pc dvd games costing more, whats the deal?

lagos

Weaksauce
whats up with pc games coming out on cd rom and having a dvd version for 10$ more. i mean, pc games held on to the cdrom format for way too long. most of these games require you to have a 300$ video card but thought you wouldnt have a 40$ dvdrom in your system. now they finally start putting games on dvd but expect us to pay more not to have to play the cd swaping game during installation i think its bullshit... the single dvd costs less to make then the 5 cds the cdrom verion come on, so why should we be paying more?

the dvd versions have "extra" content... they should have three versions, a cd, a dvd, and a dvd with the so called "extra" content

arent there more CDs for the PC CD ROm version?? im not sure, i always get the CD rom one cause its the cheapest

0810 said:
arent there more CDs for the PC CD ROm version?? im not sure, i always get the CD rom one cause its the cheapest

Yeah. Thats what the OP is saying. A DVD can hold as much as 6 cd-roms. 1 DVD is cheaper than 6 cds... so why is the CD rom version cheaper to buy?

which would you rather have? dvd.
people pay a bit more for the dvd version. fairly simple.

Convienience - i hate swapping in and out CD"s one DVD and your done!

the cd route likely could cost more, but could also cost less since the makers have "more" disk's to stamp and print, wich usually results in lower prices when you buy bulk so to say,

Also, game makers know people will pay for the convinience of a single disk - space and use.

So check to see what "extra's" you get on that DVD over the cdrom version.

kevin1211 said:
the dvd versions have "extra" content... they should have three versions, a cd, a dvd, and a dvd with the so called "extra" content

Precisely.

I'll take one copy of Quake 4 on dvd for the cd price. Hold the extra content.

Games should have been released primarily on dvd's years ago. Now they want us to pay extra for something they already should be doing?

Marketing bullshit and corporate greed.

Lith1um said:
Precisely.

I'll take one copy of Quake 4 on dvd for the cd price. Hold the extra content.

Games should have been released primarily on dvd's years ago. Now they want us to pay extra for something they already should be doing?

Marketing bullshit and corporate greed.

Someone pointed this out in a previous thread... Remember how long it took them to go from floppies to CDs? Same principle applies. I still know many people who don't have a DVD player in their house, let alone their puter...

dvdroms are about the same price as when cdrom are main stream, people will probably be buying dvdroms not cdrom when they go for new computers.

what about games that come out on DVD only, they are still like 60 bucks

example, on the day of release Brothers In Arms was 60 bucks, and there is no extra content. To be honest, i regret buying it, it wasn't worth 60 bucks at all.

133 said:
what about games that come out on DVD only, they are still like 60 bucks

example, on the day of release Brothers In Arms was 60 bucks, and there is no extra content. To be honest, i regret buying it, it wasn't worth 60 bucks at all.

That's the chance you or any of us take, buying on the day of release. You spend more and there is the uncertainty. You can't blame anyone but yourself.

it's like people buying ati850xtpe for 1000 bucks when it first came out, you paid to be the first

what i mean is it was still 60 bucks, no extra content no cd rom version available at all

everyone else was saying games were $60 because of extra content and more convienent...well since there is NO CDROM Version at all, its not more convienent...

It's simple.

They want to make more money off you, and you pay a premium of only having one disc. This is a stupid system but it's just the greedy publishers. In Europe, almost everything comes out only on DVD already. Publishers always say: "well, it became aware to us that many gamers don't have DVD readers". I highly doubt American gamers are that backward.

I'll pay extra for DVD versions, im so fucking sick of mutliple CD installs, its 2005 for God sakes.

IceWind said:
I'll pay extra for DVD versions, im so fucking sick of mutliple CD installs, its 2005 for God sakes.

It doesn't really bother me about the multiple cds, however it does get annoying when stores near me do not carry teh DVD versions. Besides, you install a game what, once every time you reformat...how often are you going to use all the other discs? of course you will have to use the play disc, but then again that is just one (you would be using the dvd as well), unless you patch. However removing and installing multiple discs is annoying, when installing a game, but that only takes a small, tiny fraction of the time you could be playing the game. :D

Next gen console games will rise to be 50-60, so you can expect PC games to do the same. These games require more man hours to make, so prices have to rise too.

I started thinking about this issue as I was writing a post in the thread about Valve's updated Steam System Survey:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1028460204#post1028460204
Almost all PC's in the survey had a DVD drive. So there is literally no reason for publishers not to put games on DVD's, they are only going to be cutting off like 10% of the gaming population, and it's time for those people in the 10% to buy DVD-RW drives anyway, since they are so cheap ($50 max).
However, I think it's a bad sign about the whole $10 more thing. Personally, I'm going to pay the $10! However, I fear this is going to lead to a continuation of this DVD special edition version, and we are going to have to keep paying $10 extra if we want a DVD.
The publishers have us by the nads and they know it.

In addition to DVD having a higher cost per disc, they have a higher cost of equipment need to create as well as a higher rate of disc failure. Add to that the cost of returned discs from people who bought the DVD copy when they don't have a DVD drive, I can see DVD games being more expensive to produce.

Cadsworth said:
In addition to DVD having a higher cost per disc, they have a higher cost of equipment need to create as well as a higher rate of disc failure. Add to that the cost of returned discs from people who bought the DVD copy when they don't have a DVD drive, I can see DVD games being more expensive to produce.

Yes they have a higher cost per disk, but we're talking about 5cd+ games. X3 that comes out next week is something like 7-8cd's. That is not cheaper than one DVD,.

Cadsworth said:
I see what you're saying, but:
1. Even though DVD's have higher cost per disc, you get 6 cd's onto one dvd. So, I'd like to know exactly what the cost breakdown is
2. DVD burning equipment HAS to be getting cheaper with time. Just look at what happened to personal DVD burners. I bought a 4x DVD+R burner for like $200 3 years ago. Now high quality 16x DVD+/-R burners are only $40.
3. Do you think commercial DVD burners have a higher rate of failure than CD burners? I don't know about that, so I can't venture an opinion.
4. As established in my post above, 90% of gamers have DVD drives, so there can't be that many instances of errant purchases of DVD copies when they only have CD drives.
5. I don't know where you shop, but if I try to take an opened piece of software back to the store they will pretty much laugh in my face.

The way I see it is that gaming is a hobby, if it get's 'too expensive' I'll find a new one. When they start charging $60 for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread, then I'll start bitching. :D

Back