Paypal Asking for Proof of SSN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triarii3

Gawd
When I log into my paypal account. It asks for proof of SSN other wise I can't add fund to it. I have been adding and using this account since 2006. Has any of you encountered this from paypal?

Never heard of such a thing, call them and speak to a person.

It's possible you hit a transaction limit.

Tell them you're an HARDOCP member you dont need proof of a solid state drive :-P Just kidding, this happens when they think you may be using someone elses paypal account or moved to a new address many factors can cause a flag on their system. it's happened to me many times when moving and such. Just be prepared to hand over the info or get black listed until you do.

Paypal has my SSN and I am aware of three other people who have had to input that information too(one of them begrudgingly).

Haven't noticed a pattern in what sets it off so it could very well just be a 'time-bomb 'of sorts if it doesn't get flagged for something explicitly.

Its legit and you will need to prove your identity in some fashion to them , although there are other ways , most of the time it seems they want your SSN....If your not comfortable giving it to them, call them up and see if they will let you verify another way

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/helpcenter/article/?solutionId=1264796&m=SRE

The US Patriot Act requires PayPal to implement a Customer Identification Program (CIP). Each country or region has specific CIP requirements for the collection of customer data. Some examples of the information we collect and verify can include your name, physical address, date of birth, and National/Tax ID number (SSN). To verify your identity, we use a National Database to obtain a positive match of legal name, address, date of birth, and SSN.

Please Note: Sometimes finding your information using the National Database doesn't work because the information is unavailable or your name or address has changed.

If we cannot verify your personal information, we’ll ask you to send us documentation through our Resolution Center that confirms your identity.

Here is a list of the document options you can send us to help confirm your identity, address, and SSN:

Proof of Identity:
Driver’s license
Passport
State or Government issued ID
Proof of Address:
Utility Bill
Bank Statement
Credit Card Statement
Proof of SSN:
Social Security Card
Tax Return Documents
W2
Paycheck Stubs

its legit, happened to me a while back. I honestly didn't know you could use paypal for anything more than like $500 without SSN/bank/firstborn :p

They ask for mine before I can use my PayPal card, so I just told them to cancel the card. Other than that my account works fine.

I had this same issue with Amazon Payments. After registering they locked my account and asked for one of either 1. Copy of SSN Card, Copy of Birth Cert, Copy of Passport.

I told them to pound sand and closed the account. I don't share any of that info freely for obvious reasons.

I use Paypal and Dwolla now. I wish Dwolla was more common as the fees are really low compared to Paypal.

This is 100% legit and any service that transfers money is required to be aware of who is transferring money using their service. Anytime you open a bank account, credit card, take out a loan, etc. you have to give your SS #. Paypal is nothing different. They verify the information electronically with the SSA and cover their ass to ensure they aren't helping people launder money, fund terrorism, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back