PC: 2 player games both on screen at once.

oplin

Gawd
Just wondering if anyone knows of any good 2 player games that you can play with one computer and multiple people, with either keyboards or gamepads. Just set up a htpc and was looking for a few to try out, i heard madden and nhl were good ones.

I think there was a way to play split screen Left 4 Dead, might have to go check on their forums.

lego star wars 1 and 2

and i am pretty sure left 4 dead has a way to do it, i haven't proven that irl tho.

Medieval 2: Total War has a hot seat mode. It's like a more complicated and awesome looking version of Risk. Probably would want to auto-calc all the battles though.

Warlords 3: Darklords Rising
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Heroes of Might and Magic Series
Age of Wonders 2
Tyrian 2k

Sports games

Emulators

I haven't gotten worms to work at all for years...

I like the suggestion, but has anyone gotten it running? Specifically, worms 2.

I think there was a way to play split screen Left 4 Dead, might have to go check on their forums.

Yes.
One on the keyboard&mouse, the other on a gamepad. (you must have a gamepad)
'ss_enable 1' in the console, restart the stage, and viola.

i remember playing the old need for speeds with my brother split screen. I remember we would play high stakes and he would use the wheel and id use the keyboard.

The last game I played this way was Area 51 with my brother about 10 years ago.

Yes.
One on the keyboard&mouse, the other on a gamepad. (you must have a gamepad)
'ss_enable 1' in the console, restart the stage, and viola.

Cool, but what type of server would you have to join to do this? Would any dedicated server work, even if more people join?

The last game I played this way was Area 51 with my brother about 10 years ago.

Cool, but what type of server would you have to join to do this? Would any dedicated server work, even if more people join?

You don't have to joing a server if the 2 of you just want to play the single player campaign. I think somehow both can play online...not sure. Go to here, http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113, and it tells you in detail how to do it. I tried it last night to see if it worked, and it does. It puts player 2 as "unnamed". I didn't have any controllers or anything hooked up so I don't know how it actually plays yet. It might be fun if I hook it to the projector. I can already play with my son over the LAN. I've never understood the point of the "console" thing with Valve games. Why have I got to learn about things you can do from other people online? How do they know about it? "Let's see, if I bring up console and type 'ss_enable_1' and then type this other thing in maybe I can get split screen...HEY, it worked!" LOL, come on. Just like I found out how you can play the game on the LAN with one account; you've got to type all this stuff in. I would never have known just by staring at it.

pretty much worms..... computers are designed for one person, its hard to find games that have been developed with 2player splitscreen options because of the effort involved in developing them

You don't have to joing a server if the 2 of you just want to play the single player campaign. I think somehow both can play online...not sure. Go to here, http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113, and it tells you in detail how to do it. I tried it last night to see if it worked, and it does. It puts player 2 as "unnamed". I didn't have any controllers or anything hooked up so I don't know how it actually plays yet. It might be fun if I hook it to the projector. I can already play with my son over the LAN. I've never understood the point of the "console" thing with Valve games. Why have I got to learn about things you can do from other people online? How do they know about it? "Let's see, if I bring up console and type 'ss_enable_1' and then type this other thing in maybe I can get split screen...HEY, it worked!" LOL, come on. Just like I found out how you can play the game on the LAN with one account; you've got to type all this stuff in. I would never have known just by staring at it.

The console is developer tool. Its the basic entry system for the engine, all commands are run from it (automated, of course).
But thats not the reason......
The reason is you can basically call this a "hack", cause its not supported by valve. They know its there, they know you can do it, but they wont tell you how, when, why or if.

Kinda like headshops, you can buy a pipe, but they cant tell you what its used for.

Actully theres a really good worms reverse tetris type game which was good, I think it was called worms blast, that was 2 player on 1 PC and great fun.

Street Fighter IV is coming out soon for PC. It should have multiplayer on one screen.

Also, NBA 2K9 is awesome. When I have buddies over, I love plugging in two x-360 controllers and kicking the video output to my 42" 1080p LCD TV. It looks great and is way better than the NBA Live series.

Thanks for all the options, sucks that more games aren't 2 players split screen like consoles are but i guess almost all computer players play with themselves so why make 2 player split screen games.

just been playing 4 player super bomberman its brill

in fact any emuation game will fit your bill

I haven't gotten worms to work at all for years...

I like the suggestion, but has anyone gotten it running? Specifically, worms 2.

I had it running relatively recently. I forget if I had to get a patch or something to get it to run properly, but my roommate and I played it a few times.

Also, another game I didn't see mentioned was Armagetron. It might not necessarily be as "good" a game as other ones, but it was amusing when some friends and I played it on one computer. What made it kind of funny was that we were all using the keyboard on one person's laptop, and it only recognizes so many simultaneous keys being pressed, so you can go in a safe direction, then press and hold some keys to essentially lock everyone out of being able to control their lightcycle, causing people to crash. If you set it up right, you can use game pads or wiimotes and stuff. Also, it may not have been Armagetron, but it may have been GLtron that we were playing.

If you are looking for the hack-and-slash experience get Warriors Orochi and play it with a buddy using two keyboards...it's totally epic.

Back