PC Gamer - AMD RX 6800 XT runs at almost half the frame rate of Nvidia's RTX 3080 in Vulkan Ray Tracing tests

It surprises me that some still think RT is an nVidia gimmick, when AMD and the new gen consoles have all hop on it.
RT is one of the marketed selling points for the new gen consoles.

Back when programmable shaders were introduced, we didn't immediately get full dynamic lighting and shadows. The hardware performance simply wasn't there.
They had to be used sparingly for certain effects while everything else was still baked in. As the hardware becomes faster, then we started seeing more stuff being done through programmable shaders. Today, you can't make a game without them.

RT has to go through the same process. Of course were are not going to get full real time RT anytime soon. They have to be used for certain effects only, while everything else will still be on raster.
Doesn't make it bad or useless, because that was exactly how programmable shaders were used back then as well.

For me personally, I didn't wait around for programmable shaders to be widely used. Once games started using them, they became a factor in my purchasing decision.
Same goes for RT. In my next upgrade, I'll get the best RT card I can afford and enjoy whatever RT effects we have right now.

That of course assumes we can get to 100% raytraced scenes any time soon, instead of 90+% raster with a tiny sprinkling of RT effects, like we have today.

Not even the 3090 is more than like 10% there from a performance perspective.
Well the unreal PS5 demo looked pretty good and that was using their self-lighting tech. Still, not 100% ray-traced but it still heavily uses it. It might just use Ray Tracing to determine the lighting properties and bounces to alter textures accordingly on load so it isn't ray tracing the whole scene on the fly. But it was very impressive, especially on a console.

Last edited:
Sooo. If I'm getting this right. A ray tracing API, made by Nvidia engineers, and used in no games, isn't optimized for AMD hardware, and has had no AMD driver support yet.

And people are surprised that the performance isn't there day 1.

Mmmk.
No these ones were developed in conjunction with AMD to bring Vulkan Ray Tracing to Xbox, PS5, and AMD hardware. NVidia had their specific extension which was separate. They apparently unified the AMD and NVidia provided tools into a unified one and yes its running a hell of a lot better on NVidia's, probably because they had a solid 2 years to flush it out, AMD's just came in so 2 years from now I would expect them to be on roughly equal footing. The most interesting part for me though is it apparently also works on the NVidia 1650 which has none of the ray tracing components as far as I knew.

Is that in native resolution or with using DLSS?
Results I am getting (Cyberpunk2077)
i7-6850k at 4.0 Ghz (might be holding the GPU back a little)
2080Ti, runs at 2025Mhz when in game, GPU at 70C or so (Had to turn the OC down a little to get the game stable: Memory +700, GPU +100, +0 mv, 110% power target. Fan curve at 40C fans 40%, at 70C fans are 100% (can't hear them), it's a straight line between those points, all 3 fans)
3440x1440p G-Sync display (older ASUS, 100Hz max fps, but good picture quality)
100 FOV
Depth of Field: Off (so it draws everything more clearly instead of fuzzy for more distant stuff. Stuff across the street is fuzzy with this on... turn it off)
Motion Blur: Low, also makes things more clear imo
Under Advanced, everything at the highest possible setting except
Cascaded Shadow Range: Low
Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Low
I set
Screen Space Reflections Quality: Psycho, it defaults to one step lower
Set Raytracing to Psychotic
DLSS: Quality (really helps the performance)
Dynamic FidelityFX CAS: OFF
Static FidelityFX CAS: OFF

I think those last 2 are AMD only settings, so probably do not apply to me.
I get 35 to 50 Fps, feels perfectly smooth. Adaptive frame rate ftw there. Looks great. Don't listen to the haters complaining about $1500 hardware and 30 fps, it plays fine.

Edit: Tried Screen Space Reflections Quality: Ultra, FPS about the same 37+. In the Video settings I set the frame rate cap to 100Hz which matches my screen.

Last edited:
Results I am getting (Cyberpunk2077)
i7-6850k at 4.0 Ghz (might be holding the GPU back a little)
2080Ti, runs at 2025Mhz when in game, GPU at 70C or so (Had to turn the OC down a little to get the game stable: Memory +700, GPU +100, +0 mv, 110% power target. Fan curve at 40C fans 40%, at 70C fans are 100% (can't hear them), it's a straight line between those points, all 3 fans)
3440x1440p G-Sync display (older ASUS, 100Hz max fps, but good picture quality)
100 FOV
Depth of Field: Off (so it draws everything more clearly instead of fuzzy for more distant stuff. Stuff across the street is fuzzy with this on... turn it off)
Motion Blur: Low, also makes things more clear imo
Under Advanced, everything at the highest possible setting except
Cascaded Shadow Range: Low
Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Low
I set
Screen Space Reflections Quality: Psycho, it defaults to one step lower
Set Raytracing to Psychotic
DLSS: Quality (really helps the performance)
Dynamic FidelityFX CAS: OFF
Static FidelityFX CAS: OFF

I think those last 2 are AMD only settings, so probably do not apply to me.
I get 35 to 50 Fps, feels perfectly smooth. Adaptive frame rate ftw there. Looks great. Don't listen to the haters complaining about $1500 hardware and 30 fps, it plays fine.

Edit: Tried Screen Space Reflections Quality: Ultra, FPS about the same 37+. In the Video settings I set the frame rate cap to 100Hz which matches my screen.
CAS is vendor agnostic (as most AMD technologies are.)

Back