PC and PS3

boxterduke

Gawd
Hey guys, Just a quick question to people who play video on PCs and PS3s What h.264 format do you use to play the files on both systems.

I backup my DVDs and encode in h.264 AVIs with AC3 and they play fine on my PC but they don't on the PS3.

What I do is use Fairuse wizard to encode the .iso into h.264 AVIs with AC3.

For the movies that I currently have, I will not be going back to encode them but would not mind for future movies to be playable on PCs and PS3s.

So what program and settings (h.264/AC3/AVI/MP4 ...etc) do you guys use. Thanks

The only video I play on my PS3 is blu rays; My HTPC handles everything else. Also, I prefer to use Handbrake for my video encoding needs.

if its a .mkv use mkv2vob to stream it to ps3 using tversity or something

The only video I play on my PS3 is blu rays; My HTPC handles everything else. Also, I prefer to use Handbrake for my video encoding needs.
That is what I use now but after getting the PS3, I thought it would be cool to stream my movies on it as well but the format is unsupported.

I use Fairusewizard 2 (free edition) and the file types although encided h264 are not plyable on the PS3.

I searched the net and found this article http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2518DD508BB713E8!162.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=850832130
so I used it, but it takes a long time to encode the movies and streaming from the PC to the PS3 is choppy. Seeking on the PC choppy as well, I guess windows does't like MP4 all the much, even on VLC.

If I copy the file directly to the PS3 then it plays perfectly.

I just want to see if someone out there is using one format to play movies on a PC as well as stream them on the PS3.

I had questions about this too.

I have been debating between a PS3, standalone Blu-Ray, or a HTPC.

PS3 would be nice since it will play movies, and I can play the limited PS3 games I would want. My biggest question about the PS3 is there a format of file that the PS3 supports and I would be able to rip a Blu-Ray to the PS3 and then play it from the PS3 HDD? I know the size of the HDD will be limited, since it will not use a full size HDD.

Standalone obviously would just be movies

Not totally sure I want to make the full commitment to the HTPC since from everything I have read they can be picky about codecs, and the software is still kind of limited. I like the thought of the HTPC because I can rip my movies to a couple of HDDs and be able to access them like a library. Plus I would be able to play the occasional game on them since most of my games are PC based anyways.

I thought I would throw in what I know. First I have both a PS3 and a HTPC and both do Blueray fairly well with the edge going to the PS3. Why? the PS3 will output 1080p24 which is the native format of movies. The computer will only output at 60 Hz. This is a picky detail that only matters if you have a 120Hz TV like a Samsung A650. Most 120 Hz TVs will take 180p24 and repeat every frame in a process known as 5:5 pulldown. This gives smother motion, but to be honest it is hard to tell the difference.

What is wrong with the PS3 is the wimpy 10 kbps network adapter this is a serious limitation, because you cannot stream HD content (it comes across choppy do to slow bitrate). Regular DVD do just fine.

H.264: I can not tell you how to do it but you can encode H.264 mp4 and play it on the PS3. I know this because I downloaded a DVD image from the internet and it played Transformers in HD to my PS3. This is without a doubt the way to go because blank DVDs are soo cheap. I have been searching, and so far I can not find anything on how to do this.

Some other notes: You can buy and install any notebook HD into a PS3, so you can go BIG as long as it is not a 72k rpm drive. They create too much heat. You can also attach an external HD through USB, but it is more difficult to use.

For me the PS3 is well worth the four hundred bucks, but the slow network connection and lack of codecs drove me to build a HTPC which can play anything I through on it.

I am using LGs Blueray ROM DVD writer combo drive. It is about $150 at Best Buy and it comes with PowerDVD and an application that uses the internet to keep the firmware up to date automatically. It is really very easy to install and use.

My 2 cents

Dave

I thought I would throw in what I know. First I have both a PS3 and a HTPC and both do Blueray fairly well with the edge going to the PS3. Why? the PS3 will output 1080p24 which is the native format of movies. The computer will only output at 60 Hz. This is a picky detail that only matters if you have a 120Hz TV like a Samsung A650. Most 120 Hz TVs will take 180p24 and repeat every frame in a process known as 5:5 pulldown. This gives smother motion, but to be honest it is hard to tell the difference.

I can set my refresh rate to 24Hz.(using 8800GT and Panasonic 42PZ80B TV)
I've never seen a need to though as it plays back Blu Ray very smoothly at 60Hz anyway.

What is wrong with the PS3 is the wimpy 10 kbps network adapter this is a serious limitation, because you cannot stream HD content (it comes across choppy do to slow bitrate). Regular DVD do just fine.

H.264: I can not tell you how to do it but you can encode H.264 mp4 and play it on the PS3. I know this because I downloaded a DVD image from the internet and it played Transformers in HD to my PS3. This is without a doubt the way to go because blank DVDs are soo cheap. I have been searching, and so far I can not find anything on how to do this.

Some other notes: You can buy and install any notebook HD into a PS3, so you can go BIG as long as it is not a 72k rpm drive. They create too much heat. You can also attach an external HD through USB, but it is more difficult to use.

For me the PS3 is well worth the four hundred bucks, but the slow network connection and lack of codecs drove me to build a HTPC which can play anything I through on it.

I am using LGs Blueray ROM DVD writer combo drive. It is about $150 at Best Buy and it comes with PowerDVD and an application that uses the internet to keep the firmware up to date automatically. It is really very easy to install and use.

My 2 cents

Dave

I'm not sure why you think the ps3 network card sucks, mine works fine. I stream 1080p mkv's that i convert to vobs to my ps3 all the time without choppiness on a 100mb network. I'm guessing you have a duplex setting problem or some other issue.

the only way i found to stream MP4 files to my PS3 was to use tversity and it does the trans coding on the fly and works great. but the PS3 will play MP4 files that are place on the PS3 HDD with out issue.

i have no problem streaming from my PC (wireless) dlink extreme N card with a dlink extreme N router and my PS3 wired giggabit connection.

I'm having issues with tversity and my network so that's a no go for me. To play stuff on my PS3, insert USB with AVI files and copy. Other formats, connect m1330 via HDMI. I wish someone would develop a standalone mkv and all format reader for the PS3.

Linux with a media player?

you could also look at usb external drive thats formated in fat transfer your movies music ect to that plug it into the PS3 and play them from there.

what problems are you having with tversity?

So I had some free time over the weekend, I installed TVersity and streamed to the PS3. I can now play any movie in any format directly through the PS3. They stream from my PC to the PS3.
Even movies that are saved as a video_ts folder play as well.

Just wanted to share incase others wanted the option to have their PS3 play videos that are stored on a PC somewhere in the house.

If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 has a gigabit network adapter in it.

I started using a program called RipBot, and it's worked pretty well. My 26gb Hellboy 2 m2ts file went down to 4.8gb after ripping it to .mp4 with 5.1 AAC audio. The setting I used was for PC. But there's also a setting to choose PS3.

Back