PC Battlefield 3 Lacks Key FPS Feature: No Ingame Server Browser.. Yes I'm serious.

Everyone in this thread is freaking out over a game improvement.

Not me! I was in the Alpha and it worked a charm. The only ones freaking out are the ones who have no idea how it actually works and are believing all the FUD, I'm sure eggs will be square on the faces come release day.

this is going to be a huge game improvement... dice games have always had horrible in game server browsers... at least now they can easily fix/update/improve it since it will be a website instead of in game code.

I love it and I laugh at all the people who don't understand how it will work.. read up on stuff before shitting in your pants next time!

this is going to be a huge game improvement... dice games have always had horrible in game server browsers... at least now they can easily fix/update/improve it since it will be a website instead of in game code.

I love it and I laugh at all the people who don't understand how it will work.. read up on stuff before shitting in your pants next time!

The only problem is all of the alpha users are basing their opinions on how it is right now, with a small fraction of the traffic the site will have once it goes live. What happens if the site gets overwhelmed and you can't load the list of servers? Do you know how many times the BC2 stats page was down from too much traffic? Sorry but I don't have much faith in EA being able to keep everything running smoothly.

Also what happens when Anonymous or some other group of script kiddies decide to attack the site and make it unavailable. At least with an ingame browser you can use non-standard ports and don't have to respond to anyone making a request on the default web ports. I'm just going to sit back and laugh as this all blows up in their/your faces. You guys seriously have way too much faith in EA and their ability to implement....well anything properly.

The only problem is all of the alpha users are basing their opinions on how it is right now, with a small fraction of the traffic the site will have once it goes live. What happens if the site gets overwhelmed and you can't load the list of servers? Do you know how many times the BC2 stats page was down from too much traffic? Sorry but I don't have much faith in EA being able to keep everything running smoothly.

Also what happens when Anonymous or some other group of script kiddies decide to attack the site and make it unavailable. At least with an ingame browser you can use non-standard ports and don't have to respond to anyone making a request on the default web ports. I'm just going to sit back and laugh as this all blows up in their/your faces. You guys seriously have way too much faith in EA and their ability to implement....well anything properly.

how is any of this any different at all to the login server eating shit, which it has, in other BF games?

no, it's pretty much a flat out improvement over what existed before.

No. OVER A CHANGE. Whether it is an improvement is RELATIVE to your point of view.

Stop being so god damned arrogant.

oh okay so you're freaking out over a change. in a videogame. which doesn't change how you play the game.

still dumb

Those hackers took down PSN! All of those in-game sever browsers wasn't safe from that right?
Websites respond faster than in-game servers. See how fast we obtain info from here, Ebay, Amazon etc.?
Hackers hack, that's what they do. Not worried about a bunch of douche bags stealing email addresses and causing me to play other games for a few hours or days.

Let us do what we want with our cash, and the same goes for you. We don't need any warnings for a video game, OK?
At the end of the day, that's what it is, and freaking video game.

oh okay so you're freaking out over a change. in a videogame. which doesn't change how you play the game.

still dumb

picard-facepalm-1.jpg

Cool man got any more ~hilarious~ image macros or are we gonna go back to posting dumb shit about how battlelog has ruined pc gaming forever

edit: are you one of those people that didn't get into the alpha and has no idea how battlelog works yet you're complaining because...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool man got any more ~hilarious~ image macros or are we gonna go back to posting dumb shit about how battlelog has ruined pc gaming forever

edit: are you one of those people that didn't get into the alpha and has no idea how battlelog works yet you're complaining because...?

You clearly DID NOT EVEN READ MY POSTS. Yet you feel able to call my views baseless.

ffs, you ARE hopeless.

Yes, I got in the alpha. I also pointed out that OPINIONS are SUBJECTIVE, NOT objective. Christ some people are dense.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed a few of your posts?

You basically just said you hated battlelog because it may break with new browser versions (you really think EA hasn't thought of this?) and re-launching the game took longer than changing servers in BC2 (nevermind the fact that it's a completely different engine, it was alpha, and already pretty fuckin' fast). But you've already decided to not buy the game!

And all of your posts about things you don't agree with relating to videogames are infused with so much nerd rage to the level that I suggest you take a step back and reevaluate how you react to these kind of situations. Cause, yea:

At the end of the day, that's what it is, a freaking video game.

Sorry I missed a few of your posts?

You basically just said you hated battlelog because it may break with new browser versions (you really think EA hasn't thought of this?) and re-launching the game took longer than changing servers in BC2 (nevermind the fact that it's a completely different engine, it was alpha, and already pretty fuckin' fast). But you've already decided to not buy the game!

And all of your posts about things you don't agree with relating to videogames are infused with so much nerd rage to the level that I suggest you take a step back and reevaluate how you react to these kind of situations. Cause, yea:

You again have failed at reading. I seem to remember saying that the battle log was ONE reason.

You lost all credibility with me when you made an incorrect assumption so you could try to throw an insult at me.

And nerd rage? Huh? The TWO threads where I've been pretty outspoken are here (with people like you) and the Diablo 3 DRM nonsense thread....and I'm sorry, but I won't swallow DRM like that, and I'll fight to get people to do same.

People who are genuinely concerned by this are better off posting on the official EA forums where there is a better chance of DICE taking note rather than arguing with apologists who will never see the other side of the argument. Relevant threads are here:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...replaces-server-browser-main-menu-bf3-pc.html
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1418542-alt-tabbing-server-menu-better.html
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7484854.page

I am told that DICE more regularly frequent the UK forums.

People who are genuinely concerned by this are better off posting on the official EA forums where there is a better chance of DICE taking note rather than arguing with apologists who will never see the other side of the argument. Relevant threads are here:

Ahhhh I get it. So your not allowed an opinion if it doesn't match yours......

Never seeing the other side of the argument? You being serious? Pot calling kettle black anyone?

I don't think I said people were not allowed an opinion, but having an opinion is different from the vitriol spewed by some of the denizens here who prefer to troll rather than discuss. Some people like battlelog? Happy for you. Other people don't, but yet they are derided for their preference.

In any event, the point being that it would be more constructive to post concerns on the EA forums rather than here if people take issue with this decision.

I don't think there will be any change here until - at the earliest - the beta, so that more people have actual experience with the change rather than dismissing it before trying it out.

Going to the DICE forums is a good idea, but I'd suggest holding off until the beta, otherwise your claims won't have the same weight to them without any personal experience with the new browser.

I am waiting to see on this one. Hopefully a solid demo will be released at some point. I don't like the sound of having to mess with Origin just for one game and I also don't like this server browser idea. That said, if it is an awesome game and not all that annoying I will still pick it up.

I have mostly heard good stuff so far. Still not a fan of the idea though.

Those hackers took down PSN! All of those in-game sever browsers wasn't safe from that right?
Websites respond faster than in-game servers. See how fast we obtain info from here, Ebay, Amazon etc.?
Hackers hack, that's what they do. Not worried about a bunch of douche bags stealing email addresses and causing me to play other games for a few hours or days.

Let us do what we want with our cash, and the same goes for you. We don't need any warnings for a video game, OK?
At the end of the day, that's what it is, and freaking video game.

PSN was taken down because sony didn't patch their servers. It was an old attack that should have been prevented.

And sorry, but being a webserver does not make any difference to how fast it responds. Ebay and Amazon have giant data centers with multiple large pipes to the internet. You could make a huge datacenter for game servers, and it would respond just as fast. It all boils down to how the company has their servers set up, and being EA I would guess a POS cluster fuck.

You also misread my post about "hackers" (they are script kiddies, not hackers). Where did I say they would steal your email? If the games uses a web based game browser, it obviously has to be hosted by a web server. A web server has to be connected to the internet and respond to all requests on the default ports. This makes it more susceptible to an attack. By attack I mean an attempt to bring the service offline, not steal your data.

An ingame browser on the other hand, would not have the same problems a web server has. They can make the connection from the game to the ingame browser however they want. The servers wouldn't have to be internet facing and respond to all web requests. They could use another port and only respond to authenticated queries etc. You see where I'm going with this?

By going to web based game browsing, they are opening themselves up to MANY more problems/issues, and I think the users are the ones who are going to suffer. So feel free to spend your money however you want, but be prepared for an "I told you so" when you guys come on the forum when the game browser is down.

In any event, the point being that it would be more constructive to post concerns on the EA forums rather than here if people take issue with this decision.

Agreed, if you really don't like it.....even after understanding what is actually happening then your better off raising it in the official channels. I doubt it will be listened till tho until a more open beta is underway.

That's really reaching. You might as well complain that the datacenter could burn down. Any number of things could happen.

Regardless, a DICE developer already addressed that. The previous servers are just as vulnerable to attack as Battlelog, not any more or less.

I've always hated the server browser in BF games. Doing something different like this surely can't be any worse. And I also heard from people in the alpha that it worked fine.

all this drama surrounding DRM, 100% online connection time, is crap compared to how it used to be.

Remember back when game spy was worth a damn? You had tabs for each game, refreshed a global list picked your game and started playing. This worked across MULTIPLE games from multiple developers. No collaboration needed, no central access point.

Makes me downright sick when you think of how complicated and crappy things have gotten in the past 5 or so years. The companies that are spending millions to develop for the PC platform are the same people choking the life out of the games.

When I buy a pizza from papa johns, I don't have to sign an agreement that I will only eat the pizza while it's warm, and agree to only consume the pizza if they can mail me coupons and special offers, I don't have to take a mandatory survey on what type of crust I enjoy. I give them money and they give me a product I do whatever the hell I want to do with.

I think BF3 will be a good/fun game, but EA is still a bastard company from hell. EA is royally screwing the Forza franchise by refusing to sublicense porsche cars for games.

Everyone makes stupid decisions but when you consistantly make decisions that double harm both your financial bottom line AND consumers happiness - you need to gtfo of the game.

all this drama surrounding DRM, 100% online connection time, is crap compared to how it used to be.

Remember back when game spy was worth a damn? You had tabs for each game, refreshed a global list picked your game and started playing. This worked across MULTIPLE games from multiple developers. No collaboration needed, no central access point.

Makes me downright sick when you think of how complicated and crappy things have gotten in the past 5 or so years. The companies that are spending millions to develop for the PC platform are the same people choking the life out of the games.

When I buy a pizza from papa johns, I don't have to sign an agreement that I will only eat the pizza while it's warm, and agree to only consume the pizza if they can mail me coupons and special offers, I don't have to take a mandatory survey on what type of crust I enjoy. I give them money and they give me a product I do whatever the hell I want to do with.

I think BF3 will be a good/fun game, but EA is still a bastard company from hell. EA is royally screwing the Forza franchise by refusing to sublicense porsche cars for games.

Everyone makes stupid decisions but when you consistantly make decisions that double harm both your financial bottom line AND consumers happiness - you need to gtfo of the game.

I agree with everything you said. They keep fucking the games up/making backwards progress, then try and claim the crappy sales are a sign that PC gaming is dying. It's not dying, we just don't go out and buy the same re-skinned shit they release every 6 months with a new name like the console crowd.

I've always hated the server browser in BF games. Doing something different like this surely can't be any worse. And I also heard from people in the alpha that it worked fine.

yeah it was fine and its nice to not have to alt-tab to do something inbetween rounds too

bc2s browser was OK, BF2 was clunky as hell.

better than having to log into 'the zone ', though I miss those days, and rainbow 6...

i only spent 20 bucks on bad company 2 -- fun game, prepping me nice for BF3

I will agree that the server browser is slow/clunky/and highly inconsistant. Signing in, hitting multiplayer, it doesnt refresh anything off the bat, i go to favorites I have to manually refresh. Seriously?

The absolute worst is the fact I will find a local Dallas server with a ping of 13 and when I actually get into the server the ping goes to 100-120

Didn't play the alpha - highly anticipating the beta. Im cool with battlelog as long as its faster and more efficient than what i'm used to in BC2

FIX THAT SHIT :)

People who are genuinely concerned by this are better off posting on the official EA forums where there is a better chance of DICE taking note rather than arguing with apologists who will never see the other side of the argument.

But here, EA can't delete your posts.

I wonder how EA comes up with these decisions?

Take a feature that has been working for decades and people love, and throw it out the window! What do EA management smoke? its some wild ass shit!

Holy cow, what a bunch of biatches. Half of you all seem like you want them to take BF2 and re-release it. Anything different from BF2 is bad bad bad bad. Wha wha wha, cry more!

How about you go load of BF2 then and enjoy yourselves.

Back