PC Building Simulator Is a Game about Building a PC

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a serious case of Inception, you can now download a game that lets you build a gaming PC on your gaming PC. This is the perfect title for most of you here, who have absolutely no experience with that sort of thing. Interestingly, there will even be a career mode where you make an attempt to make a living as a custom PC builder.

True to the legacy of classic flight sims or the more modern trucking simulators, PC Building Simulator is relatively realistic when it comes to simulating putting together a gaming PC. Sure, all you're doing is selecting parts from a menu and clicking them into place, but just as flight sims make you flip all the switches and turn all the knobs, PCBS has you screwing in motherboard standoffs and manually connecting MOLEX cables.

wait, I am confused now... I am just speccing out a new build (Ryzen) ... should I play this 1st or should I build my new system then play this

Hopefully they'll add a bit more excitement to the game ala Surgeon Simulator. Have you trying to build a PC in a mini-van racing through the streets, dealing with an old case that's prone to cutting your fingers, etc.

As it stands right now, it reminds me of an animated PC Parts Picker.

but just as flight sims make you flip all the switches and turn all the knobs, PCBS has you screwing in motherboard standoffs and manually connecting MOLEX cables.

All the fun, none of the finger pain (referring to old MOLEX connectors that were a PITA to connect)

Oh the long list of 'simulators'.. Gun Builder Simulator.. forklift driver simulator.. and now this.

Going to mess around with it. I'm going to have my son try it out too.

If you can't get a few cuts or at least scratches it's not good enough.

I hope you can simulate a really shitty case as well, there's nothing like the joy of working on a truly shitty case.

I'm really waiting for the Laundry Day simulator and also the cat box cleaning sim.

So realistic, it's boring.

They didn't connect the drives to the mobo, the fans had no power, and they only exhausted the hot air, they had no intake.
Whoever "built" that in the video is probably a good candidate for the game.

So if you get the simulated build wrong, does the game crash to the desktop with a guru meditation error?

Actually this would be a good idea if you could add real world components to your virtual pc then benchmark them. Imagine how easy would be the hw reviewer's lives?

It should start you off with RLL drives and ISA ports! Then as you get better you move into 286's and Math co processors... adding motherboard cache for cpu's.. Citrix DX performance chips that you mate to your existing processor. Passive cooling then up through to active cooling.. then water cooling... then LN2 then cooking oil full system submersion.

Not to mention the video card journey!

Not sure about the career mode but if this thing has a wide selection of parts, it could be a great tool to see how your setup may look with different components (especially if you're building for someone else), colors, etc. This of course will depend how flexible they can make this and how many parts they make available for it.

I wonder if it can simulate accidentally putting a screwdriver through a motherboard while trying to attach a socket 462 heatsink. Or attaching the power led backwards 95% of the time even though you should know better by now, and having to fix it, and wishing you could see through your own fucking hand. Or looking for the last thumbscrew to close it up but it's no where to be seen but then you find it when you stand on it.

This could be used as a learning tool. So many people are scared looking at the inside of a computer let alone build one. It could help push those timid people.

How does it simulate accidentally ordering the wrong parts? Or dealing with RMAs for DOA parts? What about simulating the week-long wait while they ship you a new PSU mounting bracket because the one that came with your case is bent?

Isnt this how you get your A+ cert?

HAHHA That's exactly what I remember from the A+ test, put these drives in RAID 5.

Tagging onto something said a post back, why don't GPU's have a smaller proc dedicated (like physx almost) to X functions? Seems like you could do that pretty easily. Not a full on 2x GPU but idk like a iGPU with a gig of vram. Texture processor or something.

Damn, I sound really stupid...

Hidden achievement - "Ooh, that tingles: forgot to properly ground yourself and you fried one to all of your parts. Enjoy diagnosing them!".

As long as I get my hourly consulting fee I will be glad to play it.

Someone suggested that this could be used for people looking to build a computer or mod heir current one. They told the developer that they should pursue deal with companies to provide models/dimensions. The goal of this would be for people to be able to "test" the compatibility of the new part physically. This would have helped me personally when building my 300r h100i build finding out the rad/fan combo was to big.

"Yo, dawg...we heard you like to build computers. So we made a program that you can build computers, on the computer you built!"

This might be good for some ppl that just like to build PC's but dont sell or use them.

Simulators are fun.

Af2HK2L.jpg

It should start you off with RLL drives and ISA ports! Then as you get better you move into 286's and Math co processors... adding motherboard cache for cpu's.. Citrix DX performance chips that you mate to your existing processor. Passive cooling then up through to active cooling.. then water cooling... then LN2 then cooking oil full system submersion.

Not to mention the video card journey!
Start just a little earlier - PCs, XTs, and ATs, where you had to plug in the rows of 16KB chips. And JUMPERS! Gots to have jumpers! The more the better! And those beige cases that had the front panel "turbo" displays that you had to set with - you guessed it - more jumpers! Boy, those were the days!

Back