“Pay with Google” Officially Launched

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
You can now check out quickly with any card in your Google Account at certain retailers: when you pay with Google, you can use any of the credit or debit cards you’ve added to your Google Account from products like Google Play, YouTube, Chrome, or Android Pay. Google sends the merchant your payment info and shipping address using the information from your account—no typing required. Then, the merchant will handle all the details just like any other purchase.

If you’ve ever paid for something on your phone or tablet, you know just how frustrating checkout can be. Maybe you had to fill in a bunch of forms. Maybe your session timed out. Maybe you encountered an error and had to start all over again. Back in May, we shared a sneak peek of how paying with Google would help you skip all that. And starting today you can now speed through online checkout on many of your favorite apps and websites with a few quick clicks.

I've never understood the appeal of these Google and Apple payment services.

I already ahve a credit card in my pocket. A quick swipe and I'm done. How does using my phone instead make that any easier/better?

And why would I want to add another middleman into the mix, with all the security issues that implies?

No thanks, I don't want it that easy to spend money.

I already ahve a credit card in my pocket. A quick swipe and I'm done. How does using my phone instead make that any easier/better?

And why would I want to add another middleman into the mix, with all the security issues that implies?

It's appealing to them, because it is another way to data mine.

Sure and my only counterpoints are:
1) thanks to the fucking STUPIDLY LONG chip card insert time it can actually be FASTER to use these services.
2a) This is actually more secure than swiping or even the watered down chip and sign bullshit the US has (versus chip and PIN which is more secure). How is this? Well, the vendors don't get your card to store, only the one time token so no more issues with Home Depot/Staples/Target getting hacked!
2b) If you get your wallet stolen you have to call all your banks to get stuff reissued and all kinds of nonsense. With Apple pay you just remotely wipe your device. You don't even need to get new cards issued. Easy.

Well, yeah. Obviously.

But what do the users get out of it? Why would anyone sign up for it?

Because:
Sure and my only counterpoints are:
1) thanks to the fucking STUPIDLY LONG chip card insert time it can actually be FASTER to use these services.
2a) This is actually more secure than swiping or even the watered down chip and sign bullshit the US has (versus chip and PIN which is more secure). How is this? Well, the vendors don't get your card to store, only the one time token so no more issues with Home Depot/Staples/Target getting hacked!
2b) If you get your wallet stolen you have to call all your banks to get stuff reissued and all kinds of nonsense. With Apple pay you just remotely wipe your device. You don't even need to get new cards issued. Easy.

but to counter his response:

1) It's not THAT long. How much of a rush are you in that you can't stand there for another 10-20 seconds? Want it to be faster? Use cash.
2a) Nothing is secure. Sure it might be a little bit more secure, until Apple or Google get hacked.
2b) Working for a cellphone company, I can tell you that 8/10 customers don't have their devices backed up, they don't know their login information for their devices to remotely wipe them, and, they don't always have pins or patterns for their lock screens. Plus, if you lose your card, you get a new card in the mail for free. If you lose a phone, that's a huge out of pocket cost.

For a chip, id agree on not wanting to use this. For a swipe, hell no. Skimmers are way too common. Id much prefer a scrambled symbol to swiping.

Cause with a service like this your actual credit card number never gets revealed?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone read the article. This is not android pay, using your cell phone at a retail store/business.

This appears to be an option for payment with things online. There will be another option that says "pay with google", similar to the "pay with PayPal" options you currently see.

On a side note for Zarathustra, I use android pay and find it convenient. I also use Google assistant and have found that it is life changing :)

Cause with a service like this your actual credit card number never gets revealed?

It doesn't with a chip system either.

But it is true that there are still some swipe machines left out there, and then there is online paying.

But I mostly use PayPal for that. No need for another service.

Because:

1) It's not THAT long. How much of a rush are you in that you can't stand there for another 10-20 seconds? Want it to be faster? Use cash.
2a) Nothing is secure. Sure it might be a little bit more secure, until Apple or Google get hacked.
2b) Working for a cellphone company, I can tell you that 8/10 customers don't have their devices backed up, they don't know their login information for their devices to remotely wipe them, and, they don't always have pins or patterns for their lock screens. Plus, if you lose your card, you get a new card in the mail for free. If you lose a phone, that's a huge out of pocket cost.

1) Agreed. I've wasted more time in line at Publix while the hipsters figure out why their phone isn't making the payment as they wave it at the PoS. (not meant as Piece of Shit, but yeah it is)
2a) You bet that's right.
2b) Another bingo imo, call me the old "get off my lawn guy", I don't give a shit, I'll wear it as a badge of honor at 47 years old. I have no interest in making my phone my wallet, set in my ways and I've misplaced my phone, never misplaced my wallet.

Don't worry folks, us dino's will be dead soon and the world is yours :)

Because:

1.) Cash is never as fast as apple pay in my experience. I use it all the time at walgreens, bestbuy, clothing stores its literally a ONE second instant authentication and I dont have to worry about physical money and change.
2a) apple doesnt even store the actual card for certain credit card companies like Discover. The card number is a virtual one and doesnt even match up to your physical card which is by far more secure. It only shows the Last 4 digits also.
2b) if you lost your phone you still have your card. Also apple pay so far doesnt work without some type of biometric authentication. Also if you lose it its really easy to deactivate it through your credit card company and again you still have your physical card pretty easy to skim if you lost your card anyways. If you were still going to lose your phone it wouldnt matter would it?

Apple pay etc. is the way of the future IMHO. Its immensely safer than a physical card, faster than cash or chip/swipe, more convenient, easy to manage and highly integrated (for example when I go to walgreens when I pay with Apple pay the walgreens rewards automatically pops up and applies the rewards without me having to do anything other than pay. Target cartwheel in the wallet app is super handy as well.) I also plan on going to japan and Apple has supported the train system cards as well so I dont have to worry about that in the future. If I had a Samsung phone Samsung Pay is pretty sweet too, works everywhere.

If I'm not mistaken, I think this works in online shopping?

For online shopping using middleman like paypal is more secure. At least small retailers don't have your credit card info stored in plain text on their potato computer.
But from the OP's post, it seems that this google pay only simplifies the typing part....your card info still goes to the retailer. What's the point?

btw, I can see using services like apple pay in physical store has it's advantage. You don't have to worry about the POS being tempered, or details on your card is captured by camera.
But then personally I never use those. If my card got jacked I'll just tell my bank to sort it out for me.

There was already a product like this, from google, I don't even know what the difference is now or why it is "launching". I guess its just the mobilization of it? Integration with finger print. Not really sure. But maybe its like their 4 instant messengers.

Also a lot of you seem to be talking about physical retail locations. This announcements seems to be more about online stores, and using your phone to more easily checkout on them.

I don't think anyone read the article. This is not android pay, using your cell phone at a retail store/business.

This appears to be an option for payment with things online. There will be another option that says "pay with google", similar to the "pay with PayPal" options you currently see.

On a side note for Zarathustra, I use android pay and find it convenient. I also use Google assistant and have found that it is life changing :)
Correct. No-one read the article it seems but just dove into the forums :)

This is a payment system for online, not comparable to Apple Pay.

Back