pc backup software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ZippZopp, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ZippZopp

ZippZopp Limp Gawd

I use an external hard drive to back up my important files. I've been using FBackup for quite sometime and it works well by allowing me to choose which folders I want to backup to my external drive. The only feature it is missing is a sync functionality where if I delete a file on my computer it will also delete it from the backup as well. My backup drives fill up quite quick because of a lot of extra files from previous backups that aren't removed.

what other software is out there that will allow me to essentially sync specific folders to my external drive?

2. PTNL

PTNL [H]ardness Supreme

Robocopy and some cloud backup services can do this. A custom Powershell script could also do the same. Even some manual diff'ing utilities, such as Beyond Compare, could handle this.

Edit: If this is a Windows machine, you could remap your My Docs folder to the external drive. Then any changes would be propagated immediately.

3. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

I use FreeFileSync. I run it off my external drive. It compares my backup location to the target drive destination, adds new files and deletes ones I have deleted. You just have to edit the synchronize options to 'mirror', so that it knows it's a one-way sync.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  4. Phog

Phog Limp Gawd

Syncback is one I use with great success.