PC Component Repurposing Mod of the Day

If you hit the brakes too hard, you're gonna have a bad time.
LOL, I didn't even try to worry about how it was all secured. But now that I look at it, I see some zip tie for WIRES, but the speakers, are they glued down or something?

This has to be from a Eastern block country. Good lord this thing looks like dogshit.

Did you see the date of the post in the forum... 2007-09-18? WOW almost 8 years ago.

Man, I've done some hack job car stereo's in my time, but this....:rolleyes:

At least he could have tried to attach a couple of the computer speakers to the front dash somehow. What he did is the extreme equivalent of sticking a boombox in the back seat. :cool:

Man, I've done some hack job car stereo's in my time, but this....:rolleyes:

At least he could have tried to attach a couple of the computer speakers to the front dash somehow. What he did is the extreme equivalent of sticking a boombox in the back seat. :cool:

If you read the thread, he mentions putting the center channel speakers in the dash. He says they sound amazing.

And this is how poor and classless people stay poor and classless. By spending money on stupid shit like this.

I'm assuming he did already have most of that gear, but he had to spend money on the ridiculous neon lights and likely some of those other parts necessary to piece it all together in the first place. I appreciate the ingenuity and working with what you got on hand, but in this situation it was simply unnecessary. He could have just as easily sold some of that gear (that Logitech speaker system was over a hundred bucks by itself) and either got older used equipment that was purpose built for this or spent it on something more responsible.

If you read the thread, he mentions putting the center channel speakers in the dash. He says they sound amazing.

lol, yeah I was reading through it again and saw that. As far as sound quality, it's surprising what you can get out of "crap" speakers if you use them right. Usually with "all in one" setups like PC speakers, they throw some speakers together with some junky amplifier. Given the right kind of input and used in conjunction with other components some of those speakers aren't bad at all. I used some old Radio Shack tweeters in my old car (they were cheap), and once they had enough power and were crossed over correctly, they sounded pretty damn good.

I just wouldn't have strapped it all to a board in my backseat...

lol, brings back memories of summer ghetto car mods and experimenting on my friends cars just for the fun of it.

actually if he just mounted the subs in the trunk, and used half those mids/highs it would be decent.
mount two on the dash, two in the back. The speakers in the backseat so close to each other are cancelling each other out.

Do you know how long it took for me to forget that atrocity :(. How did it end up here? That guy was full of bad ideas and yet believed in them all with an aggressive certainty.

Yes I'm from that site. Long time lurker first time poster i think..or its been awhile..

He had a theory about electric superchargers as well. :(

Do you know how long it took for me to forget that atrocity :(. How did it end up here? That guy was full of bad ideas and yet believed in them all with an aggressive certainty.

Yes I'm from that site. Long time lurker first time poster i think..or its been awhile..

He had a theory about electric superchargers as well. :(

That made me laugh. Electric superchargers DO NOT WORK. Flat out provable doesn't work.

Do you know how long it took for me to forget that atrocity :(. How did it end up here? That guy was full of bad ideas and yet believed in them all with an aggressive certainty.(
Everyone believes in their ideas otherwise they wouldn't believe them. Seriously, everyone here on the hardforums is just as stubborn. :D

Heck, I bet it did sound pretty good, even though it looks like crap and is likely dangerous. But that is the trade off he was willing to make, so more power to him.

And this is how poor and classless people stay poor and classless. By spending money on stupid shit like this.

I'm assuming he did already have most of that gear, but he had to spend money on the ridiculous neon lights and likely some of those other parts necessary to piece it all together in the first place. I appreciate the ingenuity and working with what you got on hand, but in this situation it was simply unnecessary. He could have just as easily sold some of that gear (that Logitech speaker system was over a hundred bucks by itself) and either got older used equipment that was purpose built for this or spent it on something more responsible.

Strangely, I read that entire thread yesterday after seeing it on just rolled into the shop, then it pops up on front page..

Best part of the 'sell it for car audio gear' comments, is that later on the guy states that he actually bought at least one of the logitech sets new. Just for this project... I think the fancier one.

:confused:

I'm assuming he did already have most of that gear, but he had to spend money on the ridiculous neon lights and likely some of those other parts necessary to piece it all together in the first place.

yeah with a system like that you would think it was scrounged together :)

sadly it's worse than that:
"All my equipment was brand new"

That took some time and effort. I give him props for being imaginative.

Just hope those speakers in back are screwed down.

I'm more concerned about the people on that forum who seriously try modding/upgrading Cougars and are so proud as to put that shit into their avatar/sigs.
Holy crap what a POS car, how are they not embarrassed everytime they leave the house in that monstrosity?

I'm more concerned about the people on that forum who seriously try modding/upgrading Cougars and are so proud as to put that shit into their avatar/sigs.
Holy crap what a POS car, how are they not embarrassed everytime they leave the house in that monstrosity?

Some of us don't live in a perfect world where we get everything we want.

I used to have a Datsun 310 with completely blown shocks, the hood's hinges (front mounted) were rusted apart so I drilled holes and used rope to make hinges and hold the hood on. I remember driving down the street and people at the bus stop were pointing and laughing at my car -- then it died and I had to pull over and fix it (battery cable came loose). Care to share what awesome car you drive so we can all judge you?

I'm not sure which is better, the OP or some of the responses. Thanks for the afternoon laugh!

Some of us don't live in a perfect world where we get everything we want.

I used to have a Datsun 310 with completely blown shocks, the hood's hinges (front mounted) were rusted apart so I drilled holes and used rope to make hinges and hold the hood on. I remember driving down the street and people at the bus stop were pointing and laughing at my car -- then it died and I had to pull over and fix it (battery cable came loose). Care to share what awesome car you drive so we can all judge you?

I think you misunderstood me, some of those guys have obviously poured thousands of dollars into their cars. But why invest in such a POS to begin with? It's the same with all the Honda/Integra kiddies ..... rusted POS and 5k rims and exhaust systems....

Btw Datsun 310 is a respectable car :D

Back