PC Digital Sales Outpaced Mobile In 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
There must be something seriously wrong with this data. Everyone knows the PC has been in decline for years and that computer gaming is dead. :rolleyes:

“PC-based gaming—consisting of free-to-play MMOs, subscription-based games like World of Warcraft, social games and PC downloadable games—earns over $32 billion annually, well above the $25.1 billion generated by mobile games,” the report states. “Three of the year’s top five digital PC games (Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3) were released in 2015, indicating that PC gamers have made significant progress transitioning to purchasing games digitally.”

I PC's are zombies because they are, you know, dead.

This is no surprise considering the number of sales, humble bundles and other stuff like that. Also, most PC games are now digital downloads only so there is that. Then there is the indie games plus, consoles now do digital downloads and the sales on those are numerous.

This actually makes perfect sense ... all the factors that make for diminishing PC sales (more power than people need, robust lifespan, no system breaking software) also help the increase in gaming ... even with the diminished annual PC sales there are still upwards of 2 billion PCs currently in use ... now many of those systems are able to plays games with low settings or undergo minor upgrades (new video card) to play games at higher settings ... PC games also support the widest array of game types (touch, click, keyboard, controller, etc) whereas mobile is limited to those games that will work with mobile hardware and touch ... this also is in alignment with Steam breaking concurrent user records multiple times last year (a trend likely to continue this year) ... I would expect PC gaming to continue to prosper as we get more variety of hardware options available and more and more games making the full transition to digital

Did I miss where it discussed growth of mobile sales vs PC? As much as I love my PC, the growth rate should favor mobile devices, which is essentially what the click bait death of PC articles are discussing in most cases.

1231131-happilydyingsince1985.png

Mirrors my usage. If I want to game I'm much more likely to fire up Steam, Origin, etc. vs shallow mobile gaming riddled with IAP.

indicating that PC gamers have made significant progress transitioning to purchasing games digitally

yes my transition has been tumultuous, the struggle transitioning from cardboard box games and there ever decreasing size had long been a hurdle preventing me from easing into digital distribution....

Really i think that snippet from the article really shows how disconnected the number crunchers are from reality...

Back