PayPal Invoices......

Mut1ny

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else refuse to do them? From what I can tell they provide no further protection and are just a waste of my time. Am I missing something or are people just under false ideals?

I only use them If someone needs a physical receipt with a detailed written description of what they purchased for various reasons.

Anyone else refuse to do them? From what I can tell they provide no further protection and are just a waste of my time. Am I missing something or are people just under false ideals?

No, invoice is a useful tool for more expensive used items.

PayPal seller protection is nearly non existent. Theirs tons of protection for the buyer but specifically seller protection although mentioned by PayPal is near impossible to get. Being able to detail exactly what you're selling... and also listing any faults in detail IS important.

I sold some hardware with cosmetic damage in June of last year. Sent pics to the guy and let him know it works flawlessly but has some cosmetic damage.

He changed his mind and claimed I sold him a damaged item... Except I had listed the damage extensively in the invoice and mentioning the sale was as-is.

I WON that PayPal dispute. Their's no way I would have won that if I just let him pay. I would have never been able to list the fact that it was as-is and with cosmetic damage.

I don't think you understand how significant that is. It's damn near impossible to win a PayPal dispute as a seller.

PayPal invoice isn't useless at all. It's not needed for little shit like $100 to $200 bucks. But it's useful on high value used hardware.

Last edited:
i have done larger sales with 20+ different items or a large quantity of items for all of those its nice to have a list of everything so both parties know exactly whats being exchanged. and they are pretty dang quick to do i feel it would take more time to say "i dont do invoices" then to just do it.

No, invoice is a useful tool for more expensive used items.

PayPal seller protection is nearly non existent. Theirs tons of protection for the buyer but specifically seller protection although mentioned by PayPal is near impossible to get. Being able to detail exactly what you're selling... and also listing any faults in detail IS important.

I sold a Lenovo Y50-70 i7 gaming laptop in June of last year. Sent pics to the guy and let him know it works flawlessly but has some body damage.

He changed his mind and claimed I sold him a damaged item... Except I had listed the damage extensively in the invoice and mentioning the sale was as-is.

I WON that PayPal dispute. Their's no way I would have won that if I just let him pay. I would have never been able to list the fact that it was as-is and with cosmetic damage.

I don't think you understand how significant that is. It's damn near impossible to win a PayPal dispute as a seller.

PayPal invoice isn't useless at all. It's not needed for little shit like $100 to $200 bucks. But it's useful on high value used hardware.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I actually learned something from this post.Thanks!

I have refused to do invoices in 99% of cases. Be prepared to pay taxes on any invoice you issue.
The people who requests them use it as an expense write-off. So long as you understand an invoice is an official business transaction, not a forum trade.

I also like invoices because it can help alleviate typos when sending payment. I've had people send me their paypal email and mis-type it so if they send an invoice, I know the payment is going to the right place.

Invoices also benefit those that want to use Paypal Credit and take advantage of the 0% for 6 months. You used to be able to just do normal pay for goods and get this but they amended the rules I believe July 2018 to where normal goods purchases were treated as a normal transfer funds transaction in turn the Paypal Credit account user would then be charged interest on said purchase. The invoice is treated as a sale therefore qualifies for promotional financing.

The notes section on a goods transaction really doesn't hold the same weight as having the detailed item listed along with any description notes about what is being sold. IE an invoice will hold much more weight should a claim be filed then just a note on a goods purchase.

The other benefit of an invoice is to be certain the right email is used. It's easier to cancel an invoice than it is to reclaim a payment to a wrong address.

In 15+ years of trading on HF and Anandtech, I never got asked for an invoice...not once. Been using HardwareSwap on Reddit for a while now and almost every buyer wants an invoice.

I've gotten a couple of invoices. But then I trusted the fellas I was dealing with.

It's just another option

Recently I have been invoiced or been asked for invoices here more than ever in the past. Personally I'm happy to oblige. Everything can be detailed for both parties and referred to if there are questions. I have no problem documenting the deal and not afraid to write down anything promised. It goes both ways and many times makes people more comfortable. Not a big deal.

As a seller I insist on using an Invoice. It's a courtesy to the buyer (they get a receipt which gives them warm fuzzies), and as a seller the invoice is a very handy CYA tool as it's a formal document.

Back