quite enlightening for people to imagine a world where that's not the case, where we have greater control over our bodies and we can stop talking about disability and start talking about all the fantastic abilities human can have.

Here is a video of Hugh Herr explaining some of the technology. Sounds very DX: HR to me!

Back