PayPal - Total newb, a few questions...

Decibel

2[H]4U
I've a iPod touch I've been half assedly offering for a week or two. My original intention was to sell it local - cash. I've had people come to me asking if I ship. To which my reply is send cash, or if you prefer to send a check I will ship once it clears.

Yes, I fully understand that this is expecting people to be very trusting. See above... That's also a big part of why I low-balled the price. I figure one of our [H] brethren, or sisteren, is going to get a good deal.

I have no heat and I don't use PayPal. I've however had a couple of people offer to gift me the money over PayPal.

What exactly does this mean?

What protections are there for the purchaser and myself? My goal is, as stated in my FS thread, to have both parties go home happy.

How easy is it to set up a PayPal account to get the money out of PayPal and into my bank account or grubby little mits?

TIA.

setting it up is easy, from there you can just spend the money on any site that accepts paypal (most online do)

protections can vary, someone gifting the money probably would not have any

paypal is ridiculously easy to use and surprisingly secure and reliable. if you plan on ever trading on the forums in the future, i suggest you get an account and also a heatware.com account. if its just this one item then maybe craigslist would be better, but making an account and accepting paypal will definitely widen your potential customer base.

The sender has no protection with gift payments, because they aren't intended to be used for transactions. In fact, I believe it's against Paypal's TOS to send gift payments in exchange for goods (Paypal doesn't charge fees for non-international gift payments). However, the advantage is that you can't get screwed over by the buyer if they pay you with a gift.

Selling via PayPal is easy. If you accept a credit card payment, PayPal will charge you a fee (~3% and some fixed amount). If a seller sends a gift payment, he is not entitled to any buyer protections.

Also, if you link your bank accounts (as I've done), once you receive the payment, you can have Paypal transfer it into your bank (no fees, and arrives in about 3 days)

Why use paypal? Pass.

Amazon payments is free, use that

Or google has a payment system too I believe.

Paypal is for suckers and last resort now... they were good 5+ years ago, but now they are no longer any good. Also, they don't pay 100% if you get jipped, I only got $200 back after a $1200 transaction went sour and the seller never replied to paypal even (plus to top it off we were both "verified paypal users"!)

Ebay and paypal lie about their protection plans, believe me speaking from multiple first hand experience with their "protection/0% fraud" bullshit.

You know what I say OP.....? Avoid paypal and just don't waste your time to learn it, WIN/WIN for yourself......and ebay and paypal are the same company so don't use either of those in my honest, experienced opinion. I liked them back before 2000 and used them daily, but now after being through it multiple times -- plus there being much better sites these days compared to them, I have closed both accounts at both of said sites. Just not worth the risk with my money....

Thx. for the heads up concerning Amazon payments.
I have activated this option. [to pay by e-mail]
I have never felt uncomfortable using/doing business with Amazon.com

As to PayPal I have never been 100% comfortable using it and since eBay bought/purchased this company it has me to contemplate the situation more so.

np

-eof

If someone do a chargeback, you are responsible to pay the debt in your Paypal account.

Thumbs down Paypal.

To clear up a common misconception - Paypal does offer protection for gift payments, but they don't advertise as such.

In two high-risk transactions via ebay, the buyer contacted me explaining that he had 0 feedback, and since he had 0 feedback, he could not bid in my auction. These people then offered to pay via the "gift" option. After I shipped the items, BOTH scammers contacted Paypal telling them that I instructed them to send payment via Gift, and claiming the items I sent were not right.

Paypal refunded both gift payments, leaving me out items and the $.

eBay is a different story, though. They offer different protection for eBay transactions than they do for private stuff

Back