PayPal Accidentally Gives Man $92 Quadrillion

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even though this was no fault of his own, PayPal will no doubt lock his account for 180 days while they "investigate." :D

Delaware County resident Chris Reynolds received just such a shocking delivery from PayPal on Friday, when he opened his monthly statement from the online money-transfer company via email and saw that his ending balance was $92,233,720,368,547,800.

thats awesome and of course paypal will want it all back, maybe that was all the fees they collected from ripping off everyone?

The entire solar system isn't worth that much. Much less the earth. Good luck collecting. :D I'd sue.

The entire solar system isn't worth that much. Much less the earth. Good luck collecting. :D I'd sue.

well, I'm sure uranus is worth quite a lot ;)

the story reminds me of the bank clerk who fell asleep while pressing the "2" key and transferred EUR 222.222.222,22 lol

Eh, do a few quick transfers of some tens of millions to the Cayman's a few to some Swiss accounts, spread it out hoping someone lets it slide, then move there and enjoy your wealth :D

Delaware County resident Chris Reynolds received just such a shocking delivery from PayPal on Friday, when he opened his monthly statement from the online money-transfer company via email and saw that his ending balance was $92,233,720,368,547,800
After opening the email, he donated $30 to the Democratic slate for Delaware County Council.

hahahahahahah :rolleyes:

It'll make a good story. How many people can say that they were, for a short period of time, the richest person in the history of civilization.

If only he got some interest for the few minutes it was in his account.
Were each minute to only net him .0000001% interest (1x10 -7 %), he would make $9,223,372,036 per minute!!

Unlucky.

My employer once owed me I think it was $22 billion for driving 80 km in my personal car.

SAP has some sort of mental breakdown about miles vs kilometers, or something :rolleyes:

Id quickly use some of the cash to buy paypal and close it down before they knew something was wrong.
And just to make sure, id also buy the whole planet and make myself the emperor too.

thats awesome and of course paypal will want it all back, maybe that was all the fees they collected from ripping off everyone?
A lot of large, med, and small companies use PayPal alongside other services (including multiple banks like US Bank, Bank of America, etc), from industrial to whatever. If PayPal were so evil and thievy, nobody would use PayPal, rite? :D

A lot of large, med, and small companies use PayPal alongside other services (including multiple banks like US Bank, Bank of America, etc), from industrial to whatever. If PayPal were so evil and thievy, nobody would use PayPal, rite? :D

Yes, because usage determines the level of not evil-ness, obviously :p

He should withhold the funds from PayPal for 6 weeks.... Just to make sure

Another angle of this story is why the hell won't Paypal be slapped with an overdraft charge? I take 1 penny more out of my account than is there (well if I were.. I don't because I'm not so poor that an normal transaction can drain my account) then I'd get slapped with an overdraft fee, then some other fee because I no longer have sufficient funds, then another over draft fee on that because I didn't have the money to pay the sufficient fund fee.

"I'm a very responsible guy," he said. "I would pay the national debt down first."

Right, nothing says responsibility like showing other people that they can rack up big debt with poor money management, and then others will come along and pay off their debt.

[/soapbox]

People use banks, and they're evil and thievy. Paypal is even more so.

They get away with more because they arent "classed" as a bank so cant be regulated like one.

Another angle of this story is why the hell won't Paypal be slapped with an overdraft charge? I take 1 penny more out of my account than is there (well if I were.. I don't because I'm not so poor that an normal transaction can drain my account) then I'd get slapped with an overdraft fee, then some other fee because I no longer have sufficient funds, then another over draft fee on that because I didn't have the money to pay the sufficient fund fee.

This is the gospel!

Hope he quickly made a debit card and bought a ton of shit with 1-day delivery.:eek:

If he spent it they would want it back. But that idea about paying down the national debt is priceless. "Sorry, Paypal, I gave it all to the US Government! Good luck!"

Damn, I had a bank error a few years ago that put about 20 mil in my account, I got a rather unfriendly call from the bank my company uses for payroll saying that if I touched the money they would sue for electronic money fraud...

His balance never changed anyways. It was just the statement mailed to his house that was incorrect. Unless I read the article incorrectly.

Damn, I had a bank error a few years ago that put about 20 mil in my account, I got a rather unfriendly call from the bank my company uses for payroll saying that if I touched the money they would sue for electronic money fraud...

I would have said if you threaten me again and don't start being super nice I'm wiring it all over the world, leaving, and fucking ruining your career. :p

I would have shot back, "go right ahead, I already spent a few million on a damn good team of lawyers"

Back