PayPal Resolves Dispute By Draining Your Bank Account

I have thought about using those pre-paid credit cards and refill through my bank whenever I need to buy something so paypal cant pull this shit, anyone ever tried this?

Im pretty sure that it would have to have your name on it which can easily be done if you dont mind the fees those cards have. It would be OK if all you ever want to use is Ebay.

Heh, this could could be me!

"Way back..let say over 10 years ago, they locked my account. something about a scam or something and I need to provide proof. They asked for 3 things, I gave them the 3 things and my account was still locked.... I didn't have any money in it... I think my bank account might still be linked to it...that part scares me a little..."

Fuck those criminal scumbags at PayPal. The more who realize how happy they are to fuck you over the better, and may more websites find out and start talking about what PayPal demand of your site in order to allow you to use their services through it.

You can unlink and remove bank accounts from your Paypal account but they still keep records of it on their end.

I have thought about using those pre-paid credit cards and refill through my bank whenever I need to buy something so paypal cant pull this shit, anyone ever tried this?

that works but you can still be out the money on the cards. best is to get a good bank and use their card. and if you don't authorized them they can not touch your actual bank account. and the bank will enforce that

this why they are always going one about becoming "verified", ie given them access to your bank account. Not only is it cheaper for them but they gain a lot of power over you.

I just closed my account yesterday because now that I think about it, I don't use paypal that much anymore and I rather use Google Checkout or something now.

Paypal stole $400 from me...i hope some day some mighty regulatory hammer falls on them with a resounding thud...

Wow. I'm glad this thread came up. I quit using Ebay over a year ago and had pretty much forgotten about my PayPal account. I logged in and cancelled the account.
As far the "fairness" of Ebay transactions; it is a known joke. Their supersellers easily get away with selling junk, but because they bring in so much money for Ebay, they are NOT going to rule against them in a dispute.

If you want to do eBay (and really, who doesn't) then you have no practical choice other than Paypal.

At the end of the day you can rage all you want but eBay is still the best place to sell stuff for a lot more than you can get on the trade forum here and likewise buy some things (not computer stuff) for a lot less than you could possibly get it elsewhere.

Google Checkout was stillborn the second eBay banned it as payment option on eBay.

I got tired of their "we play god" attitude about my/other people's money long ago, but I found a way to keep an honest working relationship with them.

I kept my paypal, closed out the accounts linked to it, and now keep just enough on it ($ .92 atm) to keep it active. I use MoneyPaks to load it up when it's needed for purchases. Yeah, it costs to load it, but I see that as nothing more than paying for the service they provide, and it's still cheaper than trying to cash a check at any given BoA without holding one of their accts.

In the OP case...most they'd get while screwing up "in my favor" would be 92 cents. I'm good with that.

ebay&paypal are necessary evils. open up a free bank account w/like $10min. dedicated for paypal. nowadays, new laws prohibit over-drawing so you're covered.

I've personally not had problems with Paypal other than being annoyed at their policy, but I knew what their policy was. I purchased a $300-ish item on eBay and got nothing for a week, not even an email from the seller, but my bank shows that he withdrew from it. I disputed it with Paypal and they said that they would contact the seller and they'll have 30 days to contact me before Paypal can do anything for me.

I was lucky, however, that the seller re-deposited my money in less than 24 hours after I disputed it. Feels like he was seeing whether he can get away with it or not.

ebay&paypal are necessary evils. open up a free bank account w/like $10min. dedicated for paypal. nowadays, new laws prohibit over-drawing so you're covered.

who offers a free checking account with a $10 minimum and no fees?

You can unlink and remove bank accounts from your Paypal account but they still keep records of it on their end.

yes, but when you unlink a bank account, they shouldn't be allowed to withdraw from it anymore.

If you don't want to pay $5, you can also link paypal to your cell phone and require an SMS sent to your phone to be entered on the web site each time you log in.

If you have a smartphone you can also download the Verisign VIP application to generate the security id's

I just closed my account yesterday because now that I think about it, I don't use paypal that much anymore and I rather use Google Checkout or something now.

Hah... so did I..... but instead of not using it frequently... i never used it at all.

never had a problem with paypal and id like to keep it that way.... this thread makes me wonder if i should get out now before something does happen but i buy about 85% of my pc parts from for sale/trade forums so what the heck im i supposed to do? gasp

The thing that bothers me about PayPal is when you sell your stuff on eBay, fraud buyers would try to file a false dispute claim saying they never got the item and PayPal usually sides with them. PayPal's system is so flawed so many scammers are using it towards their advantage. PayPal needs to really fix this shit or either GTFO.

I've heard many scams about people listing and selling their cars, and these scammers want to "pay" by PayPal and do a pickup, and once they get the car and do a false dispute claiming the car was never received. Is PayPal so stupid not to notice this and they side with the scammer?

I've heard many scams about people listing and selling their cars, and these scammers want to "pay" by PayPal and do a pickup, and once they get the car and do a false dispute claiming the car was never received. Is PayPal so stupid not to notice this and they side with the scammer?

One of my friend's uncle had the same problem but with monitors.

Just closed my account. Not like i was using it for much anyway. This was just the last straw.

Pretty much, if I remember right Google checkout was no fees for like a year or something, but after that it's pretty much the same as paypal.

I have 2 checking accounts, one with like $50 which is linked to paypal, and my other main one which isn't. So if anything does happen with paypal I don't have much to worry about. If I ever have bigger purchases requiring paypal I just transfer it between my accounts (instant) and pay with paypal (also instant from my bank). Which is handy...

Are the fees for amazon payments and google checkout just as high as paypal?

Amazon payments has no fees for a personal account but you are limited to 1k each way in CC transactions per month after you confirm your own accounts.

Amazon payments has also been much faster for me when moving money into my bank account.

So what are the advantages to amazon payments or google checkout in comparison? That they don't have a reputation for these kinds of problems?

Amazon payments has no fees for a personal account but you are limited to 1k each way in CC transactions per month after you confirm your own accounts.

Amazon payments has also been much faster for me when moving money into my bank account.

ah I see - thanks

i hear cases like this all the time from forums members, however, I have had the same paypal account for 10 years, linked to both my credit card and checking account.

Unlike my shady Capital One Accounts, I have NEVER had any false or unauthorized charges posted to my account. And when some troll on ebay $&%*s me over, through their resolution center, and a 20 day wait, I have reclaimed my money, successfully

I am not saying their perfect, Its just hard for me to identify with you guys, when I have had an excellent experience with them so far..

Back