PC Boots only when I remove and reinsert a stick of ram

cardboardbox

Weaksauce
This is the strangest issue I think I've ever encountered. I recently moved my old pc into my dad's case because I upgraded. It worked for 2 months but now there's no video output, seems its not booting, but cant be 100% sure. I tried so many different things and accidentally discovered that every time I remove a stick of ram and reinsert it, the system will boot, but just one time. When I restart, same no video issue. Move a stick of ram, boot again. :|

Any idea? Does this sound like a short on the motherboard?

Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Intel i7-4790k
16gb ddr3 1866

Could be an issue with the socket too, maybe the cooler is on too tight, the board could be slightly warped as a result.

Also did you try using different slots for the RAM?

I would guess either a short or a socket problem. You can test a short by taking it out of the case and booting it on a cardboard box or something to see if you get the same issue.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
system going into an unsupported suspend mode? Pulling the ram would wipe the suspend state. Unlikely, but that's the only thing that comes to mind with pulling ram to save it.

Could be an issue with the socket too, maybe the cooler is on too tight, the board could be slightly warped as a result.

Also did you try using different slots for the RAM?
I swapped out the HSF, back to stock Intel, that was actually the first thing I tried when I discovered the issue.

Every time I take the stick of ram out, I move it to a different slot. I tried a few variations of this last night:

1. I tried putting it back in the same slot, got it to boot again, one time.
2. Rather than take a stick out and move it, I left it there and added another stick. Boots again, one time.
3. Tried pushing down on the ram that was already in the slot to see if it would boot. I did this instead of moving the ram to a different slot. No boot.

system going into an unsupported suspend mode? Pulling the ram would wipe the suspend state. Unlikely, but that's the only thing that comes to mind with pulling ram to save it.
How would it get there? I dont any drives plugged in so every time I get the system to boot, it goes to the bios screen and tells me there's no boot drive. Then I turn off the system with the power button.

That's on my list of things to try today, or maybe try a different case.

When you're powering it off, are you holding the power button for 4-8 seconds to force shutdown, or just a quick push.
If just a quick push, is the power button set up to put the system in standby instead of instant-off.

Does this still happen if you clear the BIOS settings (either by reset CMOS jumper, load default BIOS settings, or removing the battery for 30 minutes)?

What if you unplug the PSU, discharge the stored charge (push the power button while unplugged), then plug it back it?

Need to try min component boot. KB only, 1 stick of memory, iGPU (onboard) w/ no PCI slots populated. See if behavior changes any. Also make sure bios is updated to latest.

replace the cmos battery and do a good bios clear and setup again.
edit: roommate has the same board and chip and it acted just like that until i replaced the battery.

When you're powering it off, are you holding the power button for 4-8 seconds to force shutdown, or just a quick push.
If just a quick push, is the power button set up to put the system in standby instead of instant-off.
I hold the button for around 4-5 seconds.

Does this still happen if you clear the BIOS settings (either by reset CMOS jumper, load default BIOS settings, or removing the battery for 30 minutes)?
Clearing CMOS doesnt make a difference. I've tried both methods you listed. And I've done it a lot because I keep thinking that must be part of the problem.

What if you unplug the PSU, discharge the stored charge (push the power button while unplugged), then plug it back it?
Tried that a little while ago, no difference.

thanks for the ideas

replace the cmos battery and do a good bios clear and setup again.
edit: roommate has the same board and chip and it acted just like that until i replaced the battery.
tried that, although I'm not 100% sure the "new" battery has enough power, but it was powering another device just fine.

So what I've tried this morning is I took the motherboard out of the case and I'm using a different power supply and I still have the same issue. I tried something a little bit different, when it wouldn't boot I unplugged the power cable and moved a stick of ram to a different slot because I thought how could the motherboard know what I'm doing if it has no power. Boots fine. Turn off, turn on... no boot. Sigh.

tried that, although I'm not 100% sure the "new" battery has enough power, but it was powering another device just fine.
go to the dollar store, theyre still open, and get a 2 pack for $1. then take out the old battery, disconnect the power cable, hit the power button a couple times and let it sit for a few minute. then put in a new battery, reconnect the power cord and fire it up.

go to the dollar store, theyre still open, and get a 2 pack for $1. then take out the old battery, disconnect the power cable, hit the power button a couple times and let it sit for a few minute. then put in a new battery, reconnect the power cord and fire it up.
I ordered some batteries for delivery Saturday. Will report back.

This is the strangest issue I think I've ever encountered. I recently moved my old pc into my dad's case because I upgraded. It worked for 2 months but now there's no video output, seems its not booting, but cant be 100% sure. I tried so many different things and accidentally discovered that every time I remove a stick of ram and reinsert it, the system will boot, but just one time. When I restart, same no video issue. Move a stick of ram, boot again. :|

Any idea? Does this sound like a short on the motherboard?

Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Intel i7-4790k
16gb ddr3 1866
Does it do this if you use totally different memory? Is it always the same module that you have to remove and reinsert to get it to work, or is it just, you have to remove *A* memory module from one of the slots, and then it will work again?

What happens if, instead of actually removing and reinserting the memory sticks, you just press on them as if you were reinserting them?

Does it do this if you use totally different memory? Is it always the same module that you have to remove and reinsert to get it to work, or is it just, you have to remove *A* memory module from one of the slots, and then it will work again?

What happens if, instead of actually removing and reinserting the memory sticks, you just press on them as if you were reinserting them?
This whole time I was convinced I didnt have any compatible sticks of ram but I do, and I just started my pc 4 times in a row with the other stick of ram. I can get the exact part number in a bit if its important. Its Corsair Vengenance DDR3 1600 4gb.

Does this mean both of my original sticks of ram failed? First of all I've never had ram fail and second how would they fail both at the same time? How is that possible?

What is the exact DDR3 part # and how many sticks?
PV316G186C0K, 2 sticks.

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820220694

Reactions: Azrak
like this
ok, went back to the Patriot (original) ram and when I got it to boot one time I went into BIOS and changed these settings:

Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) - Profile1
System Memory Multiplier - 16.00 (was Auto)
Memory Boot Mode - Disable Fast Boot
Memory Enhancement Settings - Enhanced Stability

Now it boots normally, 5 times in a row so far.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
Run a ram test like Ultraman stated. If it shows the ram is good. Pull the cmos and unplug the power supply. Then try powering it on to discharge any power stored. Then plug everything back up and test the unit again.

memtest found no errors and I've returned the pc back to my dad, hopefully it works this time. Last time I thought it was fixed it died again a week later. :(

Back